Player Ratings

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
Kuipers...6 Thought he was exposed by poor defending
Whing.....5 Average
Richards..5 Not bad with the ball but exposed defensively at times
Elphick....5 Not as solid generally as last season for me when he at times he looked like the new Steve Foster in terms of his dominance
Hawkins..5 Don't mind him but would rather see Virgo in his place
Thornton..7 Touches of class. Like the look of him. Great cross for 2nd goal
Savage...6 Generally solid but gave ball away in dangerous positions and looked a bit off the pace at times but sure he will improve us
Livermore..6 Steady
Virgo.........6 OK, Just out of position. Why play him at right midfield? Made no sense to me.
Forster...6 Ran his socks off as usual
Murray...9 Can't argue with three well taken goals.

Adams...4 We lost the game because of the tactics in final 10 mins. 5 men back at a home corner, sitting back far to deep and allowing them the ball when they had just been reduced to 10 men. Really frustrating to watch.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Kuipers 6
Whging 5.5
Elphick 5
Hawkins 7 actually won a lot of the head tennis battles
Richards 6
Savage 6.5 - did well and played it simple - didn't look for the more adventurous ball though ! and lost the ball a few times in dangerous positions.
Livermore 6
Virgo 3 - Adams should have subbed him for anyinsah or moved him into defense - blatently obvious and cost us the game !
Forster 5.5 - off the pace today
Murray 8.5 - class and worked hard today.

vitusvivi

May 30, 2008
Kuipers 7- Played well, some nice saves: couldn't stop the goals.
Richards 3- How many times is he gonig to let the winger cut across him?
Hawkins 6- won some nice balls in the air.
Elphick 5- Has virtually no skill on the ball; can only toe punt it long.
Whing 4- has too heavy a touch
Thornton 9- Played Quality.
Livermore 7- good game, some nice passing.
Savage 8- played it simple, nice crosses, a good corner.
Virgo 3- Why is he playing on the right? Absolutely stupid.
Forster 6- Not at his best.
Murray 10- outstanding, easily the best player on the pitch.

El abd: 3- why bring him on?
Fraser 0- was he there?

Micky Adams: 4: need i explain?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kuipers - 6 Couldn't doing anything about the goals

Whing - 5 Too much hoofery and collective shit defending
Elphick - 6 Average
Hawkins - 4 Slow, not THAT great in the air despite his size, Fleetwood had him on toast every time he ran at him,
Richards - 5 Average

Virgo - 0 Lost. There were 4 better right midfielders on the bench, and at least one in the stand too.
Savage - 7 Smart on the ball and always available
Livermore - 6 Did ok, wish Adams would get the idea that he can play wide out of his head.
Thornton - 8 Very impressive, skillful, clever, good crossing and set pieces. Came looking for the ball but even so did not get it enough.

Murray - 9 Usual good performance plus three goals. At times the link up we saw last season with Forster was evident again, give these two the right service and there aren't many better.
Forster - 7 Grew into the game, obviously not at his sharpest but good to have him back.

El-Abd - 4 Presumably was meant to protect the defence - that didn't work out did it?
Fraser - Timewasting sub - also didn't quite work out. :rolleyes:

Where was Anyinsah? He must be pissed off, comes here for regular football, plays well, gets dropped so Virgo can play right wing. Work that one out. We played well for about 10-20 minutes in each half, the rest of the time resorting to the usual hoofery. In a way that is an improvement but as in the Scunthorpe game those periods were undermined by shit defending.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Michel 6 -average
Whing 6 - average
Elphick 5 - ok, but not suited to playing with Hawkins
Hawkins 6 - ok, but not suited to playing with Elphick
Richards 6 - not bad
Virgo 2 - not his fault at all, but him in that position is just embarrassing
Savage 7 - excellent stuff, kept it simple which is just what we need, always involved
Livermore 7 - similar to Savage, will make a great pairing if the right attacking players are alongside them
Thornton 9 - the player we've been missing for about 10 years
Murray 9 - a 90 minute display of why he's so good
Forster 6 - not at his best really

Subs
El Abd 3 - not needed
Fraser 0 - only contribution was to argue with the Cheltenham bench,

Agree with all this but would add:
Adams: 0 - Poor tactics and subs cost us the game when we had a squad available that could have walked it.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Michel 6 -average
Whing 6 - average
Elphick 5 - ok, but not suited to playing with Hawkins
Hawkins 6 - ok, but not suited to playing with Elphick
Richards 6 - not bad
Virgo 2 - not his fault at all, but him in that position is just embarrassing
Savage 7 - excellent stuff, kept it simple which is just what we need, always involved
Livermore 7 - similar to Savage, will make a great pairing if the right attacking players are alongside them
Thornton 9 - the player we've been missing for about 10 years
Murray 9 - a 90 minute display of why he's so good
Forster 6 - not at his best really

Subs
El Abd 3 - not needed
Fraser 0 - only contribution was to argue with the Cheltenham bench, tosser
So
average of players bought in by MA = 6.2
average of players already here = 5.2

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To cover both identical threads :

Kuipers 6 - not as assured as usual today.
Whing 5 - looked vulnerable at times.
Elphick 5 - not at his best
Hawkins 5 - is he really fully fit ?
Richards 6 - the best out of a fairly poor defence today.
Virgo 3 - clearly out of position.
Livermore 7 - did all the right things.
Savage 7 - I don't like or partcularly believe the hype, but good distribution and leadership qualities.
Thornton 9.5 - CLASS CLASS CLASS !!!, please please stay as long as you like. An absolute joy to watch.
Forster 6 - worked hard as usual.
Murray 9.5 - proof that he's a 20 goals a season striker.

Subs: Just plain wrong ! MA 3 - what was he thinking ?!

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
Kuipers 6 - average, not much to fault on goals
Richards 5- average
Elphick 5 - won a lot of 50.50, is playing with a swagger that concerns me, has to be blamed for marshalling the defence so deep to compensate for lack of pace
Hawkins 4 - Won next to nothing, for a stopper shows no ability in the air except free headers, again to blame to marshalling the defense so god damn deep
Whing 6 - did ok, he hides from the ball though, doesn't want it at his feet
Livermore 7 - solid game
Savage 8- spot the difference, his first touch is most of our other midfielders 3 or 4th
Virgo 4 - Not his fault, Virgs is a centre forward or centre back, how hard is that to spot??? Drop hawkins and get virgs in there
Forster 5 - average, why complaing to the linesman when you are yards offside, again and again and again
Murray 9 - best game in an albion shirt

Sort out the defence, you can't defend that deep for over 30 minutes

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Kuipers 6 - average, not much to fault on goals
Richards 5- average
Elphick 5 - won a lot of 50.50, is playing with a swagger that concerns me, has to be blamed for marshalling the defence so deep to compensate for lack of pace
Hawkins 4 - Won next to nothing, for a stopper shows no ability in the air except free headers, again to blame to marshalling the defense so god damn deep
Whing 6 - did ok, he hides from the ball though, doesn't want it at his feet
Livermore 7 - solid game
Savage 8- spot the difference, his first touch is most of our other midfielders 3 or 4th
Virgo 4 - Not his fault, Virgs is a centre forward or centre back, how hard is that to spot??? Drop hawkins and get virgs in there
Forster 5 - average, why complaing to the linesman when you are yards offside, again and again and again
Murray 9 - best game in an albion shirt

Sort out the defence, you can't defend that deep for over 30 minutes

I'm assuming you missed Thornton out because you're still searching for a number above 10 to give him ? :)

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
How can you call one of our players a tosser at all! Let alone when he hasn't done anything wrong! He didn't even play badly, was only on for a couple of minutes and has done quite well in recent weeks. You two are the only f***ing tossers.

Is the right answer

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Michel 6 - was he partly to blame for the first one?
Whing 4 - worst game this season. Gave the ball away, was targetted by the oppo as a weak link, skinned by their 31 (and 18 year old) on more than one occasion. Big fan, but bad game.
Elphick 5 - centre backs are a bit like the front row in rugby - it's quite hard for the layman to really tell what's going on. Part of the culpable defence though today.
Hawkins 5 - See Elphick.
Richards 5 - not at all his best game
Virgo 5 - wasted out wide
Savage 6 - hard to be clear about what he did through all the hype. Gee'd up thec rowd, neat, keen, missed a few tackles and made a few passes. Better than Thomson? Not sure.
Livermore 6 - steady.
Thornton 9 - superb. At last a punchy, talented winger.
Murray 9 - the man is a star - have always said so. Third goal was text book.
Forster 7 - dragged men about making space for Glenn - quiet but effective

El-Abd 4 - looked off the pace and sat back with the rest as soon as he came on.

Great missed opportunity today (yet another).

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Kuipers 6 - Average, I enjoyed him rushing out of his box to deliver a HEADER!

Richards 5 - Got skinned to many times down our left side. Not at his best.
Hawkins 5 - Should've won more in the air than he did. Didn't look comfortable when ran at by opposition attack.
Elphick 6 - Better than Hawkins, at least he made tackles and stubbed out potential attacks.
Whing 5 - Played some really nice attacking passes in the first half. But where was he in the 94th minute?

Thornton 8 - Really composed, really skillful, can pick out a great pass.
Livermore 6 - Solid and steady not spectacular.
Savage 7 - Needs match practice, lost the ball in dangerous positions. Did a lot of running though and is great on set-pieces.
Virgo 4 - Feel sorry for him. MA played him out of position yet again! Virgo as a winger is a joke :nono:

Forster 6 - He ran the line well, and worked hard. Maybe a little bit rusty after injury.
Murray 10 - Not one foot wrong, and he worked really hard as well. Has to be a perfect TEN :bowdown:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having watched The Championship I will revise my view of Kuipers in that he was not to balme for the 2nd goal as we had numerous chnaces to clear the ball. I do still feel that he could have done better with the otrher 2 especially the 3rd goal which he just chased the player around without dropping on the ball.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Kuipers - 10
Richards - 6
Elphick - 6
Colin - 10
Whing - 6
Virgo - 9
Livermore - 8
Savage - 8
Thornton - 1
Murray - 3
Forster - 12

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Having watched The Championship I will revise my view of Kuipers in that he was not to balme for the 2nd goal as we had numerous chnaces to clear the ball. I do still feel that he could have done better with the otrher 2 especially the 3rd goal which he just chased the player around without dropping on the ball.

No worries BG. We know if the FDM had made 10 world class saves and scored a hat-trick, you'd still write;

POOR DISTRIBUTION.- 6 :glare:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Agree with all this but would add:
Adams: 0 - Poor tactics and subs cost us the game when we had a squad available that could have walked it.

So Anyinsah being quite ill, and perhaps not feeling upto it, who else would you suggest when you say 'we had a squad avaliable that could have walked it' Cox? yes because he's a fantasticly influential player on the game.

I'm interested to understand what people mean by Adam's tactics, what EXACTLY did he get wrong? If you would be so kind to outline these for me.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

I can't imagine how, for one second, you could have thought him to blame for the 2nd goal. It was a quality strike.

I also don't see how he was in any way to blame for the third - poor defending was.

However, I thought he was very culpable for the first.

BG, I agree with you on many things that you say but, on the subject of FDM, I rarely do. Sometimes you can bring yourself to praise him but it is always very faint praise and, whether you intend it or not, you seem very eager to criticise at any opportunity. It seems to me that he would have to perform to Premier League standard for you to bring yourself to accept him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here