Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players from Gillingham era

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The thread on the Bear prompted me to look at old Gillingham programmes and was surprised to see how many players I couldn't remember. I went to all but a few games at Priestfield and several away games too, however I just can't remember anything about the following players:
Danny Davis
Lee Doherty
Phil King
Danny Mills
Kevin Nicholls
Terry Streeter
Eric Saul
Jeff Woolsey

None of these played many games so, given the dross we had our side then, they can't have been much good.

I also note from our first season in Withdean, a guy called Chris Wilder played a few games for us. Again, I have no recall of him at all (and that's really strange as he played several games). Anyone throw any light on any of these players.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Most of the above players came through our youth system and they were all crap.

Chris Wilder was a right back who actually did ok for us but he went up north and signed for Halifax to be closer to his family. He is now manager of Oxford.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It was Wilder, playing for Halifax, who skied that ball that Bobby Z spanked into the net on the volley at Withdean as it came down, if I recall correctly.

I think Nicholls was on loan for us from Charlton - a reasonable player, didn't he score a cracking free kick in a 'home' defeat to Leyton Orient at Priestfield? I seem to remember him giving it large to us at Kenilworth Rd after scoring for Luton, for no discernible reason. Little git.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think Nicholls was on loan for us from Charlton - a reasonable player, didn't he score a cracking free kick in a 'home' defeat to Leyton Orient at Priestfield? I seem to remember him giving it large to us at Kenilworth Rd after scoring for Luton, for no discernible reason. Little git.

Ah, that now rings a bell. I do remember that - my memory of the others is so faint.

It's strange. I can remember players from the 60s and 70s who only played a few games for us but much of the Priestfield era seems to be a blank.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
When you look at those names it shows how far we've come when players like Barnes and Harley regularly get a slagging off for not being good enough.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Phil King was a decent player but we very much had him on his way down.

Kevin Nicholls was also semi-decent - spent a lot of his time at Luton, can't have retired that long ago.

Chris Wilder was probably the pick of the bunch though - a good pro career and seems to be moving in the right direction in the management game now.

The rest were very forgettable, to me at least.

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
remember terry streeter only cos he i knew him from school was a good young player at the time but never really got the chance, no idea where he is now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did Kevin Nicholls also have a head that look proportionately too small for his body?

I have a vague recollection of someone (or me, possibly) shouting "Pinhead!" at him when he played against us once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here