Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players ratings Everton - Brighton

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Jason Steele - 7
Didn't have an awful lot to do, but handled things nicely. His high amount of game time in the pre-season has been questioned a little bit, but thought we saw the gains of it: great timing when dealing with crosses and tricky passes. Also saved the few attempts Everton had. Good game.

Jack Hinshelwood - 7
Had a really difficult first half because Everton targeted him through having Jack Harrison constantly wide on the wing regardless of how play was shaping otherwise. The battle against Harrison was a struggled and had to be resolved by pulling Dunk more to the left in second half. With the ball, Jack was great and dealt well with the wonkiness that comes with playing on the wrong side.

Lewis Dunk - 7
Dunk is Dunk. Not the most difficult game but as always solid defending.

Jan Paul van Hecke - 8
He had to sort out a number of mistakes from his rookie comrade Mats, and did it very well.

Joel Veltman - 8
Gave away possession one or two times but had a really good game and won nearly every duel and showed that any defender coming in will have to work hard to push him out of the team.

Mats Wieffer - 7
Solid duelling and decent passing. Lost the ball a couple of times when he forgot he doesn't have the time you get in the Eredivsie, but that should just be a matter of time. Overall a good PL debut.

James Milner - 7
Apart from the entirely unnecessary yellow card, Milner had a decent game though he was way too involved in the playmaking for my liking. Good, but can't see him remaining in the starting eleven when everyone is fit and ready.

Joao Pedro - 7
Spent a lot of time rather deep on the pitch, to the point that his average position ended up more defensive than Milners. The idea was clearly to get him involved on the ball a lot and he did alright, though it was visible that all connections aren't quite there yet (some passes into zones where no one is or expecting a run that doesn't come etc). The dive was embarrasing.

Kaoru Mitoma - 7
Had a good game but just like his comrade at the right wing, he suffered a little bit from the so-so playmaking from Milner, Wieffer and Pedro. Good finish on the goal but I think he could have caused the Everton defence even more trouble today.

Danny Welbeck - 8
Great game from Danny. Not only the goal but overall he was thriving playing slightly deeper than he has in the past. His days of continously doing pacy runs behind the defense over and over are gone, and has been replaced by a strong, quick all-round striker who knows when and where to get involved. Looks like we're getting another season of reliable service up front.

Yankuba Minteh - 7
He looked nervy in the start, getting several passes wrong and losing duels to Mykolenko. Eventually grew into it and showed that he will have a big impact in the PL this season. Really hard work as well. Subbed off with a concussion in his.. ribs.

Subs:
Adam Webster - 7
Solid, and some nice passes.

Simon Adingra - 7
Very adventerous and horny, with mixed results, but overall a nice display.

Gilmour, Sarmiento and Ayari didn't play enough for me to put any rating on them.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wieffer couldn't find a yellow shirt in the first 20 minutes, hid behind Everton players when we were playing out and was the primary causes of the penalty award. We were a shadow of the side that plays out from the back in the 1st half.

He improved as the game went on and there is enough there to suggest he will come good. He's also got a bit of bite which we missed last year.

To mark him the same as Minteh and Mitoma.is just plain wrong which is surprising as the OP knows more about football than most other people from his own admission.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Wieffer couldn't find a yellow shirt in the first 20 minutes, hid behind Everton players when we were playing out and was the primary causes of the penalty award. We were a shadow of the side that plays out from the back in the 1st half.

He improved as the game went on and there is enough there to suggest he will come good. He's also got a bit of bite which we missed last year.

To mark him the same as Minteh and Mitoma.is just plain wrong which is surprising as the OP knows more about football than most other people from his own admission.

:shrug: They were all good. None were great.

Just because people mainly notice a winger when he beats his man and gets the cross in, and a defensive midfielder mainly when he loses the ball in a dangerous area, doesn't mean that its all they're doing on the pitch.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
:shrug: They were all good. None were great.

Just because people mainly notice a winger when he beats his man and gets the cross in, and a defensive midfielder mainly when he loses the ball in a dangerous area, doesn't mean that its all they're doing on the pitch.
We got lucky in Centre midfield yesterday. A better team would have punished the persistent mistakes and we were fortunate that Everton were even worse in that area. Some of that is on the manager, I'm not sure what position Milner was playing at times. Playing out from defence was a constant problem until the game was done. I'm sure FH doesn't need me to tell him.

The forward four in contrast look electric, quick, direct and unplayable at times. It will be exciting watch this year. Minteh looks a bargain, Welbeck was superb, Mitoma got a goal and a red card and Pedro's movement caused a multitude of problems. We are lucky to have them all. To have a player off the bench of Adringra's quality is a frightening level of depth.

Plenty to work on prior to Man Utd though. It was far from a complete team performance.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Van Hecke had a horrific first 20mins also. Some missed passes that should have resulted in us going a goal down. He looked like the player he was against Newcastle away in one of his first starts for us. Awful.

However, his last 70mins was fine. But he was not an ‘8’.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Van Hecke had a horrific first 20mins also. Some missed passes that should have resulted in us going a goal down. He looked like the player he was against Newcastle away in one of his first starts for us. Awful.

You are right. He was trying to force balls which got us into trouble. I directed my ire at the CM's though as they often looked like they didn't want the ball. RDZ would have booted about 10 water containers over if he was still here (and interested).

The next 2 games are much harder and will tell us a bit more of where we are. Arsenal's press in particular would have ruthlessly exposed the type of build up play we saw yesterday.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do worry about Jack a bit, all well and good being versatile but probably does need to try and nail down one position.

In the youth teams where did he play? He feels a bit to slight to me to be a fullback

Mr Phil

Nov 29, 2022
I do worry about Jack a bit, all well and good being versatile but probably does need to try and nail down one position.

In the youth teams where did he play? He feels a bit to slight to me to be a fullback
He played across midfield.

He’s only been cast as a fullback for us because that’s where he came in last season during the injury crisis, and as it turned out he played quite well there last year. But it’s absolutely not his position

BrightonLoyal

Apr 1, 2020
Steele 6.5
Veltman 7.5
Van Hecke 6.5
Dunk 6.5
Hinshelwood 6
Milner 6
Wieffer 5.5
Mitoma 7.5
Pedro 6.5
Minteh 7.5
Welbeck 8

Adingra 7
Webster 6.5
Sarmiento 6.5
Gilmour 6.5
Ayari N/R

Very similar to how I saw it and a far more accurate take than the OP for me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Steele 6.5
Veltman 7.5
Van Hecke 6.5
Dunk 6.5
Hinshelwood 6
Milner 6
Wieffer 5.5
Mitoma 7.5
Pedro 6.5
Minteh 7.5
Welbeck 8

Adingra 7
Webster 6.5
Sarmiento 6.5
Gilmour 6.5
Ayari N/R
5.5, I feel Wieffer was better than just average.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
and still failed to beat Dyche… again
Just like Potter failed to ever beat Palace.

Your serve
200.gif

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Hinshelwood-7 would’ve possibly been fair if he was playing as a winger or a midfielder, but his performance as a *left back* was absolutely not a 7/10, given that he wasn’t able to defend against a single ball over the top or one-on-one

I presume Milner’s 7 consists of a 1 for the first half and a 6 for the second added together.

Well, despite all these horrific terrible performances, we kept a clean sheet and limited them to 1 shot on goal.

I suggest people add their own player ratings. Happy to talk football and argue for my points, but really can't be arsed if the level is going to be "Milner was a 1 in first half" or "player X couldn't find a single pass/win a single duel" pre-school stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here