Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players that smoke

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
If you had seen an Albion player buying cigarettes would you expose them on NSC????

I know that it could be perfectly innocent but it could help to explain their loss of form.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i remember bumping into Andy ritchie once in shades Royal Pav Tav ..he was smoking ...my estimation of him went down after that

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'd give them a pat on the back and tell them they were well cool.:smokin:

Last edited:

The heaviest smoker was surely Barry Lloyd, who was usually opening his second packet of Benson and Hedges prior to half time!:) Many a substitute from that era is probably suffering the effects of passive smoking, thanks to Bazza's legendary non use of subs....

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Watching Andy King (correct name?), Swindon manager, chain smoking throughout the 2-2 game earlier in the season was a throwback to Lloyd times!!!

However smoking doesn't neccessarily affect your performance as a footballer. The Brazilian midifeld maestro Socrates (who went on to become a Doctor) was also noted for smoking a packet of cigarettes a day during his football career!!!!!

Good work fella (from one smoker to another!!!)

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think Adrian Mutu of Chelsea smokes, there was a shot of him in one of the national rags last week, lighting up in a bar with Mrs Mutu. Or some bird anyway.

I think Swindon's manager smokes cigars.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Cruyff was a smoker but quit when he had a heart operation around 40.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Gazza like a tab or two, and Ossie Ardilles used to come off the training ground and light-up pretty much straight away.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was also reported in Euro '96 that the majority of French players smoked "tabs" when on a night out in Newcastle.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
60???

Are you sure it was that high?

Because he must have been practically smoking a cig CONSTANTLY (ie always with a cig in his hand) when he wasn't training or playing a game to manage that high a number

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here