Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Revolt at the Albion?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It was alleged when we capitulated against Stoke many players were not happy about their contract situation.

It's possible, but there is a BIG difference between the two scenarios here. Stoke was at the end of the season and no-one had been told f*** all about anything - at a time when they should be putting pen to paper or telling the club 'no thanks'. This time around, we are currently in the middle of the Christmas programme and contract talks are not generally due to start for another few weeks.

Also, I find this O'Callaghan stuff a bit baffling. For all that anyone on here knows about anything to do with the Albion players, not one single person on here seemed to have the slightest sniff of a problem regarding contracts - save the very public stuff regarding Bas.

That, plus George very proabably embarrassing Dean Hammond by mentioning his contract talks - almost certainly without his permission (would YOU give permission?) - it makes me think of a bigger agenda at play on George's part. f*** knows what, though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What an earth are you on about...?
Portlock Seagull asked a question..........I gave my answer. Are you drunk....?

Perfectly simple.

Portlock implied that the 'players' revolt' (BTW did they appoint a spokesman? is there a players' revolt?) might affect players' performances. He even raised the possibility that the players deliberately threw the game as a message to the chairman. If so, why not do it at a home match? Far more impact...

Anyhoo, you replied by saying that 'it's possible - look what happened at Swindon...' (I'm paraphrasing...)

I said in response to that, IF that's the case at Swindon, and IF that's the case now at Brighton, how come WE turned them over so easily? These issues are slow-burners - they don't come to a head overnight. And they didn't look like a bunch of pissed of players to me. So where has this supposed contract-negotiation crisis come from? Why has it only surfaced now?

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
I think the Capello logic of the Manager (in this case Chairman) of being more intelligent than the players applies here, for O,Callaghan to question his methods of working is scandolous, especially after his performance yesterday. DK is not beyond reproach but for it to be done via the press by a player working his own personal agenda is out of order. Where was O, Callaghan when DK was saving the club, spitting his dummy out of the pram, something he has obviously not grown out of.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Perfectly simple.

Portlock implied that the 'players' revolt' (BTW did they appoint a spokesman? is there a players' revolt?) might affect players' performances. He even raised the possibility that the players deliberately threw the game as a message to the chairman. If so, why not do it at a home match? Far more impact...

Anyhoo, you replied by saying that 'it's possible - look what happened at Swindon...' (I'm paraphrasing...)

I said in response to that, IF that's the case at Swindon, and IF that's the case now at Brighton, how come WE turned them over so easily? These issues are slow-burners - they don't come to a head overnight. And they didn't look like a bunch of pissed of players to me. So where has this supposed contract-negotiation crisis come from? Why has it only surfaced now?

because the contracts are now running out ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wise words.

Clubs like Albion cannot afford to pay the wages some players think they are worth. That is why a low basic can be topped up by hige bonus payments. If the players do well they stand to benefit, not only from those bonus payments or the chance of higher basic should we get promoted, but also from being in a susseccfull team will bring them to the notice of bigger clubs.

How well the players do is very much in their own hands, or feet.

BTW, as bas is cup tied, he will now lose on any any glamour tie we may get.

Hold on.....

Quite a big leap of faith there.................

Why would you suppose that the players are asking for vast sums of money.......I reckon that players are entitled to ask for what their current worth is.....

Now surely it should be down to whether DW thinks they are worth that and NOT DK........

Notwithstanding that if we havent got the money its irrelevant !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now surely it should be down to whether DW thinks they are worth that and NOT DK........

Notwithstanding that if we havent got the money its irrelevant !!

I would assume that DK says to DW you have x amount to spend on wages for the season how he spends it is up to him. Where DK comes in is if DW says you have given me x amount for wages of which we have spen y but we need to sign 2 players and pay them out of the X that you gave us is there any more available because I want to sign or keep e.g Baz Savage. Then DK says I will make available an extra £120 per week to offer Baz Savage.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Perfectly simple.

What posting did you read....?

It quite clearly says in his opening sentence..."Did the players awful display today stem from salary dissatisfaction,what with key players leaving and public critisism of the Board over contract negotiations ?" I thought I gave a reasoned reply to that.
I would suggest that the "supposed contract negotiation crisis" has emerged right now (rather than two weeks ago) because Richards has now returned (with presumably knowing what offer is to be made for him in January), Bas,s contract runs out on Monday, and George may also have been informed of a deal for him that is far from what he wants.
Coupled with other players being uncertain as to their future, it doesn,t surprise me at all that it has surfaced now.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the beginning of mcghees downfall was players unrest in public - as much as i criticised the man, i think wilkins is doing a cracking job at the minute, and i hope to god we are not about to see history repeat itself

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
the beginning of mcghees downfall was players unrest in public - as much as i criticised the man, i think wilkins is doing a cracking job at the minute, and i hope to god we are not about to see history repeat itself

The question is.......did Mcghee finally lose the plot at the Albion, because his chairman wouldn,t back him financially in the Championship.........or was he a rubbish manager..? Mcghee,s tenure at Motherwell so far does not suggest he,s a rubbish manager.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

That depends on whether the chairman will let the manager take the flak as he did last time - or whether he will accept some repsonsibility himself.

I do agree with TLO and others though - it's one bad performance, let's wait and see what happens at Yeovil tomorrow shall we?

i think the thread has raised a totally valid point, bearing in mind the young impressionable age of the players.

Glamorous to be a footballer and so think they are a prized asset in demand.

They can think whatever they like. They probably have mates that play at higher levels and boast about wages or contract perks, but if there are no clubs battering down the door to secure their playing favours, then they can try taking rumours and pie-in-the-sky to the bank.

Young and impressionable rarely suggests 'consummate professional and astute businessman'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What posting did you read....?

It quite clearly says in his opening sentence..."Did the players awful display today stem from salary dissatisfaction,what with key players leaving and public critisism of the Board over contract negotiations ?" I thought I gave a reasoned reply to that.
I would suggest that the "supposed contract negotiation crisis" has emerged right now (rather than two weeks ago) because Richards has now returned (with presumably knowing what offer is to be made for him in January), Bas,s contract runs out on Monday, and George may also have been informed of a deal for him that is far from what he wants.
Coupled with other players being uncertain as to their future, it doesn,t surprise me at all that it has surfaced now.
You did give a reasoned reply to Portlock's question. But I countered it with 'if the situation is the same at Swindon, hw come we tore them apart so easily?'

The contracts up for negotiation (about 20-odd players in this instance) don't, as a general rule, get negotiated until February/March time. So why is there talk of 'contract crisis' now?

I don't understand your point about Richards. He had no choice by to return to Ipswich, and the two clubs have been negotiating Richards' return here in January. Whether all parties can agree to such a move we'll find out next month. Until then...

The two clubs have also been in negotation for George's extended stay until the end of the season. An offer has been on the table for George since before the season started. Ipswich evidentally don't want him if the two clubs have agreed a transfer fee, and Ipswich let him play in the FA Cup. The fact that the deal might well be 'far from what he wants', but that's the reality of our situation.

Of course players are uncertain about their future, it's why they've got to play to earn it - not throw matches (as was implied) in a hissy-fit.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So we have one player who provided entertainment value and sold a few T Shirts who thinks he can get a better offer elsewhere and yes he may be playing for Arsenal next week, he could also end up at Barnet or Dagenham.

We have another who is clearly not wanted by Ipswich and thinks that by shouting his mouth off that will earn him a better deal than that which we ALREADY tabled before he came on loan.

Give me Tommy Fraser anyday, George was good in his first few games but lately I prefer Fraser anyway.

And we lose one game away from home - probably 2 because we never beat Yeovil.

And there is this conspriacy and doom and gloom.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So we have one player who provided entertainment value and sold a few T Shirts who thinks he can get a better offer elsewhere and yes he may be playing for Arsenal next week, he could also end up at Barnet or Dagenham.

We have another who is clearly not wanted by Ipswich and thinks that by shouting his mouth off that will earn him a better deal than that which we ALREADY tabled before he came on loan.

Give me Tommy Fraser anyday, George was good in his first few games but lately I prefer Fraser anyway.

And we lose one game away from home - probably 2 because we never beat Yeovil.

And there is this conspriacy and doom and gloom.
Yup. NSC is alive and kicking...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I suppose we should all be asking what the big fuss is anyway - did anyone seriously think we'd be going up with so many other bigger clubs in this division this season?

We need to see Leeds, Forest and Swansea trade places with Colchester, Blackpool and the Scunthorpes in Division above so clubs with small fan bases like ours can have a realistic crack at the championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here