Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

player wages

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I blame Jimmy Hill.

It has been muted that clubs are only going to be allowed to pay a percentage of their turnover in wages to players. This has to be the way to go, it will stop clubs from stupidity that has happened at clubs like Leeds. This also will level the playing field in regard to the big clubs. Chelsea for instance will only be able to pay players from their turnover not and not be bankrolled.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Les Biehn said:
I do think players should earn decent money as a lot of them have to make sacrifices to reach the level they do and their careers last 15-20 years if they're lucky but at the moment it is obscene.

And just in case they get a ghost writer to write a book so they can tell us what a hard life they have had - a earn an extra million or so from doing so

Professor P

Oct 6, 2006
The wages footballers receive have been pretty obscene for years. But its a pointless argument I'm afraid. You simply can't compare Premiership footballers to cyclists, rugby players, nurses etc. They are some of the most recognised and idolised entertainers in the world. The only people you can legitimately compare them with is film and music stars. No one cares what Jude Law or, god help us, Westlife earn. They are both world famous, generate enormous amounts of cash for their 'owners' and bring a load of joy to millions, if not billions of people, just like Premiership footballers.

We all know a nurse does a more 'important' job than a centre back for a football club. A nurse probably does a more important job than just about everyone on this site. And he/she probably hasn't got time to fanny around on a message board. But its the way of the world my friends, market forces. And since the communist model hasn't proved to be a resounding success its the way the world is likely to stay.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
In a normal business the boss does not pay the players wages out of their own pockets week in week out, they usually take a nice fat salary. If finances get bad then they make people redundant, simple as.

Wages are paid on the profit that is made for the month.

In football its the reverse. The directors bank roll these clubs, which is why the players wages are so high. It's a good way to offload dirty money and I presume cut their Tax bill.

If they paid the players wages through the earnings from the turnstills, merchandise, food etc I can guarantee with a lot of these clubs, there would not enough money to pay the players wages for that week, which iyou have got to admit is absolutely disgusting between 20-30 players.

Think about it, a club like Chelsea has 30,000 - 40,000 people through their gates every fortnight, thats a lot of customers.

What I cannot understand is how these clubs get away with it, with the banks. Football has got be one of the worst investments you can put your money in, unless of course your Man Utd who have unfortunately done things properly.

I really dont think any of these players have the slightest clue about how finance works. They just want and expect the £50k a week otherwise they start crying. I mean it must so difficult when you have got a Ferrari to pay for each week, and a house worth 5 million. Poor fuckers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here