Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings v Watford Home

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone? I will add mine tomorrow, but wanted to get the thread started tonight.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Gonzalez: 5. Poor for the goal and early distribution was poor, but slowly gained confidence.
Painter: 3. woeful, looked really out of his depth and half a yard off the pace both physically and mentally
El Abd: 7. did well to shackle the front two, contender for MoM
Dunk: 6. Not a great first half (thought touch was poor) but got better as game went on
Calderon: 8. Good going forward and tracked back well, good laces on the goal.
Bridcutt: 9. MOM. Did very little wrong tonight.
Dicker: 4. far too many misplaced passes - some good intentions but was not up to it.
Lua Lua: 6.5. Looked to use his pace and power when possible, but didn't get the service or support from Painter.
Buckley: 7. Had the beating of their FB on more than one occasion, but looked isolated. Good finish for the goal.
Barnes: 6. not a great game, but wasn't his worst either. Always worry that his actions will cause him trouble.
CMS: 6.5. Good effort early on but other attempts were hard but did well - seemed very keen to chase the long ball which had their CB's on the lookout.

Vicente: 7. Not his best game but looked good when on - radar was slightly off but that little bit of quality mattered.
Vincelot: 7.5. Very impressed - composed, good on the ground and in the air and willing to track forward. Would have liked to have seen 90mins from him, as he's been good each time i've seen him.

Last edited:

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Gonzales 3 - Cr@p

Calderon 7 - is my MOTM
El Abd 6 - solid
Dunk 5 - not his best game
Painter 1 - Why did he start?

Buckley 6 - done ok but nothing great like he normally is, because he's playing his old club maybe?
Dicker 3 - expected so much more from him but dont seem the same since his injury.
Bridcutt 6 - not great but done good and love how he marked the tallest players in the watford side for set pieces.
Kazenga 4 - dont think he really got going

Barnes 4 - cost us to lose a few important balls.
CMS 6 - poor game yet again im affaid, as time goes on & with lack of goals I think I would snp up £4MIL if someone offered it.

Subs:
Vicente 7 - If he played full game no doubt he could of been MOTM we will miss him if he goes :/
Vincelot 6 - good game, most underated player in the squad IMO

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just got home, the M4 is a building site! I'd do some scores in the morning.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gonzales - 5 - Shaky throughout
Calderon - 7 - Fairly good
Dunk - 6 - Average
El-Abd - 7 - Worked hard covered an enormous amount of ground covering others.
Painter - 5 - Offered nothing in first half, rightly substituted
Bridcutt - 7 - Had to cover for others shortcomings
Dicker - 4 - Very poor. Sublime back heel but that was it, poor positional play team lost its shape in 2nd half.
Buckley - 7 - dangerous when on the ball but didn't get it enough.
KLL - 6 - Better when coming off the bench. Tired in 2nd half.
Barnes - 5 - Had better days, poor first touch. SHocking volley
CMS - 5 - Dreadful. Works hard, but misses too many opportunities.

Vincelot - 6 - Ok, but not the answer
Vicente - 7 - Great cross for second goal, but not as fluid as previous.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bridcutt, Calderon, CMS and Buckley are the only players last night who can be happy with their performances.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
1. Gonzalez 5. Didn't inspire confidence, lacked presence.
2. Calderon 7. Good display, lovely finish.
3. Painter 5. Lack of pace is being found out at this level.
4. Bridcutt 9. Did the work of three men (literally).
5. Dunk 5. Very rusty, get out the WD40.
6. El-Abd 7. Held the defence together with Calde and Bridcutt.
7. Dicker 5. The invisible man, he played apparently they said so on the tannoy.
8. Barnes 6. Left his touch in the changing room, plenty of effort.
9. CMS 5. Supply wasn't too bad but never seemed to be in the right place.
10. Buckley 8. Showed for the ball, strikers finish
11. Lualua 7. Lively, and got kicked to bits

Vicente 8. Class, changed the game
Vincelot 6. Firmed up the defence.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gonzales - 5 - Shaky throughout
Calderon - 7 - Fairly good
Dunk - 6 - Average
El-Abd - 7 - Worked hard covered an enormous amount of ground covering others.
Painter - 5 - Offered nothing in first half, rightly substituted
Bridcutt - 7 - Had to cover for others shortcomings
Dicker - 4 - Very poor. Sublime back heel but that was it, poor positional play team lost its shape in 2nd half.
Buckley - 7 - dangerous when on the ball but didn't get it enough.
KLL - 6 - Better when coming off the bench. Tired in 2nd half.
Barnes - 5 - Had better days, poor first touch. SHocking volley
CMS - 5 - Dreadful. Works hard, but misses too many opportunities.

Vincelot - 6 - Ok, but not the answer
Vicente - 7 - Great cross for second goal, but not as fluid as previous.

Seriously...you thought CMS performance ranked the same as Painter, Barnes and Gonzalez......... honestly...I wonder if some people on here have ever watched a game of football before, if you have you certainly dont know what they are watching.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
1. Gonzalez 5
2. Calderon 7
3. Painter 3
4. Bridcutt 8
5. Dunk 6
6. El-Abd 7
7. Dicker 3
8. Barnes 7
9. CMS 3
10. Buckley 8
11. Lualua 6

Vicente 8
Vincelot 7

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Seriously...you thought CMS performance ranked the same as Painter, Barnes and Gonzalez......... honestly...I wonder if some people on here have ever watched a game of football before, if you have you certainly dont know what they are watching.
He was at the same level as Painter, but I agree with you, he was nowhere near the same level as Barnes, much worse infact.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Blue and White Tiger...another user name I can add to the growing list of " Knows nothing about football "

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Blue and White Tiger...another user name I can add to the growing list of " Knows nothing about football "

What did he contribute? The fans are blinded by him getting close to closing down the keeper once every 3 games.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
He was at the same level as Painter, but I agree with you, he was nowhere near the same level as Barnes, much worse infact.

Unbelievable mate, you cant of been watching the same game?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
On the basis of 6 being acceptable as a benchmark:

Gonzalez 6 - at fault with free kick and distribution played us into trouble at times but did catch the ball well and was solid after his early error
Painter 5 - looked sluggish and his movement was poor at times
Dunk - 6 - generally acceptable
El Abd - 7 - solid and good control of their forwards
Calderon - 7 - good control and willing to go forward
Bridcutt - 7 - poor first half but much better second half
Dicker - 5 - 3 games in a week looks too much for him although at times the movement off the ball for him made him look worse than was fair and played a solid part in Calde's goal
Lua Lua - 6 tried hard and made a lot of space
Buckley - 8 was my MoM
Barnes - 6 worked hard, made some poor distribution but again made to look worse by lack of movement around him
CMS - 6 worked hard, got into more attacking positions and great distraction of the defence to give Buckley space for his goal
Vicente - 7 - positive introduction. Tried to do too much at time
Vincelot - 7 - very positive change and had a much better 45 mins than Painter had

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
GK Gonzales - 5 Eccentric first half performance, not helped by the sarcastic mocking of our own fans which was out of order. Settled down as the game went on but didn't fill me with any confidence.
RB Calderon - 7 Another excellent display from the stand in skipper. Seems to have upped his game since the arrival of the loanees, defensively sound after being labelled unfairly suspect in that area.
LB Painter - 5 Looks off the pace, but hasn't had a lot of match time recently. Mattock seems a superior player and would rather we turn our attentions to him in the summer.
CB Dunk -6.5 Solid display.
CB El-Abd - 6.5 After having his worst game for the club in the Poyet era against West Ham an improved display with the odd edgy moment.
CM Bridcutt - 7.5 MOTM for me drove the team forward in the second half.
CM Dicker - 4 I think Gus has asked too much of Dicker to thrust him straight back into first team action after such a long lay off. Surely a couple of 20/30 minute appearance as sub would have been a better way of integrating a 'touch' player back into first team action.
LM Lua-Lua - 5 The Watford fullback played him really well and this highlighted the biggest flaw in his game that he doesn't have the guile or inventiveness to beat a fullback if they match him for pace. Put in a great cross in the first half and his delivery has generally improved this season.
RM Buckley - 6 The goal was his biggest contribution and seems to have lost a bit of form recently, certainly not having the success he had earlier in the season.
Str Barnes - 5 Should be no more than a squad player if we want to push on next season. Passing at times dreadful but did put in a superb first time cross for CMS in the second half which should have lead to a goal.
Str CMS - 6.5 One of his best performances in the past 2/3 months. He can have no complaints about service tonight and needs to start taking some of the chances presented to him. His hold up play was a lot better last night and I would hope we use him for 90 minutes over the next two games as he needs some momentum going into next season if we persevere with him.

Subs
Vincelot - 7 Keep him at LB if Mattock isn't available or central midfield if he is. Looked good down the left last night.
Vicente - 7.5 At the heart of everything good about our second half display. At times was too eager to play the killer ball but when he plays we create and he should have been used from the start. Watford at home where we are likely to boss possession is when we want Vicente for 90 minutes, if we are going to rest him then I would rather keep him on the bench for the backs against the wall away games such as West Ham, Brum and Southampton when we need 11 workers to keep it solid.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Gonzalez 6
Calderon 7
Painter 4
Dunk 7
El-Abd 7
Bridcutt 7
Dicker 5
Barnes 5
CMS 8
Buckley 8
Lualua 6

Vicente 7.5
Vincelot 7.5

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What did he contribute? The fans are blinded by him getting close to closing down the keeper once every 3 games.

The mere fact that you ask shows you can't have been paying attention.

Gonzales - 4 - Shaky throughout, but some of his clearance, esp in the second half were pretty well pin-point. No, really.
Calderon - 6 - A captain's role, and a captain's goal
Dunk - 5 - Started fairly in a docile manner. Pretty solid thereafter
El-Abd - 7 - Showed the other defenders how to do it
Painter - 4 - Sluggish. Days are numbered I fear. Pity.
Bridcutt - 5 - The crab. Move over Ray Wilkins...
Dicker - 3 - Poor sod, just awful.
Buckley - 6 - Got stuck in. Still need to toughen up
KLL - 5 - Wasn't really happening for him.
Barnes - 5 - Seen better from him. But seen worse. Never stopped working, though. Cracking ongoing spat with Eustace...
CMS - 6 - Best game for a while. Kept their centre-half busy. Knows how to control a 60-yard flighted ball. Just needs to work on the 5-yard ball to feet...

Vincelot - 6 - Better than Painter. Much better.
Vicente - 7 - He de man.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

CMS was dreadful. Actually I have played the game to a good level so am probably more qualified to comment than you think. If you thought he was good did you watch the same game? The shot across the goal in the second half when clean through was woeful, the scuffed shot when through in the first half was a player with little confidence, the header in the second half should have been buried.
What's your excuse?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here