Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What a truly amazing day. However our first half performance did not cut the mustard. Much better in the 2nd after the subs.

Ankergren 7. Did what he had to do just fine.
Calderon 6. OK. Didn't impress too much and didn't get forward a lot.
Greer 7. Played well.
Dunk 8. I thought he was the pick of the CBs.
Painter 5. Has played a lot better.
Sparrow 6. OK. Didn't shine.
Dicker 7. Good game except kept up his habit of giving the ball away in dangerous situations.
LuaLua 4. Nothing worked for him today.
Birdcutt 8. Probably the pick of the starting midfield.
Barnes 6. OK. Had a couple of chances he should have put away.
CMS 7. Ran around a lot, but really isn't great in the air.

Subs:
Noone 8. Brilliant. Changed the game.
Buckley 8. Impressive!

Ref: 3. He was a northerner and quite obvious which side he was on.

Fans: 10

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
What a truly amazing day. However our first half performance did not cut the mustard. Much better in the 2nd after the subs.

Ankergren 7. Did what he had to do just fine.
Calderon 6. OK. Didn't impress too much and didn't get forward a lot.
Greer 7. Played well.
Dunk 8. I thought he was the pick of the CBs.
Painter 5. Has played a lot better.
Sparrow 6. OK. Didn't shine.
Dicker 7. Good game except kept up his habit of giving the ball away in dangerous situations.
LuaLua 4. Nothing worked for him today.
Birdcutt 8. Probably the pick of the starting midfield.
Barnes 6. OK. Had a couple of chances he should have put away.
CMS 7. Ran around a lot, but really isn't great in the air.

Subs:
Noone 8. Brilliant. Changed the game.
Buckley 8. Impressive!

Ref: 3. He was a northerner and quite obvious which side he was on.

Fans: 10

I'm happy to go with all those ratings. The only thing I dont agree with is the CMS comment. I actually thought he done OK in the air today, he was up against taller defenders and although he didnt score with his head I thought he won a fair few headers that he had no right to really.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Thought CMS was ok in the air to be honest. Had a couple of good glancing headers on goal. Dunk would be my man of the match though. Thought he was really good

mrbigshot

Dec 15, 2009
Mid Sussex
i agree bridcutt, nooney and buckley were brilliant I though, dunk was also good, i completely agree with you [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], although maybe the ref's rating could be a bit lower

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Harsh on Painter, thought he played alright. Thought Calderon did better than you suggest too, he was good in defence.

Didn't think Dicker did very well today, not sure he'll be up to it against some of the better teams. Would love to be proved wrong as I really like him as a player on his day, but we won't get away with giving the ball away as much this year.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
KLL wasn't that bad - just a bit anonymous. Sparrow and Dicker were likewise in the first half, although Dicker came into the game more as it went on

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Only based on the HD stream I was watching but..

Ankergren 7 - The goal was unfortunate, otherwise scarcely had a shot to save. Distribution was fine and kicking looked solid.
Calderon 6 - Seemed slightly reigned in and very aware of his defensive duties - I'm sure he'll start to bomb on as the season progresses and become the right wing FORCE we know he is
Greer 7 - Solid
Dunk 6 - Played excellently and would be 8 and my MoM.. BUT the tackle on Sharp was nasty and should have seen him sent off. Ten men down the way we were playing, I think we would've lost today.
Painter 6 - Solid again, limited going forward but solid defensively
Sparrow 5 - Looked very slow, lost possession several times - struggled to link up with Dicker with the two treading on each others feet
Dicker 5 - as above, but did manage a decent shot on goal. If anything was slightly slower than Spaz - think he lost possession for the goal too?
Lua Lua 5 - Marked out of the game, drew two bad tackles from Spurr which should have seen him sent off, but otherwise did nothing but lose possession.
Bridcutt 7 - Struggled in the first half often behind play and running after onrushing forwards - should have been booked in the first half. Ran the show in the second and looked a different player, very promising
Barnes 5 - Looked as average as the day is long today, slightly off pace and squandered his chances, blazing one effort high and wide when he should've hit the target and dallying in front of goal when he should have scored. I think he is destined to be cover for Hoskins when he is available
CMS 6 - Can't fault his work rate! Wasn't really his day today, lost the ball quite often when trying to hold it up and headed wide when should've scored with the last touch of the first half. He will get 7-8 goals for sheer persistence alone this year, if KLL/Noone/Buckley can provide service he can easily reach 20+ I think

Subs:
Noone 8 - Looked very up for it, lost confidence a little after his miss (oh dear!) but got over it quickly and his assist for the winner was pure magic!
Buckley 10 - What more could he have done? Almost single-handedly turned the game on its head and didn't put a foot wrong - also almost assisted CMS. Is a cert to start the next match!

Ref: 3 - Had a terrible game

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Buckley - can a sub be given 9 or 10, for what he did? Not just the goals, but his game caused mayhem.

Dunk can go a long way in football. Seem a class act, for so young.

Do not play Sparrow & Dicker together centre-midfield. Too similar & pedestrian.

Last edited:

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Sparrow 5 - Looked very slow, lost possession several times - struggled to link up with Dicker with the two treading on each others feet
Dicker 5 - as above, but did manage a decent shot on goal. If anything was slightly slower than Spaz - think he lost possession for the goal too?
Lua Lua 5 - Marked out of the game, drew two bad tackles from Spurr which should have seen him sent off, but otherwise did nothing but lose possession.

JCDenton, that's exactly how I read it from the East Stand - 5's for all of them

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Ankergren - 7 - wasnt tested at all really and what did have, done it with ease
Calderon - 7 - didnt do as much as sometimes does, but tidy all round performance
Painter - 7 - much more like the Painter we know not like the Tottenham game
Greer 7 - solid didnt seem to have many problems with sharp and co
Dunk 9 - Thought he was clear man of the match, just never looked in trouble, from the east stand it didnt look like a bad challenge, and he isnt a dirty player. Quality watch out el abd
Lua Lua - 5 - Disappointing just never seemed to get into the game
Sparrow 6 - Okay - jury is still out with me on sparrow on his day can be amazing but i think a underachiever for us so far
Dicker 5 - Thought he got totally killed in the first half but did have a better 2nd half, the only reason i gave a 5 is the times he gave ball away in very dangerous areas one of which led to the goal
Bridcutt 7 - very poor 1st half and very good 2nd half
Mackell smith 8 - worked his socks off, just wish some of the clear cut chances we had eg 3 and 2 was one on one with keeper would have fell to mackell smith.
Barnes - 6 - worked hard again, held ball up well but a bad finish with keeper

Subs
Noone 8 - Brillant this is the reason we need to play 2 wingers all the time when we changed to 4-4-2 and two wingers we totally controlled the game
Buckley 10 - Perfect performance every time he got the ball caused no end of problems and two excellent goals.

Fans 10 - Brillant atmosphere and the flags looked amazing
Stadium 9 - Queues at station and club house maybe a bit ott but overall very good for our 1st game at new stadium.

Great day out and a great result, but i hope billy sharp will recover soon as a good player, didnt do much really today bar the goal so wouldnt have changed the game much as 2nd half we had a different attitude and closed them down a lot faster and decided to take the game to them.
Great stuff bring on Gillingham on tuesday and then portsmouth on saturday, cant wait.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We didn't play anywhere near our best in the 1st half but Noone and Buckley completely changed the game and we seemed to keep the ball much better. I hope this game serves as a wake up call to the players and some of our fans to show how tricky the championship is..

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
KLL wasn't that bad - just a bit anonymous. Sparrow and Dicker were likewise in the first half, although Dicker came into the game more as it went on

KLL was the subject of some very heavy tackles in the first half. Coming off a badly broken leg you understand his lack of enthusiasm. Better reffing would have helped and as for his booking, well that was a joke.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Don't think CMS was bought for his prowess in the air, was he?

So who do we have to provide that? Hoskins when he is fit? To be honest I thought we really missed Murray's aerial threat today. Almost every Casper played a long ball it came straight back.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ankergren 7 - great distribution, looked sold
Calderon 7 - looked back to his best, will be a major force this season
Greer 9 - immense, looks fit and ready to take Champ by storm
Dunk 8 - what a prospect
Paints 6 - good defensively, not quite as hot going forward
Sparrow 6 - not as good as Spurs last week
Bridcutt 8 - ran the midfield 2nd half
Dicker 6 - not quite his usual inflential self
Lua Lua 5 - snuffed out time and time again
Barnes 6 - held the ball up well
Mackail Smith 7 - worked his socks off and looked strong, well marked though.

Subs Noone 8 - caused constant problems.
Buckley 10 - changed the game, 2 stunning finishes.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
...as for his booking, well that was a joke.

Yep, shocking decision from Donny's 12th man - the ref and both linesmen were poor. Kaz suffered the most from the ref's inability to work out a**e from elbow, with the pen and the blatant fouling he suffered from - both on the left and when he switched to the right

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
KLL was the subject of some very heavy tackles in the first half. Coming off a badly broken leg you understand his lack of enthusiasm. Better reffing would have helped and as for his booking, well that was a joke.

Gotta disagree with this - yes the ref was poor but KLL was looking for those tackles ... he was holding back going for the ball and certainly when the villain got the yellow Kaz could had the ball and been gone way before matey arrived .. he did the same thing a couple of minutes earlier. As for getting the yellow I'll stand alone if I have to but the second he started to go over I called it, so obvious was it. He has a very poor game and thankfully Noon injected some life into things

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here