Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sullivan - 8 - Few dodgy kicks although the Elphick and Hawkins congratulated him on a few so he was obviously getting the majority in the areas he was instructed to, other than the first few kicking was very solid. Made one very good save in the first half, too far away to have any opinion on the'penalty'. Very sound debut, pleased that he's finally got his chance.

Whing - 5 - Thought he had a shocker, very poor form so far this year.

Elphick - 8 - Dealt well with tricky combo of Fryatt and Howard

Hawkins - 7 - Same as above, very good in the air and impressed with calm distribution. Thought he could have done better with the first (i think?!) leicester goal

Richards - 5 - Same as Whing

Anyinsah - 7 - Very hard work, looked a lot better when closer alongside Virgo got his reward with role in last goal.

Thomson - 7 - Steady performance, clearly not an attacking midfielder so benefits by playing natural defensive role alongside new guy/thornton.

Savage - 5 - Another poor performance similar to saturday, let him go back and move on I think.

Johnson - 9 - Very good performance, improved in second half playing some nice forward moving stuff across midfield involving Thornton and Cox. Quality strike for second goal.

McLeod - 5 - looks unfit

Virgo - 6 - Worked very hard, did the job expected of him.

Thornton - 9 - Tactical genius to bring him on at half time or a shocking error not playing him from the start? The latter for me given the impact he's had on previous games.

Cox - 7 - Confidence grew as second half went on, hope it continues to improve and he gets back to level of performances we've seen previously.

Last edited:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Interesting that so many of you seem to think Sullivan should have conceded a penalty with that challenge. Were those of you that think that sat in the South stand? Cos from where I was sat in the North it was never a pen and the ref's decision was spot on.

Clear cut penalty from where I was in H block, Sully got lucky!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Did you miss all of the fantastic interplay in midfield during the second half that stemmed from Thornton/Johnson to get fast joe/virgo and cox more involved in the game?

With Thornton and johnson in the middle of midfield we looked so much better...............send Thomson back to falkirk.......and Savage back to Derby............neither are required........or any use.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
With Thornton and johnson in the middle of midfield we looked so much better...............send Thomson back to falkik.......and Savage back to Derby.

Agree with the Savage point. A midfield with Thommo and Savage is too defensive with neither being a naturally attacking player ending up with the ball being kept nicely but not moving forward through the middle. Thornton on the left/right and Thommo and Johnson in the middle with cox/fast joe (depending on injuries) on the other flank would be a seriously good league 1 midfield.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Sullivan 7 - Good debut. Has a great kick on him, and made some decent saves.

Whing 5 - 1st half was shocking, second half was much better.
Elphick 7 - Cleared our lines lots tonight. Best of the back four!
Hawkins 7 - Solid enough
Richards 5 - Same as Whing

Anyinsah 6 - Made our third goal, but was quiet for most of the match
Thomson 6 - I thought he played ok tonight, he kept the ball moving and passed well.
Savage 5 - Poor, by his high standards!
Johnson 8 - Second goal was superb, and its nice to see an attacking midfielder in centre mid!
McLeod 4 - Maybe unfit? Maybe not? But he was poor tonight.

Virgo 6 - Held the ball up better as the game went on. Worked hard for the team.

Subs:
Thornton 8 - Changed the game tonight. Looks so comfortable on the ball, and was instrumental in setting up our first goal.
Cox 7 - Played his skin out when he came on. Got stuck in, and posed an attacking threat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting that so many of you seem to think Sullivan should have conceded a penalty with that challenge. Were those of you that think that sat in the South stand? Cos from where I was sat in the North it was never a pen and the ref's decision was spot on.

I am also sat in the North Stand and I agree with you.

Cannot agree with some of the remarks about the players tonight.

Thought that Thomson had his best and most influential game for us.
Johnson looked like the player we have all been screaming for, a ball playing attack minded midfielder, 'why does MA keep signing midfielders'.

Virgo although not a striker did a lot of work and won a lot of balls and never let their defenders settle.

The obvious changing point was the substitutions at half time.

Thought we had a reasonable 1st half and the score line was not justified as we were let down by 2 bad defensive mistakes neither by Sullivan.

The 2nd half was the best we have played for a long time and we grew from strength to strength , just hope that this is the game that turns our season around.

The ref should shove his whistle as far up his arse as he can get it. Look at me I am the ref, the star that everybody has paid to come and watch.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No idea why Thornton isn't the first name on the sheet (but I haven't seen an away game yet, so may be missing something).

Delighted for Sullivan.

Elphick continues to impress.

Savage is a waste of space.

Slightly worried about our reliance on short term loanees for key performances though.

vitusvivi

May 30, 2008
Sullivan - 8 - Couldn't do anything about the goals, dodgy defending. Some good saves
Whing - 6 - Put some nice challenges in in the second half. His distribution was poor.
Elphick - 8 - would give him higher but that awful slip up for the second goal puts him down.
Hawkins - 5 - Too slow.
Richards - 5 - How many times can the rightback get past you?

Savage - 3 - Rubbish, feee kicks crap corners shocking. Get's too lairy with the ref.
Johnson - 8 - Quality goals.
Mcleod - 6 - Some nice work on the left but couldn't really seem to do much.
Anyinsah - 7 - Not good in the first half but was a constant threat in the second.
Thompson - 6 - Didn't notice him much.

Virgo - 5 - did nothing.

Thornton - 9 - Brilliant performance.
Cox - 7 - Helped in the fight back.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Sullivan - 8 - Couldn't do anything about the goals, dodgy defending. Some good saves
Whing - 6 - Put some nice challenges in in the second half. His distribution was poor.
Hawkins - 5 - Too slow.
Richards - 5 - How many times can the rightback get past you?

Savage - 3 - Rubbish, feee kicks crap corners shocking. Get's too lairy with the ref.
Johnson - 8 - Quality goals.
Mcleod - 6 - Some nice work on the left but couldn't really seem to do much.
Anyinsah - 7 - Not good in the first half but was a constant threat in the second.
Thompson - 6 - Didn't notice him much.

Virgo - 5 - did nothing.

Thornton - 9 - Brilliant performance.
Cox - 7 - Helped in the fight back.

I think Hawkins played better than a 5 tonight

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
what, when he was off the pitch changing his shirt and no one dropped back into defence to cover for him?

I was disappointed that Adams didn't spot this and make sure that Virgo went back as cover. As it was they very cleverly attacked the place where Elphick should have been.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Elphick - 8 - would give him higher but that awful slip up for the second goal puts him down.

Elphick wasnt even on the pitch for the second goal! he was on the touchline having had to change his shirt after a collision in the leicester goal mouth. your not the first person to say that either! although im not the first person to point it out lol.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Sullivan - 7
Whing - 5
Elphick - 7
Hawkins - 6
Richards - 7
Anyinsah - 8
Thomson - 6
Savage - 4
Johnson - 8
McLeod - 5
Virgo - 6

Thornton - 9
Cox - 6

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Sullivan - 7
Whing - 5
Elphick - 8
Hawkins - 7
Richards - 5
Anyinsah - 6
Thomson - 7
Savage - 4
Johnson - 8
McLeod - 5
Virgo - 6

Subs

Thornton - 9
Cox - 6

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Sullivan 7 - looks a decent back up keeper (can't see why managers were scared to play him - decent kick as well )
Whing - 5 (was found out on a few occassions -lack of pace)
Elphick 7
Hawkins 7
Richards 4 skinned by gradel too many times (admittedly gradel looks like he should be playing at a higher level)
mcCleod 5 - unfit
thompson 6 - offered a bit more today
savage 5 the best player in the team for passing the ball 3 yds backwards (we can do better with £4.200 per week)
Bradley bloke from leeds johnson - 7 a great run in 1st half 2nd goal was a cracker and linked well with thornton.
Anyinsah 6.5 did OK has not shown enough to be signed permenantly though.
Virgo 5.5 not a CF! out of position
Cox 6.5 a good return better option than mccleod at present ?
Thornton 9 - seen him 3 times and he is the player we need - sign him up - creative - tricky - effectively won the game !
MA -5 hope this is the turning point - side appeared unbalanced in first half (strikers available but not played/could have tried a different formation ?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here