Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Palace

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As it seems no one has done them, here's my take on (apart from the first 25 minutes or so) a very poor performance. How many shots on goal? Maybe two!!! What will happen when weplay a really good team?

Ankergren 5. Six goals conceded in two games. Something's wrong.

Tarrico 5. OK, but caught for pace a couple of times. Why didn't Gus play Vincelot from the start?

Greer 5. The whole defence looked suspect. Greer almost scored an og.

Dunk 6. Maybe the best of a poor bunch today.

Painter 5. OK, but some stupid passes like the one to Bridcutt which got him booked.

Noone 7. Amazing first 25 mins. Then what happened? Never seemed to see the ball.

Bridcutt 7. MOM, but not much chance to shine with the dross around him.

Harley 3. And we bought him because??

Dicker 4. Too slow today.

Barnes 3. Did sod all today. Frequently unmarked and screaming for the ball on the right, but never seemed to get it. When he did get the ball centrally he did very little that was effective.

CMS 4. Goal OK, otherwise poor. MOM? The sponsors must have been having a joke! How we miss Murray.

Subs:
Lua Lua 5. One or two good crosses plus a couple of defensive lapses.
Vincelot 7. Did OK when he came on.
Vicente 5. First time I've seen him and based on those 15 mins I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Gus 3. Screwed up today.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I pretty much agree with that.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Ankergren 5.

Tarrico 5.
Greer 5.

Dunk 6.
Painter 5.

Noone 7..

Bridcutt 7.
Harley 6.

Dicker 3

Barnes 3.

CMS 5

Subs:
Lua Lua 6
Vincelot 5.
Vicente 5.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Would agree on the whole with the above. Shite midfield, pretty average everywhere else.

Bit harsh on Vicente, though - even for fifteen minutes surrounded by a load of dross, you can see he's quality.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And when we resort to the long ball out by Ankergren (because the opposition have got us sussed) it inevitably comes straight back because we have no striker who is good enough in the air .... basically a Glenn Murray type player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
OK, let's try to make the ratings reflective of their performances, not reflective of the result and the opponents.

Ankergren 4 - Below par performance. Bad distribution, didn't do enough for the first goal
Taricco 6 - Seemed calm and composed, we seemed to do most out work down the left so not involved much going forward.
Greer 5.5
Dunk 5.5
Painter 5
Bridcutt 6.5 - Was one of our better players but after he got booked he seemed too scared to close anyone down. No one else picked up the slack, consequently we kept backing off and allowed them to take control of the game.
Dicker 5.5 - For most of the game he was giving the ball away too much, and why does he take so many set pieces? He waste most of them, There was a short period when forced to play at speed he actually was our best player, but that didn't seem to last long
Noone 6
Harley 5.5 - mostly anonymous
CMS 6 got the goal, worked hard, made a goal line clearance
Barnes 6 made some good defence plays, including a key clearance preventing a certain goal,

Vincelot - 5.5 some good, some bad. Like the rest of the team defensively too soft, too scared of pressuring he opponents
Lualua - 6 promising runs, but final ball never really troubled them
Vicente - 6 wrong game to bring him on, or the wrong time in the game. We had stopped playing and could get hold of the ball

The biggest frustration for me, was the way we, much live v Leeds, never put them under enough pressure. Defensively we backed off and let them play, we let them walk the ball into or across the area. It was frustrating to see us just capitulate. Just let them boss the game and not try to do anything. We resorted to booting it long and it came straight back. After the first 20-25 mins any time we tried to play or normal game it was an embarrassment. Passes going astray, possession being lost under the slightest pressure The team is very weak defensively, and it needs sorting.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Bridcutt mom again had to cover the midfield and was still putting it on the line despite having to take an early yellow for the team. Not going to rate the rest because what does it matter

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Today was another game we needed an oatway/kish type midfielder.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
ankergren- 4/10 - Doesnt come for crosses, all you need to know really! a poor keeper
taricco - 6/10 - thought he did ok TBH.
Greer - 5/ 10 - fpr a big guy he doesnt win much in the air
Dunk 5/10 - 2nd very ave game in a row.
painter 2/10 - shockingly slow and stitched dunk up with an awful pass which led to a yellow card for him. league 1 footballer!!
Bridcutt 5/10 - good player but has nothing around him.
Dicker 2/10 - far too slow, offers nothing going forward really, cant beat a man, never dnagerous - another league 1 player
harley 2/10 - be very suprised if he plays more than 10 time for us this season - a huge dissapointment, no wonder he never played for swansea before they let him go.
Barnes 2/10 - another who has been found out. wanting for quality and rarely gets invovled .
CMS 5/10 - got no chance doing doggies between 3 defenders on his own while his team mates just watch. either play to his strengths or let him go in january.
Noone 7/10 skinned the right back constantly and was the only real dangerman we had, so he took him off!!!

lua lua - 3/10 doesnt seem to be doing anything, not really sure what to say about him
Vicente 5/10 difficult to lower his standards and get on the same wave length as some of these inadaquate players we have. must wonder what the f*** hes doing here.
vincelot 4/10 i like him a lot, think he makes for a better LB than painter all day long. at least hes mobile and gets stuck in.

I want to be positive, but after that im struggling!!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
As it seems no one has done them, here's my take on (apart from the first 25 minutes or so) a very poor performance. How many shots on goal? Maybe two!!! What will happen when weplay a really good team?

Ankergren 5. Six goals conceded in two games. Something's wrong.

Tarrico 5. OK, but caught for pace a couple of times. Why didn't Gus play Vincelot from the start?

Greer 5. The whole defence looked suspect. Greer almost scored an og.

Dunk 6. Maybe the best of a poor bunch today.

Painter 5. OK, but some stupid passes like the one to Bridcutt which got him booked.

Noone 7. Amazing first 25 mins. Then what happened? Never seemed to see the ball.

Bridcutt 7. MOM, but not much chance to shine with the dross around him.

Harley 3. And we bought him because??

Dicker 4. Too slow today.

Barnes 3. Did sod all today. Frequently unmarked and screaming for the ball on the right, but never seemed to get it. When he did get the ball centrally he did very little that was effective.

CMS 4. Goal OK, otherwise poor. MOM? The sponsors must have been having a joke! How we miss Murray.

Subs:
Lua Lua 5. One or two good crosses plus a couple of defensive lapses.
Vincelot 7. Did OK when he came on.
Vicente 5. First time I've seen him and based on those 15 mins I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Gus 3. Screwed up today.
I generally agree, but maybe one less point each.

TB

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
No point.

We were toss and were soundly beaten by fvcking palarse FFS!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We were little better than about 8 or 9 men against 11

WTF is Harley about ... what's his role? I thought he was a playmaker .. at one point I thought he was going to get a chair out and sit down! When he got the ball he either gave it back or gave it to one of them. Shocking .. he could learn a bit from their number 20 just his work rate .. if nothing else

Also Barnes has had 3 or 4 very mediocre games, is hardly looking for the ball and his touch is clumsy. Got one decent shot away (I think) but for the most part too easily shoved off the ball.

Score both these a generous 1

Thankfully Bridcutt and Noone were as reliable as ever and would give them 7's

The rest showed no guts at all and the best side won

Something needs to change - hope Gus has some answers

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i see low scores for Barnes... he seemed to be playing very deep, so offered very little support to CMS. is this his fault or instruction to cover? half the second half he seemed to be a right back.

noone.... fantastic start, skinning their defenders.. then he didnt get the ball? really dont know what that was about. tired?

i think that might have been an issue overall, we faded at the end.

Sep 1, 2010
Ankergren Piss Off
Taricco 5
Greer 6
Dunk 4
Painter 6
Noone 7
Dicker 3
Bridcutt 7
Harley On yer Bike
Barnes 3
Mackail-Smith 6

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Are we coming to realise that Murray is better than Barnes and Hopskins and that we should have kept him? I think we miss his presence.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
OK, let's try to make the ratings reflective of their performances, not reflective of the result and the opponents.

Ankergren 4 - Below par performance. Bad distribution, didn't do enough for the first goal
Taricco 6 - Seemed calm and composed, we seemed to do most out work down the left so not involved much going forward.
Greer 5.5
Dunk 5.5
Painter 5
Bridcutt 6.5 - Was one of our better players but after he got booked he seemed too scared to close anyone down. No one else picked up the slack, consequently we kept backing off and allowed them to take control of the game.
Dicker 5.5 - For most of the game he was giving the ball away too much, and why does he take so many set pieces? He waste most of them, There was a short period when forced to play at speed he actually was our best player, but that didn't seem to last long
Noone 6
Harley 5.5 - mostly anonymous
CMS 6 got the goal, worked hard, made a goal line clearance
Barnes 6 made some good defence plays, including a key clearance preventing a certain goal,

Vincelot - 5.5 some good, some bad. Like the rest of the team defensively too soft, too scared of pressuring he opponents
Lualua - 6 promising runs, but final ball never really troubled them
Vicente - 6 wrong game to bring him on, or the wrong time in the game. We had stopped playing and could get hold of the ball

The biggest frustration for me, was the way we, much live v Leeds, never put them under enough pressure. Defensively we backed off and let them play, we let them walk the ball into or across the area. It was frustrating to see us just capitulate. Just let them boss the game and not try to do anything. We resorted to booting it long and it came straight back. After the first 20-25 mins any time we tried to play or normal game it was an embarrassment. Passes going astray, possession being lost under the slightest pressure The team is very weak defensively, and it needs sorting.

Vicente was brought on far too late to have any influence on the play and should have been introduced midway through the first half to 'secure' the game as opposed to being brought on 15 minutes, or whatever, before the end of a lost cause.

I agree mostly with your player 'points' other than, and sorry to say it, I think that you/me and other posters should perhaps be a bit more definitive - for example there appears to be little difference between an excellent or very good performance and a crap one.

Not getting at you on this point please note.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here