Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Watford Home

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the problem we have now is Gus says he is work in progress which probably means Gus isn't going to admit he's bought a dud and is going to perservere with him.

I for one have seen enough. I think that's as good as he's going to be which is really disappointing.

28 year old "work in progress".

Barnes is 22. That's a work in progress.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
01. Gonzalez 5
02. Calderon 6
03. Painter 3
04. Bridcutt 6
05. Dunk 5
06. El-Abd 6
07. Dicker 3
08. Barnes 3
09. Mackail-Smith 5
10. Buckley 7

11. LuaLua 6

Vicente 6
Vincelot 6

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So you're saying you would be as harsh on a 16 year old in his first game, as you would a £15 million pound signing, if they both put in a woeful display? It wouldn't enter your reasoning at all?

I return your BOLLOCKS to you, with haste. A LOT of our budget went on CMS, so it does matter.

No, I would put into perspective what I believe they could bring to the team - experience being one of them.

Would you be quite so harsh on CMS if he only cost, say, £100,000? Or is that how you judge him? Was, for instance, Glenn Murray four times better than Nicky Forster?

I just get gnarled that far too often the first level of judgement of a player is the transfer fee. For me, the transfer fee is Tony's problem, not the squad's - nor usually the individual's. Nor ours.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, I would put into perspective what I believe they could bring to the team - experience being one of them.

Would you be quite so harsh on CMS if he only cost, say, £100,000? Or is that how you judge him? Was, for instance, Glenn Murray four times better than Nicky Forster?

I just get gnarled that far too often the first level of judgement of a player is the transfer fee. For me, the transfer fee is Tony's problem, not the squad's - nor usually the individual's. Nor ours.

I am slightly annoyed that we have spent near £3m on a player who does not HAVE a first touch. I'm not gonna judge everything his does on his transfer fee, but my above post stands;

If a 16 year old playing his first game, looking terrified, had a poor game, you wouldn't be as hard on him as you would on a £15m signing, a proven quality player, having the exact same game.

I'm sorry but if you deny that, you are just lying to yourself.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
28 year old "work in progress".

Barnes is 22. That's a work in progress.

I agree Barnes is much more promising however his technique/concentration is poor compared to most other Championship players.

Also he is slow which is far more important. Unfortunately if this club has aspirations of the Premiership which we should have he cannot be part of it because you cannot be that slow in the premiership.

If you haven't got it you can't find that extra yard.

If your looking for potential look no further than JFC. I assume Gus is being careful with him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree Barnes is much more promising however his technique/concentration is poor compared to most other Championship players.

Also he is slow which is far more important. Unfortunately if this club has aspirations of the Premiership which we should have he cannot be part of it because you cannot be that slow in the premiership.

If you haven't got it you can't find that extra yard.

If your looking for potential look no further than JFC. I assume Gus is being careful with him.

You may, sadly, be right. I do think he actually has a football brain that belies his years though. I don't think it's a coincidence Vicente often seeks out Barnes.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am slightly annoyed that we have spent near £3m on a player who does not HAVE a first touch. I'm not gonna judge everything his does on his transfer fee, but my above post stands;

I'm slightly annoyed by the fact our main striker's first touch isn't always up to par, but I don't give a shit that he happened to cost £2.5m.

If a 16 year old playing his first game, looking terrified, had a poor game, you wouldn't be as hard on him as you would on a £15m signing, a proven quality player, having the same game.

I'm sorry but if you deny that, you are just lying to yourself.

Thanks for telling what I'm thinking. It's a real comfort to have you as my svengali.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It's the way the world works though. If you bought a tea cup for £5 and the handle fell off you'd be miffed. If you picked up a tea cup at a car boot sale and the handle fell off you probably wouldn't be. Football is no different. CMS is our biggest signing and with this comes expectation; it has to otherwise you would not pay so much money.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm slightly annoyed by the fact our main striker's first touch isn't always up to par, but I don't give a shit that he happened to cost £2.5m.

f*** you - don't ever tell me what I'm thinking or how to think. Who gave you that right?

Cor blimey, alright...settle down, Al. I made a perfectly valid and good point, and I apologise that it has riled you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's the way the world works though. If you bought a tea cup for £5 and the handle fell off you'd be miffed. If you picked up a tea cup at a car boot sale and the handle fell off you probably wouldn't be. Football is no different. CMS is our biggest signing and with this comes expectation; it has to otherwise you would not pay so much money.

Spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must agree to a certain extent with TLO as the cost of a player is immaterial to us as supporters as we haven't had to pay it. What we expect is a player to perform on the pitch and in most aspects CMS is doing that. He is obviously low in goal scoring confidence but I sensed Vicente trying to play him in with through balls when he came on so perhaps if we can keep Vicente then CMS will improve his goal scoring ratio, which is probably the way Gus is thinking., with his work in progress statement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Football is different.

With a cup of tea - while you'd expect quality - it's an inanimate object.

With football, you're dealing with real live humans who are subject to... oh f*** it, I'm not going to insult your intelligence - you know the rest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
TLO, you'll (hopefully) notice through my time on here that I'm not a "CMS basher", and also that I don't think I have ever mentioned his fee before, as it is not fair on the PLAYER (see Andy Carroll) for people to use their price tag as a stick to beat them with.

However, when watching a game, you do expect different things of different players, and the price tag can (to an extent) inform that, along with MANY other factors. AGAIN, Man Utd fans would not expect the same of Tom Cleverly on his debut, as they would Paul Scholes, in his 700th game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What we expect is a player to perform on the pitch and in most aspects CMS is doing that.

Considering what we hoped for from CMS, I think many would disagree with this statement.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He is obviously low in goal scoring confidence but I sensed Vicente trying to play him in with through balls when he came on

The trouble is he wasn't reading them.

We could see the ball Vicente was going to play and he wasn't getting on the end of them.

Mind you no-one else was either.

Last night I think the gulf between Vicente and the rest of the team was at its widest all season.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
1. Gonzalez 5
2. Calderon 7
3. Painter 3
4. Bridcutt 8
5. Dunk 6
6. El-Abd 7
7. Dicker 3
8. Barnes 7
9. CMS 3

10. Buckley 8
11. Lualua 6

Vicente 8
Vincelot 7

You give Barnes a 7, he had the first touch of a sledgehammerlast night, and CMS, who IMO had one of his better games last night, a 3. Admittedly he should have buried a 1st half chance.:ffsparr:
I really wonder if I am at the same game sometimes, or a total Know Nothing C***

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think part of my annoyance is also based on the fact Barnes makes a mistake; the whole of WSU goes mental. CMS does EXACTLY THE SAME; some quiet mutterings. It's backwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football is different.

With a cup of tea - while you'd expect quality - it's an inanimate object.

With football, you're dealing with real live humans who are subject to... oh f*** it, I'm not going to insult your intelligence - you know the rest.

Not true. If you bought a tea cup from John Lewis you'd expect quality. Argos not so.

When I moved to Brighton I treated myself to some new crockery and I invested in John Lewis with the expectation none of the handles will fall off. 9 years later they're holding firm.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think part of my annoyance is also based on the fact Barnes makes a mistake; the whole of WSU goes mental. CMS does EXACTLY THE SAME; some quiet mutterings. It's backwards.

The thing is that Barnes isn't "rated". CMS, irrelevant of form or goalscoring is because he works hard. What frustrates me is that people ignore how hard Barnes works supporting the full backs, something that actually benefits the team.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

That says more about people's attitude towards Barnes than it does CMS. Substitute 'CMS' for 'anyone else' in your post, and you're closer to the mark.

And it's not the whole of WSU, thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here