Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please help - COMPUTER GENIOUS needed

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I use AVG and to date have never had an problems with it. They even normally beat the likes of McAfree and other paid for AV with updates when new viruses hit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sorry MYOB...:(

its have a pop at DTG day

:nono:

Sigull

'Arte et Marte'
Jul 16, 2003
Bracklesham Bay
as an aside to these probs..can anyone tell me why my computer clock keeps going wrong ?

I have switched the internet time sync off and on but every now & again when I boot up it shows the wrong time:jester: :nono:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
right i am getting the right f***ing arse with this computer of mine!!

my mate is coming over in the week to try those ideas everyone kindly gave me - but now it keeps turning the internet connection off every 5 f***ing minutes - SO anoying - any ideas?
:rolleyes:

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
go to
www.cnet.com and then click downloads at top of page,when that opens in the search box type ad-aware
d/l that install and then click update to get latest files
Run that and let it pull out all the bad files and delete them.
Now as this thing keeps reinstalling I would suggest doing this -
click start - run - type in regedit and that will then list your startup files.
if you run the cursor over the adaware list of files you will see the path to that file so manually del it from regedit - BUT - BUT make sure the path is correct!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I use AVG with no probs, I'd recommend it to anyone after a decent free anti-virus scanner. I also use Zone Alarm firewall which is also free.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
cirC said:
go to
www.cnet.com and then click downloads at top of page,when that opens in the search box type ad-aware
d/l that install and then click update to get latest files
Run that and let it pull out all the bad files and delete them.
Now as this thing keeps reinstalling I would suggest doing this -
click start - run - type in regedit and that will then list your startup files.
if you run the cursor over the adaware list of files you will see the path to that file so manually del it from regedit - BUT - BUT make sure the path is correct!

cheers mate - i have ad-aware on it at the moment - i ran that and it came up with about 8 "data miner" infections. they are now cleaned - but then ran it again after turning pc back on and there was another 5 "data miner" things.

i think i need to do the REGEDIT thing but am a bit concerned i may f*** it up!!:lolol:

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
regedit is easy to do
get ad-aware to pull out the crap again and with regedit opened click on the first trogan (whatever it is ) the path will be listed
hotkey/currentuser/software/policies/

just click on the path through regedit untill you get to the source.Then left click mouse and del the f***er.
Do it for all then reboot and run ad-aware again.If its clear great if not then somewhere on your system is a prog that reinstalls when you boot up.So you have got to find it,so hows about going to cnet/ then d/ls & type winpatrol& d/l that
From that you can see what is in your startup boot and if the prog is not recognised a a genuine prog you have the option to disable.
Try and see what turns up.
I'll be around later abd if your puter still has a problem perhaps we can try and resolve it.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
cirC said:
regedit is easy to do
get ad-aware to pull out the crap again and with regedit opened click on the first trogan (whatever it is ) the path will be listed
hotkey/currentuser/software/policies/

just click on the path through regedit untill you get to the source.Then left click mouse and del the f***er.
Do it for all then reboot and run ad-aware again.If its clear great if not then somewhere on your system is a prog that reinstalls when you boot up.So you have got to find it,so hows about going to cnet/ then d/ls & type winpatrol& d/l that
From that you can see what is in your startup boot and if the prog is not recognised a a genuine prog you have the option to disable.
Try and see what turns up.
I'll be around later abd if your puter still has a problem perhaps we can try and resolve it.

your a star - thanx a lot buddy - i should be logged on again later tonight - bout 9 ish - will try and fumble my way around it then - cheers mate:thumbsup:

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I had a trojan once. Looked on all the forums and they basically said 'forget it - you're buggered'. I ended up backing up all my important files onto DVD rom, resetting the PC and re-installing Windows. Bit of a pain, but in the long run a lot quicker that fannying around and pulling my hair out for days on end.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
yeah that was my next step if that forum couldnt help - just re-install the complete operating system - what a f***ing pain though.

there are some very helpful, friendly people on that site and fingers crossed i am almost there now!!:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here