Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing the gus way

Watching the extended highlights, realised the two moments I found myself feeling slightly frustrated with the ball going backwards ended up with the goal and sparrow's shot in the first half. So clear reminder, that in Gus we trust!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think this is why a lot of the grumbles seem to be coming from the WSU. Being so high up it is really easy to spot the "killer ball" that would put someone clean through, but it must be harder to see that pass on the pitch. I've done it myself, groaning when an seemingly obvious pass or through ball isn't played, but have to remind myself the view I've got is probably a lot better than the players view.

excellent point, matched with us having no players with the vision or ability to make a defence splitting pass (bring back Danny Wilson?) .

The timing of Calderon's goal justified our style of play, however we played the same style against West Ham (a better team that City) and got nowhere.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We should thank our lucky stars that we don't support Swansea, who have made the sixth highest number of passes in EUROPE this season.

Apart from two promotions in three years and being mid table in the Premiership, they have achieved NOTHING by ignoring route one football.

I have no idea what it actually, but I'd love to see the stats for Swanseas % of backwards passes compared to ours.

And what is it with people like the thread starter who cannot fathom the idea that there may be something inbetween the two poles of Stoke style route one and barcelona's passing game? Wanting the ball to go forward a bit more doesn't mean you want Dunk to smash it 60 yards up the pitch for CMS to chase after.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think our problem currently is with the pace of our passing in key areas. The slow build up is fine if it creates gaps/opportunities. Where we have been failing is to make the right decisions when the gaps don't appear and in the last few games there are signs we are addressing that with shots from deep that we weren't even trying through November/December and JFC breaking through from midfield into dangerous positions ahead of the strikers. We have the players and if we could combine that with the fast and early angled passes that tore Cardiff apart in our best performance of the season we would potentially be a force to contend with.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Only with JFC in the side did we start to have the ability to play it through the middle a little more incisively. Injuries to the likes of Dicker and Vicente meant we had no intelligence in the centre to keep the ball moving. I suppose that's what Harley was perhaps meant to be, but hasn't yet cut it. It's not always about playing the killer pass but just keeping possession in the way we did at Charlton away last year with movement and pace and carefreely. So much of it is about confidence and having that player to go through. As long as JFC gets over his dead leg and Vicente gets to grips with whatever injuries lay him low, then we have that and can outwit opponents who can't expect the unexpected.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I have no idea what it actually, but I'd love to see the stats for Swanseas % of backwards passes compared to ours.

And what is it with people like the thread starter who cannot fathom the idea that there may be something inbetween the two poles of Stoke style route one and barcelona's passing game? Wanting the ball to go forward a bit more doesn't mean you want Dunk to smash it 60 yards up the pitch for CMS to chase after.

To be honest, if that long-range pass is on, I would want Dunk to smash it 60 yards for CMS to chase after!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To be honest, if that long-range pass is on, I would want Dunk to smash it 60 yards for CMS to chase after!

So would I, especially say with a decent gap between him and keeper so he has time to beat the centerbacks with his speed, my point is just that I am getting quite sick of this whole 'the Gus way is best' as though the only other thing to do with the ball is hoof it aimlessly for 90minutes.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This.

There are times when if we were just that little bit quicker to spot the and make the pass on the counter we could score a lot more goals, and lets face it that is our only problem at the moment as we are defending fine and only conceded the same as Southampton.

Exactly. The grumbles (I had a moan or two myself) were not about ball retention at all but we often slow the game right down when there is a pass forward on. A couple of time Buckley sprinted into space and the Bridcutt turned back and passed to El-Abd. In defence of the players though I sit in the WSU and so it is easier to pick out the players runs.

livewire11

Banned
Feb 10, 2011
I love the way we play football - i feel that sometimes we could be a bit more positive with the possession - I would like to see players bust a gut more to get in more creative positions!! Second half we were much better on saturday!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Trouble is, not many teams in this division will let us play our game like Bristol City did. In most games, we pass the ball around until the move breaks down, normally round about the halfway line. Nobody wants a return to hoofball, but the forward play could be a bit more incisive. IMHO, like.

I LOVE this.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Trouble is, not many teams in this division will let us play our game like Bristol City did. In most games, we pass the ball around until the move breaks down, normally round about the halfway line. Nobody wants a return to hoofball, but the forward play could be a bit more incisive. IMHO, like.

This.

I spend far too much time agreeing with you :nono:

Feb 14, 2010
When we have the ball, they dont and cant do anything to hurt us. From what I have seen, what needs work is the running off the ball when we have it and the chasing down of the ball when we dont have it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
we would have murdered City if we had had Lua Lua and/or Noone to come on as subs with 20 mins to go

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Only with JFC in the side did we start to have the ability to play it through the middle a little more incisively. Injuries to the likes of Dicker and Vicente meant we had no intelligence in the centre to keep the ball moving. I suppose that's what Harley was perhaps meant to be, but hasn't yet cut it. It's not always about playing the killer pass but just keeping possession in the way we did at Charlton away last year with movement and pace and carefreely. So much of it is about confidence and having that player to go through. As long as JFC gets over his dead leg and Vicente gets to grips with whatever injuries lay him low, then we have that and can outwit opponents who can't expect the unexpected.

Nicely put.

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
When we have the ball, they dont and cant do anything to hurt us. From what I have seen, what needs work is the running off the ball when we have it and the chasing down of the ball when we dont have it.

I agree. Movement in midfield is an essential component of possession football. Familiarity of players makes it work (plus the skill too). It is no surprise that Swansea, Newcastle, Spurs and City have all played with a core of midfield players this season and look very comfortable in the middle. Playing fast pass and move style waiting for an opportunity to break. Great to see.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Be interesting to see if Swansea stay up more than one season though . Some people forget that West Brom, Blackpool and even Reading (spit) did exactly what Swansea are doing with the same accolades.

I wonder why he has had so much success at Swansea after failure at Reading too???

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Be interesting to see if Swansea stay up more than one season though . Some people forget that West Brom, Blackpool and even Reading (spit) did exactly what Swansea are doing with the same accolades.

I wonder why he has had so much success at Swansea after failure at Reading too???

And Ipswich under George Burley. I f***ing loved that fabulous passing side they had with Richard Wright, Titus Bramble, Marcus Stewart, Matt Holland, Alan Armstrong and Jamie Scowcroft that reached 5th in the the Premier League. A great story of a smallish club rubbing shoulders with the big boys. In the second season, teams flooded the midfield with players and picked them off, and Ipswich were relegated. :(

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Passing backwards is fine but it was a little painful to see how many unnoticed runs Buckley made. I let out a groan or two but it was more of a reflex than a genuine complaint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here