Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Ipswich (h)

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Mitoma and Minteh are 4 at the absolute best. You can't stink like that at home against a promoted team and be rated average. Mitoma is meant to be world class for goodness sake.
Mitoma reminds me of Trossard before and after he got injured, it took Trossard a long time to get back to his best, and I fear the same will happen with Mitoma, he just isn't the player he was at the start of last season.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I didn't notice Rutter at all in the first half.
I don't think our players did either. He made some good runs at times that seemed to be completely ignored. Not sure if he was told to, but he was consistently on the shoulder of the defenders, looking to break clear.

When he stopped doing that, he got more involved in the play admittedly.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Mitoma reminds me of Trossard before and after he got injured, it took Trossard a long time to get back to his best, and I fear the same will happen with Mitoma, he just isn't the player he was at the start of last season.
Did you watch him at Arsenal? He had Ben White on toast. He was absolutely class.

Yes, a stinker yesterday. But if we had any sort of threat at corners we might not be saying that, he won loads. Our only vague threat in the second half came from him.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bart 7 clean sheet
Veltman 7 . We had enough players pushing forward so glad he concentrated on defending well to avoid breakaway goals like WH last year.
Van Hecke 8 Fast becoming our no 1 CB
Dunk 6 Strange seems to have lost his dominence in the air and poor defending out wide when covering FB. He is an out and out CB.
Hinsh 6 Strange selection when we have 2 £20m LBs. Different player to the one playing on the right,
Baliba 7 Great prospect and because of his forward runs a crowd pleaser but gave ball away far to many times to join the rave reviews and scores.
Ayari 6 Has come on bundles needs now to get to next level around the box. and further forward.
Rutter 6 Got into some decent positions and things didnt come of for him Early days.
Minteh 3 Sorry thought he was terrible and not only did he offer nothing in attack often gave the ball away which set them up for breakaway. I was hoping after going past FB on outside for an assist at Everton this was going to be in his locker but has not looked like it since.
Welbeck 6 Thought he did ok but overall display was effected by our wide players poor performances.
Mitoma 6 Poorish game but still the player we all want to have the ball and he unlike Minteh got past FB several times. Funny but overal performance was let down by giving ball away so often. Shame he had a rare poor first touch with chance in 1st half

To sum up you need at least one forward player to be rated 8/9 and today none were anywhere near

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Verbruggen 7 - did what he should

Veltman 7 - defensively strong as usual but he's not saving our right side attack if the winger has a bad day
van Hecke 7 - strong and solid but didn't find that many opening passes today
Dunk 4 - don't care about the free kick but I do care about his poor body language and limited effort in the game. Unacceptable and I hope he got to hear it.
Hinshelwood 7 - had a good game and we definitely got worse without him

Baleba 9 - one of his best games so far, dominant in midfield Bissouma style.
Ayari 8 - he was really good today and behind most of our attacks. Unfortunately it sucks to be a playmaker when your wingers have a shit day.
Georginio 7 - had a decent game and definitely got a lot of skill but same for him as for Ayari

Minteh 3 - several awful dribbles and unprovoked mistakes, very poor. Hard work saves him from a lower grade.
Welbeck 6 - he was alright and worked his arse off but didn't get too much out of it today
Mitoma 3 - almost as bad as Minteh, looked far from his best straight from kickoff

Ferdi 5 - looked very nervous and made some dangerous mistakes but also showed a little bit of why we signed him, he has a very nice technical foundation and looks pacy as well
Enciso 5 - wandered around in no mans land
Adingra 6 - tried to be a bit more direct than Minteh/Mitoma but didn't achieve much today
Spot on with Minteh and thus far I think that sums up my initial impression. His dribbling into blind alleys with head down is frustrating when there may be better options. Having said this one hopes that his decision making will only get better with game time and experience. To his credit you also can't doubt his work rate and tracking back.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Verbruggen 7 - Had very little to do but distribution was good.

Veltman 7 - Very reliable but perhaps a proper right back would be more effective going forwards.
Van Hecke 8 - Very solid as usual.
Dunk 5- I wonder if Fabian will be brave enough to play Webster or Igor ?
Hinshelwood 7.5- So impressed with this player. Out of position but copes well and very good going forwards.
Baleba 9 -Excellent game and he got a shot on target!! Virtually everything good came through him
Ayari 8 - Thought he was excellent and very creative.
Georginio 7 - He will score soon! Played well.
Minteh 4 - Sometime he will learn to look where he is dribbling. He lost the ball too often.
Welbeck 6.5 - So many clever flicks just didn´t work for him. I remember him chasing back to win the ball back. Still quick at his age!
Mitoma 4- One of his worst performances for us. Pretty much bossed by their full back.

Ferdi 5 - I think once he settles in the team he will be a really good player for us.
Enciso 5 - Not enough delivered for him to work with. Game was crying out for one of his screamers!
Adingra 6 - Came on too late. Mitoma should heve been off at HT.
Ferguson too late on to mark but one great 1st touch, swivel and shot.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Did you watch him at Arsenal? He had Ben White on toast. He was absolutely class.

Yes, a stinker yesterday. But if we had any sort of threat at corners we might not be saying that, he won loads. Our only vague threat in the second half came from him.
Agreed. If he'd buried that first half chance then most would be giving him a 6 or 7. Long flights are not great for players energy or judgement.

With Minteh, I thought he did fine first half, some good running and excellent crossing with his left foot.

I thought Ipswich defended very well, and kept our wingers out of the game second half - credit to them.

I don't think our players did either. He made some good runs at times that seemed to be completely ignored. Not sure if he was told to, but he was consistently on the shoulder of the defenders, looking to break clear.

When he stopped doing that, he got more involved in the play admittedly.

His run that led to those golden Mitoma chances was probably our best bit of forward player composure of the entire game. It can be equally true that we overpaid a little for him but that he’ll still be a very useful player for us

Partially agree but he succeeded with 33/34 passes. Not that he tried many spectacular ones but its still good numbers. Only need to really f*** up once and the whole "total spectator" goes out the window.
Yes he’d have been worth a low mark then. But Ipswich weren’t pressing at all in any numbers so fairly routine stuff

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Verbruggen 7 - Didn't have much to do, but distribution was good
Veltman 7 - Solid as usual, got forward well
JPHV 8 - Now head and shoulders clear as our best CB
Dunk 6 - Indifferent and bad at free kicks
Hinshelwood 7 - Looked good until the yellow
Baleba 8 - All action
Ayari 8 - Looking better by the game
Rutter 7 - Had some really good moments, team needs to look for him more
Minteh 5 - Couldn't get the ball out from under his feet and poor crossing
Mitoma 5 - See Minteh, plus some utterly bizarre misplaced passes
Welbeck 6 - Pretty isolated by our wingers insistence on chipping the ball into Muric

Subs:
All 6's although Ferdi and Evan looked promising. Ferdi appears to also be the most right footed LB I've ever seen, by the way

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Yeah I did, not sure why but I have a different opinion of him in that game. Going by the responses to my post I am missing something. Very happy to be wrong

Mitoma travelled further on international duty than any of our other players, and had been back in the UK for less than 72 hours. He is one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen play for us. What ‘opinion’ is that then? Going by your location a completely irrelevant one. Arsenal your ‘first team’ by any chance?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Mitoma travelled further on international duty than any of our other players, and had been back in the UK for less than 72 hours. He is one of the most exciting players I’ve ever seen play for us. What ‘opinion’ is that then? Going by your location a completely irrelevant one. Arsenal your ‘first team’ by any chance?
FFS pull your frigging head in, I grew up in Haywards Heath and have supported Brighton since I knew what football was. I love Mitoma, all I said was he didn't seem as good as before his injury and I was worried he would be like Trossard in that he would take a long time to get back to his best.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here