Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This was the impression that I got from the Sky reports from Paul Walsh - we sounded v.impressive.
Really? We weren't at all impressive, we were playing against a league 2 side, and failed to pass it around as well as we did last year - although that's not too surprising with Bennett gone and it being early days. I was impressed with the 2 new guys. It'll be a tough game on Saturday though.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Buckley, Vincelot, Noone & Dunk all stood out
Thought Greer & Dicker didn't have great games (How Dicker got MOTM ill never know!)
The rest were just average, not bad, nothing special

This. But without the 'hand of apology', which was required one more than one occasion.

Dunk was my MoM by the way.

This how we saw it too.
Thought Gills were pretty resiliant and, if a supporter, I'd be happy with their showing apart from the stupidity that set in after 80 mins of so.
I thought we looked a bit sluggish and careless again, generally poor at getting forward quickly (or at all) to support Barnes. Some nice stuff from Noone and Buckley but only requiring their goalie to make 2 saves (one a penalty) over the entire 90 minutes sums it up for me - not incisive enough and a better team will punish the fannying about/poor decision making by Dicker and Greer.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Buckley, Vincelot, Noone & Dunk all stood out
Thought Greer & Dicker didn't have great games (How Dicker got MOTM ill never know!)
The rest were just average, not bad, nothing special

Think this is a fair assessment. My ratings would be:

Ankergren 6 : Gave some right shocking passes during the game and put our defense under unnessecary pressure, but made one outstanding save in the second half

Dunk 7.5 : Solid, good on the ball and I feel the more he plays the better he will get. Him playing so well means buying an experienced CB is less of a nessessity.

Greer 6: Poor with the ball, gave it away too often, was pretty solid at his defensive responsibilities

Painter 6.5: Ok. Decent on the ball, didnt get forward as often as would of liked.

Calderon 7: Good with the ball and got forward pretty well both halves with decent delivery

Dicker 5 : MOTM my arse. Against this oppoition should be running the show, passing was poor, looked very sow and lost the ball far too often. If he carrys on playing like he has in the first 2 he will struggle to keep his place.

Bridcutt 7: Broke up play well and got around the pitch with his usual robustness but passing wasnt with his usual accuracy.

Vincelot: 7.5: Very impressive in what he did, good touch, good passing, worked hard and looked very good all round

Noone 7 : Always goes at defenders which i love, kept trying to beat the fullback, sometimes looks outstanding and others you wish he would keep the ball. I think with time he will learn when to go at the fullback and when to keep the ball. Still had a good game

Buckley 8 : First 10 minutes started awful, poor touches and terrible passing, then when Gus changed him over to the left in the 1st half he came alive. Unbeievable pace and skill and has a good final ball. Couldnt believe how fast he was.

Barnes 6.5: Average

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ankergren's save in the 2nd half was instinctive and exceptional. - kept us in the game. Silly to get booked though 6.5

Everything but everything started with Greer. Great control of the game and I only saw one wayward long pass and once caught in possession. Covered Calde brilliantly allowing him to get forward more. 8
Calderon nearly connected twice with runs across the box to meet corners. It's a training ground move with Barnes drawing the defenders and he will score a few this season when it comes off. 7
Dunk was coolness personified with passing more careful than instinctive and is learning positional play from Greer. Deceptive pace but maybe could have been quicker to cover early on when Dicker gifted an opening. 6.5
Painter covered some serious yards and positional play makes up for lack of real pace. 6.5
Dicker MoM? How? Loses the ball too often in dangerous places in centre midfield exposing our defence to breaks at pace- it's becoming a habit. Worked hard but that's not always enough. 6
Bridcutt didn't have his best game - a little spark missing but still the most consistent midfielder overall 6.5
Vincelot ran hard and has spring heels but needs game time to determine where he fits in to the playing pattern. Promising debut and drew that awful tackle. 6.5
Barnes isn't made for the lone striker role. - better suited playing off someone but gave it everything and Mr Cool taking the penalty 6.5
Noone is so so left footed but ot doesn't really matter. Needs to learn when to pass rather than always cut inside. Effective in channels but needs to opt for staying wide and crossing more. Going to have a good season 6.5
Buckley was my MoM - they couldn't cope with his pace. Opposite to Noone in that he tended to stay wide rather than run into channels and when he did he got a slightly lucky penalty. 8

Referee was awful. 4

Tactically I'm not sure we got it quite right. A bit too deliberate perhaps but then I think the width of the pitch is still something we need to get used to and we stuttered a bit. Fluidity between players and position is clearly developing though and we have the skills to play this way and potentially destroy anyone. Just a little worry about central midfield and the need for pace and strength to cover back when mistakes are made and the attack last night lacked some va va voom with just the one traditional striker. Look forward to seeing CMS and Hoskins in harness and maybe playing without a designated front man and play with pace and movement through midfield and wide

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages

Gillingham Home (13 ratings)

Buckley 7.96
Vincelot 7.54
Noone 7.35
Dunk 7.23
Greer 7.15
Bridcutt 7.12