CM Bridcutt -7
CM Hammond - 7
CM Lopez - 5
LM Orlandi - 6
RM Buckley - 7
Str Ulloa - 5

Barnes - 7
Lua Lua - 5

Barring Bridcutt, Hammond & Bridge everyone under performed. Ulloa was poor but needs bodies around him, we left him completely isolated and he doesn't have the pace to get in behind.

Because of the lack of threat up front, Palace could push up on us and stifle our possession game far too easily. As well as Hammond has played recently and again tonight we really should have sacrificed a holding midfield player, so we could go for the jugular and test a back four which has been all at sea recently.

Ulloa and Lopez looked well off the pace and I cannot help thinking we should have used the Wolves game to rest some of the players who have played consistently since January. Playing 3 games in 9 days at this stage of the season is a big ask especially for players not accustomed to the pace of English football. By playing pretty much a full strength side we sacrificed the major advantage we had by qualifying a game ahead of everyone else.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
GK Kuszcak - 6
RB Calderon - 6
LB Bridge - 7
CB Upson - 6
CB Greer - 6
CM Bridcutt -7
CM Hammond - 7
CM Lopez - 5
LM Orlandi - 6
RM Buckley - 7
Str Ulloa - 5

Barnes - 7
Lua Lua - 5

Barring Bridcutt, Hammond & Bridge everyone under performed. Ulloa was poor but needs bodies around him, we left him completely isolated and he doesn't have the pace to get in behind.

Because of the lack of threat up front, Palace could push up on us and stifle our possession game far too easily. As well as Hammond has played recently and again tonight we really should have sacrificed a holding midfield player, so we could go for the jugular and test a back four which has been all at sea recently.

Ulloa and Lopez looked well off the pace and I cannot help thinking we should have used the Wolves game to rest some of the players who have played consistently since January. Playing 3 games in 9 days at this stage of the season is a big ask especially for players not accustomed to the pace of English football. By playing pretty much a full strength side we sacrificed the major advantage we had by qualifying a game ahead of everyone else.

Ulloa isolated, players tired, no pace in the side makes us predictable and one dimensional. We have to look at the manager in all that you have said. But I cannot buy tired players, what about Palace,have they played less games than us recently, no they played more as they had the rescheduled Millwall game. Its about mental and physical strength and we didn't have tonite.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Player Ratings In Future

Specifically for ACKER

Acker

You do the statistics ( and do them very well ) and at one point in the past in a post you described how/what the ratings should be. I am getting back to the, for example, excellent performance should it be a 7 or an 8 or even a 9 and if a GK had absolutely nothing to do should that be a 2 or a 5 or a 10.

Hope you know where I'm coming from just think that, for next season, it would be good if most posts were on the same basis.

Cheers !

PS, I didn't honestly think that there many above a 5 tonight.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
(Formation 6-2-1-1)

Kuszczak 6

Calderon 5
Upson 6
Greer 5
Bridge 6
Hammond 6
Bridders 6

Orlandi 5
Lopez 4

Buckley 4

Ulloa 4

Subs:
LuaLua 5
Barnes 5

Manager:
Poyet 3 When the going gets tough the Uruguayan gets negative

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
(Formation 6-2-1-1)

Kuszczak 6

Calderon 5
Upson 6
Greer 5
Bridge 6
Hammond 6
Bridders 6

Orlandi 5
Lopez 4

Buckley 4

Ulloa 4

Subs:
LuaLua 5
Barnes 5

Manager:

About right!

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Kuszczak 6

Calderon 4
Upson 5
Greer 5
Bridge 6

Hammond 6
Bridders 5

Orlandi 3
Lopez 3

Buckley 4

Ulloa 4

Subs:
LuaLua 5
Barnes 5 - Not his fault and worked hard tonight, but why bring him on before Lua Lua? If your a defender who would you prefer to play against? Who's more likely to get a goal? The answer to both those questions isn't Ashley Barnes.

Manager:
Poyet 1 - Totally wrong tonight. We beat Palace 3 - 0 at home playing two wingers last time out. Why change it tonight? It's a one off game against a team that finished 5th in the league. They are good enough not to just let us knock it around and dictate the game. We needed to get at them.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
(Formation 6-2-1-1)

Kuszczak 6

Calderon 5
Upson 6
Greer 5
Bridge 6
Hammond 6
Bridders 6

Orlandi 5
Lopez 4

Buckley 4

Ulloa 4

Subs:
LuaLua 5
Barnes 5

Manager:
Nail on head.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Calde - 5 unlucky booking, but lets be honest Zaha had the better of him all night
Bridge - 6
Buckley - 8 1st half, 3 2nd half.
Dave - 4 what exactly did he do?
Hammond - 6
Bridcutt - 6
Ulloa - 5 isolated and marked out of the game, not his fault

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think 5 for everyone will suffice.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Kuszczak 6 - Couldn't do much about the goals

Calderon 4 - Love him but Zaha had him for dinner
Upson 6 - Classy defender but not a good night for the defence
Greer 5 - As above but seemed a bit more panicked that usual
Bridge 6 - Not bad considering he was utterly broken from the 40th minute

Hammond 6 - Thought he did ok
Bridders 6 - Not his best game but did ok
Orlandi 5 - Knackered
Lopez 4 -Also knackered but also loses a point for the dreadful standard of his usually excellent freekicks
Buckley 5 - Ok but easily snuffed out

Ulloa 4 - Also knackered. Hardly won anything and has completely run out of steam

Subs:
LuaLua 6 - Excited in glimpses but kept in check mostly
Barnes 7 - Only player who looked like scoring and was really trying to gee up the team after the 1st goal

Manager:
Poyet 3 - Ultimately, he picked the wrong team in my opinion. I understand why he kept it the same but for me, Barnes should have started (in place of Buckley to provide more cover for Calderon or Ulloa to have fresh legs up front), Lua Lua should have started too because Orlandi was clearly exhausted, and although I think Hammond was one of our better performers maybe Crofts, being a very fit player with a good engine would have lasted better. For me, we looked utterly dead on our feet and Poyet should have seen that and changed the team accordingly.

Awful, awful night overall. I don't think the better team won, the fitter team did. However, I think ultimately Holloway proved himself to be a better tactician for the play-offs and made the tweaks to formation that allowed Palace to get a foothold and overcome us. Hopefully, Poyet will learn from this.

I for one will be doing my best to forget it and will say, well done Palace and COME ON WATFORD!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought this was a weird one. Palace started stronger, then we seemed to get back into it, a couple of long range shots, but no real threat, and eventually the first half evened out. Passes were going astray, no one was making themselves available. There was one period where it looked like the entire team was determined for Greer to pass to Buckley directly, with every pass being about creating that option (greer to calderon to draw a player, then back to greer, but no space for the pass to buckley, so pass to bridcutt who could have possibly got it to buckley, but instead passed it to upson to greer, who looks only for the pass to buckley). There was no sense of "lets try something else" or "maybe someone else can pass it to buckley", no sense of anyone else trying to take responsibility. Again, until Barnes came on, Dean Hammond, a supposed defensive midfield, was our biggest attacking threat.

I expected us to come out and be sharper, after Gus had addressed the issues, but the second half went the same as the first with palace starting stronger, we eventually had a period of control, then it went even, then we started dropping far too deep, inviting palace on, and then they just had too much.

Kuszczack 7 - I'm not sure how much chance he had with the goals, but don't think he did enough else wrong to be marked lower.
Calderon 5.5 - First half he seemed to have no trouble with Zaha at all. Second half seemed to lose it (not control just ability)
Greer 5.5 - some good defensive moments first half, second half not good enough
Upson 5.5 - as greer
Bridge 5 - maybe the early injury played on his mind. Maybe putting painter on would have been good (no goals conceded with painter on the pitch this season!)
Bridcutt 6
Hammond 7 - Seemed to be tryingt et a goal, at least.
Lopez 5.5 - set piece delivery was a disappointment.
Orlandi 5.5 -
Buckley 5.5 - seemed to lack the confidence to use his pace on the outside, unless there was no chance of keeping the ball in play
Ulloa 5 - seemed to never be where the ball was likely to fall, never made an effort to get into a space and provide an option, then when barnes came on he started to link well with him

Subs:
Barnes 6 - our two best chances fell to him, he did as much right as he could without scoring.
Lua Lua 4.5 - He is so frustratingly schizophrenic. He can have a great game, like v wolves, then turn up to palace games where he does nothing but squander his promise. He isn't helped by occasions where he actually looks for someone, and no one is there to support him on the wing.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Calderon got mauled by Zaha all night and was at fault for the goal. Not going to make him a scapegoat though, he was out of position and was just up against a superior player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Specifically for ACKER

Acker

You do the statistics ( and do them very well ) and at one point in the past in a post you described how/what the ratings should be. I am getting back to the, for example, excellent performance should it be a 7 or an 8 or even a 9 and if a GK had absolutely nothing to do should that be a 2 or a 5 or a 10.

Hope you know where I'm coming from just think that, for next season, it would be good if most posts were on the same basis.

Cheers !

PS, I didn't honestly think that there many above a 5 tonight.

I think I tried it once, before I actually kept a record of ratings. It didn't make much difference because people are set in their own ways with regard to how they apply their ratings, but usually averaging everyone out, especially when a lot of people respond, you tend to get a fair or representative appraisal.

The goalkeeper rating seems to be up for debate. Someone (I forget who) will occasionally post explaining that he feels goal keepers should start on a ten, and only lose marks for mistakes. For me, that's unfair as it could make him the highest rated player when he didn't really contribute to the match (such as a 0-0 draw where our opponents make three shots from long distance that do nothing to test the keeper and he doesn't concede). Personally, I think if there is not much for a keeper to do, he should be judged with the rest of the players, a rough estimate of the team average, +/- a point or so depending on how well he did the small things (did his kicks go out, did he fumble initial shots and have to fall on the loose ball, etc).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Home

Average Player Ratings

Kuszczak 5.88
Hammond 5.83
Bridcutt 5.64
Bridge 5.61
Upson 5.44
Greer 5.09
Buckley 4.94
Calderon 4.92 (75mins)
Orlandi 4.50 (67mins)
Ulloa 4.22
David Lopez 4.19

Subs

Barnes 5.74 (31min)
Lualua 4.79 (23min)

Squad Average: 5.14

Well having endured Monday night live from my normal position in the WSU, let the dust settle, watch it again on the telly, it was actually worse than I remembered at the time and with the events of the last 18 hours it's probably no coincidence that what was possibly our worst, or at the least one of the worst home performances should happen in such circumstances.

So the ratings

Kuszczak 6
Calderon 5
Greer 5
Upson 6
Bridge 6
Bridcutt 5
Hammond 6
Lopez 3
Orlandi 3
Buckley 6
Ulloa 4

Subs:
Barnes 6
Lua Lua 4

At the time I put a lot of credit to Palace and Olly for their efforts but looking back at it again we were woeful for the most part, PARTICULARLY after they scored and even the commentators couldn't believe our lack of fight.

Orlandi was missing in action completely and should have been subbed at half time. Spanish Dave did do next to nothing and Bridcutt was way below his usual self. Bridge went to sleep for the first goal and Greer was too easily turned for the second.

Hammond should have been sent off for his shirt pull but was our 'best' midfield player along with Buckley who was the only creative hint of a spark we had. Having said that the passing, particularly in the second half was awful and looking back at it again was painful to watch.

Yes Olly was up for the fight barking from the sidelines and yes Poyet was doing next to nothing but Palace will never (hopefully) have an easier opportunity of turning us over.

If and it's a big if, Poyet influenced the team to produce such woeful football due to his personal issues then he should never be forgiven when we had not only such a great opportunity to stuff our biggest rivals but also to reach the most lucrative game of football in the World. I'm sure there's 2 sides to what's happening but Poyet's petulant antics post match seem to reflect the apathetic display on the pitch

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Kuzcz - 6
Calderon - 6
Bridge - 6
Upson - 6
Greer - 6
Lopez - 4
Bridcutt - 5
Hammond - 4
Orlandi - 4
Buckley - 6
Ulloa - 5

Barnes - 6
KLL - 4

Apologies Acker, have been away and wasn't going to bother as the averages went up, but now somebody else has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here