Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players on the lash

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As far as I am concerned there is an unwritten code of conduct. If you lose at Home ( again ) and serve up total SHITE to people who have paid £ 25 to watch you as a so called professional it is not on to be seen in the Town that evening having a laugh and getting pissed up.

Its called Professional Pride.

As far as I am concerned there is an unwritten code of conduct. If you lose at Home ( again ) and serve up total SHITE to people who have paid £ 25 to watch you as a so called professional it is not on to be seen in the Town that evening having a laugh and getting pissed up.

Blimey, I'm agreeing with you. These really must be desperate times indeed.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

So, let me get this right...if they play badly they are not allowed out on a Saturday night in case they are seen by Albion supporters who are so easily offended.

Criticise them of course, and on Saturday they deserved a load of criticism, but to ban them from going out is utterly ridiculous. It won't make them play better.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh my god! I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. At the end of the day, they're young guys who had a bad day at work, and have the next day of. I'm sure most (if not all) of you have had a bad day at the office and have gone for a glass of wine after (I know I do!). If they've got a day off, then of course they should be allowed to have a night out with the guys. Sure, falling out of bars would not be good, but for heaven's sake, let them have a LIFE.
You see I can't understand attitudes like yours, I really can't. It's not about having a life, they've got a life, it's about making the best of yourself.

I dunno, maybe it's me, certainly there seem to be a fair few of you with the view: "So they go and get pissed every now and then, what's the problem?" All I can say is that if I were a not-very-good, 3rd rate professional footballer (which by definition Brighton players are) I'd be looking to make the best of my limited ability. I'm not having a go at you, you've got your opinion and that's fair enough, I guess I'm just a bit more draconian!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So, let me get this right...if they play badly they are not allowed out on a Saturday night in case they are seen by Albion supporters who are so easily offended.

Criticise them of course, and on Saturday they deserved a load of criticism, but to ban them from going out is utterly ridiculous. It won't make them play better.

I don't see what is so hard to understand. NO don't ban them from going out. Pop down the local for a couple, go for a meal with this missus but NOT having a lads night out getting pissed up in the middle of Brighton and then night clubbing after they served up SHIT to the paying fans, some of whom will and did see them out.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As nearly every fan there on Saturday was half-arsed and shite I think they should abstain from drinking till our next home so they can contribute a little more than whining like old ladies

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The players don't pay money to watch the fans though do they ?.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would being totally rat arsed last Saturday evening have any affect on next Saturday's performance? If the answer is yes then ban it but as the answer is no there is no problem. I would sooner they do that Saturday evening and come in this morning raring to go to put right their mistakes so they dont happen again. That would show commitment not avoiding the public and sitting at home with a couple of bottles of wine after a defeat.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't see what is so hard to understand. NO don't ban them from going out. Pop down the local for a couple, go for a meal with this missus but NOT having a lads night out getting pissed up in the middle of Brighton and then night clubbing after they served up SHIT to the paying fans, some of whom will and did see them out.

I do understand what you are saying and the reasons why you are saying it. It is your view on a particular situation and I fully respect that.

I just wouldn't go so far as demanding that they shouldn't be seen out enjoying themselves in front of us if they play badly.

I believe that no player deliberately plays badly but when they do there should be some 'punishment'. However, in my view it should be a 'football' punishment like extra training, being dropped, etc.

It's only my opinion but if I had seen the players out on the lash on Saturday the thought that they shouldn't because it offended my sensibilities, just wouldn't occur to me. If I believed their 'partying' affected their next performance that's another matter.

Football, more than anything else seems to divide opinions so sharply - you only have to look at 'Player Ratings' each week to see that! This is another of those occasions, I guess.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
At least our lot don't do this:
Footballer 'broke woman's nose'

Mr King claims he is the victim of mistaken identity
A Premier League footballer broke a woman's nose with a single punch after saying, "Don't you know who I am? I am a millionaire", a jury has been told.

Wigan Athletic striker Marlon King, 29, also "sexually touched" the woman, 20, London's Southwark Crown Court heard.

The attack in a Soho bar after she had rejected his advances was a piece of "gratuitous" violence, jurors heard.

Mr King, a married father-of-three, denies sexual assault by touching and causing actual bodily harm.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was injured by Mr King at the Soho Revue Bar in December, the court was told.

Marlon King took one step backward and smashed her in the face with a clenched fist

Roger Daniells-Smith, prosecuting
On the night of the incident, she had been with a group of "sporty type" friends.

Another footballer and sports journalist were also there, but Mr King was not part of the group.

Describing the alleged touching by the accused, Roger Daniells-Smith, prosecuting, said: "They were complete strangers to each other.

"It was not an accidental brushing or innocent contact that occasionally happens in crowded bars. This was deliberate and sexual."

The woman responded by saying: "Don't do that, it's not nice. Don't touch me."

Women 'recoiled'

Mr King then turned his attention to other women in the party, the court heard.

Mr Daniells-Smith said: "They, too, recoiled from his touching them and told him very clearly to stop behaving in this manner."

The prosecution alleges that Mr King simply turned his attention back to the eventual victim.

Describing that exchange, Mr Daniells-Smith said that Mr King began: "Don't you know who I am? I'm a millionaire."

The court heard that his alleged victim replied by saying: "I don't care who you are, take your millionaire self away from our table".

He was given further warnings but continued to stroke the woman's hair and then allegedly told her that she was not in his league.

After she pushed him in the chest, Mr King responded with the punch, the court was told.

Mr Daniells-Smith said: "At that moment Marlon King took one step backward and smashed her in the face with a clenched fist. He broke her nose with the blow.

"It was a completely gratuitous piece of violence against a slightly-built female.

"It was unprovoked and could not have been an act of lawful self-defence."

Mr King, who on loan at Hull City at the time, claims he has been mistakenly identified as the assailant.

The trial continues.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I really don't get some people's points of view here, footballers are professionals, paid for their skill and level of fitness. Even some semi-pro clubs have alcohol bans / limits during the season.

I doubt this story is true, their own pride surely wouldn't allow it and the would be voluntarily looking for extra training? (or f**king should be)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't believe the sanctimonious fuckers on here who periodically post crap about the fact that some muppet decides to comment on the fact that he has seen players out 'on the lash'. Doesn't say how many drinks they had, whether they were falling about pissed but regardless of that the NSC morons club believe every word and start posting shit.

Yes, we were all pissed off with the performance on Saturday but for fucks sake they haven't got a game till next Saturday. Morons bang on about extra training, what, during the night! Do you know how much training they did on Sunday? We don't even know which players were out. If Andrew Crofts was one of them then good luck because he was our best player.

Also, why is that every mobile phone has a camera on but we never get any pictures with these shit stories.

Still, there's time for more shit from more dumb fuckers before next home game!

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
I really don't get some people's points of view here, footballers are professionals, paid for their skill and level of fitness. Even some semi-pro clubs have alcohol bans / limits during the season.

I doubt this story is true, their own pride surely wouldn't allow it and the would be voluntarily looking for extra training? (or f**king should be)

They were in there, was speaking to Adam Virgo, Jake Wright, Gary Dicker all of whom said they were dissapointed, Glenn Murray was also there but left early

didnt seem that pissed although i was hammered so who cares! they were keeping themselves to themselves, having a drink yes but not acting like knobs. cant see the big deal.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They were in there, was speaking to Adam Virgo, Jake Wright, Gary Dicker all of whom said they were dissapointed, Glenn Murray was also there but left early

didnt seem that pissed although i was hammered so who cares! they were keeping themselves to themselves, having a drink yes but not acting like knobs. cant see the big deal.

Sorry mate but you're not welcome on here. What on earth do you think you are upto posting common sense like that.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I disagree. They are ambassadors and representatives of the club. Consider the SHITE they served up and their pathetic season to date they should be laying low. To go out and get pissed up just looks like they don't give a shit. Which is probably true but Slade should have told them NOT to go out and if they did there would be repercussions.

Absolutely spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here