Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Chelsea (a)

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I though Dunk and Veltman were stand-out performers, alongside Bissouma. The back line defended very well, albeit gave the ball away (Webster/White) a little too often for comfort in 1st half, although Chelsea were themselves good without the ball making it difficult to find those passes.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Sanchez 6
Veltman 7
White 8
Dunk 8 *** MOM
Webster 6
Burn 7
Bissouma 7
MacAllister 7
Gross 7
Trossard 6
Wellbeck 6

Excellent all round team performance.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
White gets a bonus point in my book for the 2nd yellow which saved us a point.
We’ve lost a lot of points this season because we didn’t engage the cynical tactical foul that the likes of Man City use every game.
Thinking Palace in particular!!!! Well done Ben - and before anyone moans it is and always has been part of the game
That's what you learn on loan at dirty Leeds.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really can’t see the low scores for MacAllister who may well have been our best player first half. Perhaps not so influential second, but for me in a good team performance is deserving of a 7. Struggling to understand the number of 5’s awarded.

Absolutely this.

MacAllister was excellent last night.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Great game BDB

Sanchez 7
Veltman 7.5
White 7.5
Dunk 8
Webster 6.5
Burn 7.5
Bissouma 7
MacAllister 6
Gross 7
Trossard 6
Wellbeck 6.5

Maupay, Lallana and to a lesser extent Moder good when they came on.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Given the whole circus off the field and the fact that as poor as Chelsea were, their pressing was as good as I have seen, I will go with 8s all around. A good test of our style as we were given no time on the ball at all. There were a few mistakes we survived but their pressing told and they tired at the end allowing us a chance to nick it. Not that pretty to watch but nice to see us not crumble when a good team actually give us the compliment of trying to stop us playing.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Marks are given for whole game not just very good 2nd half.

Sanchez 7 Clean sheet and little to do.
White 6 Got better but very poor distribution in 1st half that should have cost goals
Dunk 8 Very good
Webster 6 After layoff understandable got better as game went on.
Veltman 7 Did OK
Burn 5 Nothing going forward and uncomfortable out wide in defence, Still dont understand why never wins a header at our corners
Bissouma 7 His highs are very high but good news is cant see big club buying until he cuts out some of mistakes
Gross 7 Did a lot of work stopping Chelsea attacks
Mcalister 6 Difficult game for him. Needed to get nearer to Welbeck
Trossard 5 Seemed to have a free role all across front line but didnt work. Always better on left cutting in but last night Burn was there.
Welbeck 6 Not easy position to play in tough away game. Different to Maupay in that not so much movement in box.
Lalana Why cant he shoot straight.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I though Dunk and Veltman were stand-out performers, alongside Bissouma. The back line defended very well, albeit gave the ball away (Webster/White) a little too often for comfort in 1st half, although Chelsea were themselves good without the ball making it difficult to find those passes.

Biss gave away a few sloppy passes too. We seem to play either with pinpoint accurate passes, or sloppy passes to no mans land.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sanchez - 7 Not troubled
White - 7 Shame about the 2nd yellow. Good game though.
Dunk - 8 In charge at the back and some good passes.
Veltman - 7.5 Mr Versatile. Never lets us down.
Webster - 5.5 Poor in first half. Improved in 2nd and was understandably rusty.
Burn - 7.5 - Always seems to marked down as he is Dan Burn. (Did you know he is the tallest left back in the PL?) I thought he played really well last night and had the better of James.
Gross - 7.5 Very good work last night won a lot of tackles and that turn!!
Bissouma - 8 How he has improved this season. If only he could get shots on target!
MacAllister - 6 I thought he was missing at times. Not a Lallana replacement yet.
Trossard - 6 Has been great recently but not up to that level last night.
Welbeck - 6 Got better in 2nd half but I think it was 20 minutes before his name was even mentioned on commentary.

Lallana - 7 Great midfielder but finishing is poor.
Maupay - 6 I think he should have come on a little earlier. Busy and lively.

Potter 8- I think he rested some players ready for Sheffield Utd but got his tactics spot on. A few moments when I thought ooh no, here they go and score but in fact, they really didn't threaten as much as we did.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i thought we were terrific again. If anyone deserved to win the game it was us.

This was a game away at a Top 4 side, a side that has a great chance of being Champions of Europe this season, just think about that before people start handing out 5's .... unbelievable Jeff

Everyone a 7 with 8s to Dunk, Veltman and Biss. Even with those scores I am feeling a bit mean.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sanchez - 8

White - 8
Dunk - 8
Webster - 7

Veltman - 7
Gross - 7
Bissouma - 9 - MOM (special - make the most of watching him play for us)
Mac Allister - 7
Burn - 7

Trossard - 7
Welbeck - 7

Lallana - 7
Maupay - 7
Moder - n/a

Stumpy Tim

Sanchez - 7. Sign of a good keeper is making a save when not called upon much, and he did that. The sheer size of him must also have an affect on the opposition. Our defence just looks better with him in goal.
White - 8. Deserved MoTM. He's really grown into a top class defender as the season has progressed. His positioning especially has improved no end
Dunk - 8. Could have been MoTM too. We really should have at least one defender in the England squad
Webster - 6. Probably the weakest link at the back, but understandable after so much time out. He got better, and very useful to have 90 minutes done with Sheff Utd coming up
Veltman - 7. Solid. I hope he slips into the back 3 on Saturday
Burn - 7. Solid too. Some surpisingly fancy footwork at times too!
Bissouma - 7.5. Best midfielder on the pitch, and really the only Albion player trying different things. Shame he didn't smash one in the top corner of the net rather than the stand
Gross - 7. Decent. We really should score more set-pieces given his delivery
MacAllister - 7. Busy, without being a huge danger. He will only get better though
Trossard - 5. One of his poorer games, though Chelsea seem to identify him as a key guy and got players round him quick
Welbeck - 6. Poor first half, better second half. I don't think a central role alone is his posiiton... he's better cutting in off the left

Lallana - 6.5. Class as always, but points off for missing the best chance of the game
Maupay - 6.5. Busier and hungry. I thought he did well
Moder - 6.5. Not on long, but looked decent when he did

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Really can’t see the low scores for MacAllister who may well have been our best player first half. Perhaps not so influential second, but for me in a good team performance is deserving of a 7. Struggling to understand the number of 5’s awarded.

Yes absolutely this. He worked incredibly hard, did a great job defensively and then tried to create on transition.

Likewise I think the low ratings for Trossard are unfair. Worked incredibly hard and again was a big part of our tight defensive unit which he doesn't get a lot of credit for.

I don't think any of the players can be faulted last night, all 14 played their part well. Webster's rustiness showed with those three stray passes but he got better as the game wore on and still put in some great challenges and characteristic bursts forward.

A really excellent all round team performance. And I include Potter and the coaches in that - tactics spot on. And I know Tuchel has said that his players were distracted, well sitting on that bus for all that extra time can't have helped our players either so full credit to them.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Sanchez 6
Veltman 8
White 8
Dunk 8
Webster 6
Burn 7
Bissouma 8
Mac Allister 8
Trossard 6
Gross 7
Wellbeck 7

Subs Llanna 6 Moder 6 Maupay 6

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
i thought we were terrific again. If anyone deserved to win the game it was us.

This was a game away at a Top 4 side, a side that has a great chance of being Champions of Europe this season, just think about that before people start handing out 5's .... unbelievable Jeff

Everyone a 7 with 8s to Dunk, Veltman and Biss. Even with those scores I am feeling a bit mean.

Spot on. A superb focused performance - especially in the circumstances surrounding the match. Ultimately I suspect Tuchel was scratching his head a little bit, unlike the WBA 10 man fluke fest we were marginally better then them, especially at carving out chances - I think a narrow win wouldn’t have been unjust.

I have to say GP has really turned us round - I was really unsure at one point this season, but he’s really found a formula (or multiple variants thereof) to get the best out of his team, as well as regarding his tactical setup against the differing level of opposition within the PL.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought Dunk was outstanding last night. I think he does so much tidying up same as Bissouma while it's the latter who gets all the admiration from the pundits...no one seems to query why he is not playing for England but think Ben White will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here