Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Forest at home

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Gus today: "we are what we are".

Can we stop the effing moaning please? We won. This division is bloody hard work. We've had injuries left right and centre and guess what? We're not the best team in the world. Get on the Gus Bus full time and stop the bitching.

Or continue with your tedious groaning somewhere else. At least let the rest of us enjoy supporting the Albion without having to come on here to continual "Gus didn't do this/that/the other etc etc".

Read your history books and be damned effing grateful we are where we are and we're in a position to try and improve.

Thanks.
This is the correct answer . 6th in the Championship - that's a play off spot ladies and gents. Challenging for the Premiership already, where barely 24 months ago we had a battle to avoid League 2. I'd say that's pretty damn good progress and exceeding all expectations.
Stop yer effin whining and moaning people, and get behind the team.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
My ratings:

Casper 6

Tanno 6.5
Dunk 6.5
Greer 7
Reyes 7.5

Bridcutt 6
Navs 6
Nooney 7
Barnes 5.5
Paynter 5
CMS 8

KLL 7
Vincelot 7.5
Buckley 8

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ankergren - 5 - Not much to do but nowhere near 2 or 3 high balls and not commanding in his box ... seems reluctant to commit himself. But do like the way he's kicking a few balls now, good to see it mixed up a bit

Tanno - 6 - Solid, didn't really notice him too much
Dunk 7 - Liked the way he came forward with the ball at this feet a couple of times
Greer - 7 - Nothing spectacular, nothing wrong ... a fairly easy day for him
Reyes - 7 - Did what was aksed of him ... sense he will be make things happen playing alongside Bridcutt

Bridcutt - 6 - quiet day by his standards but put in a couple of well timed tackles
Nav's - 4 - Was he playing?

Noone - 6 - Hustle and Bustle but end product a bit disappointing
Barnes - 4 - Ineffective and seems to have lost his way. Not sure what role he has to play in our set up
Paynter - 6 - I thought he made some useful runs and his touch was fair. If he was a buy and not a loan maybe others would give him a chance (as Harley)
CMS - 6 - Quiet day kept going as usual and quality run for the set up

KLL - 7 - Gave us a bit more charge when he came on .. halted a period where Forest were beginning to dominate
Vincelot - 7 - Sublime lay off, uber intelligent thinking from that man
Buckley - 7 - His very first touch he left there LB standing and made 4 yards from nothing .. calm and assured goal

Overall another unconvincing team performance but all good stuff for Gus and squad to review and improve on so I'm getting more optimistic ... I thought the expression "any team can beat any team" was over used but now I believe it to be true ... just take a look at the league results this past 2/3 weeks. On that basis aspiring to a play off place isn't unrealistic ... saying that (and as someone else said elsewhere) looking forward to us getting to 50 points and then having some fun

WTF has happened to Vicente?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I really don't get this Tanno as Man Of The Match, he was roasted for pace all afternoon and his distribution wasn't at his best if Painter had played like that we would have called for his head.

Also CMS always marked to high, always wanted to turn his marker who was a man mountain, really could have done with holding the ball up and bringing midfield into the game and take the pressure off the back four.

I thought Greer and Dunk where outstanding again, Dunk is starting to look more and more like Lawrence and has the confidence to carry the ball into midfield taking opposition of of the game. Dunk was Man of the Match.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm going to have a moan. We might be 6th inn the table, but flattering to deceive at the moment. We pleyed very very poorly yesterday against one of the bottom teams in the division. One shot on goal ... and we were the home team for chrissake! We looked extremely pedestrian. No urgency about our game except for a few brief moments. And Tarrico as MOM??? What were the sponsors on? In the second half playing in front of the West Stand he was crap. The Forest number 20 had him in his pocket. He outjumped Tarrico every single time. And his passing was truly awful. And the injuries? What the hell is happening? Where was Hoskins? Where was Harley?

Ankergren 5. Does not inspire confidence, but one first class save.
Reyes 6. I was expecting a lot more. Couple of killer pases in the first half, but too many misplaced ones later.
Greer 8. Didn't do a lot wrong.
Dunk 8 Ditto and a couple of crucial blocks.
Tarrico 4. See above.
Bridcutt 6. Not one of his best games.
Navarro 7. OK.
Noone 8. Some moments of brilliance, but a quiet 2nd half and end producy often missing.
Barnes 5. What's the point of playing a striker in midfield when we have midfielders on the bench? Explain.
Paynter 5. Couple of nice touches, but the guy positions himself very badly when competing for high balls and really isn't cutting the mustard.
CMS 7. Runs around a lot, but needs a Murray type of player to play off.

Subs:
Lua Lua 8. A revelation. More decent crosses from him in 20 mins than from the rest of the team during the entire game.
Vincelot 7. I didn't notice him do a lot, but accept others' comments about his quality contribution.
Buckley 8. For the goal and a couple of very good runs.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
I don't think CMS had his best game, but i'm gonna give him a 10. Simply because even after 92 minutes of running his socks off and getting beaten up by Wes Morgan he can still find the energy to roast a full back down the flank and drill a plum cross into the box. Incredible, just incredible!!!

Cms is a legend and I agree - Morgan had him in his pocket for the entire game ( above avge performance from him I would have thought. Mental strength from CMS to keep going and chase every lost cause right up to the final whistle won us that match - what a great example to players like Harley e.g. ( though he is getting better).

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Whilst it is great seeing the side win, I do feel that the side has gone backwards in the way that they are playing. It was not a one off bad performance, there have been several in recent weeks. It looks as if we are the away team when playing at home. The teams look attacking on paper , but neither Barnes or Paynter got into the opposition box once. I feel sorry for Paynter because if he was brought in as a striker he not being played as one and the fans are judging him as one. He was certainly not the worst player in midfield yesterday.
As I said it's great to see us where we are in the league, but I for one want to be entertained as well and what we had to watch against NF was very poor.
Still in Gus we trust and as he says, we may have to improve the squad in January.???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Whilst it is great seeing the side win, I do feel that the side has gone backwards in the way that they are playing. It was not a one off bad performance, there have been several in recent weeks. It looks as if we are the away team when playing at home. The teams look attacking on paper , but neither Barnes or Paynter got into the opposition box once. I feel sorry for Paynter because if he was brought in as a striker he not being played as one and the fans are judging him as one. He was certainly not the worst player in midfield yesterday.
As I said it's great to see us where we are in the league, but I for one want to be entertained as well and what we had to watch against NF was very poor.
Still in Gus we trust and as he says, we may have to improve the squad in January.???

Well said that man. I too would like to be entertained and our display for much of yesterday's game hardly ranked as entertainment. We really need to get our game moving. Far too slow at everything we do or attempt to do. We need CMS to transfer some of his energy to his team mates.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ankergren 5
Taricco 7
Dunk 7
Greer 7
Reyes 7
Bridcutt 7
Navarro 6
Noone 6
Barnes 6
Paynter 5
CMS 7

Lualua 7
Vincelot 7
Buckley 8

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ankergren - 6 Clean sheet but did not inspire confidence.
Reyes - 7 Good performer but feel he would add more in midfield.
Taricco - 6 Poor game by his own standards.
Dunk - 7 Impressive performer
Greer - 8 MOM

Bridcutt - 7 Good defensive game, but isn't influencing the game as much as earlier in the season
Navarro - 6 Neat and tidy but I cant help feeling we need more energy and pace in midfield
Barnes - 4 Played out of position but poor
Noone - 7 Only real threat until the substituions

CMS - 6 Morgan played him brilliantly, but fair play for his drive in injury time to create the goal
Paynter - 5 Had a decent first half but went back to being a lump of shit in the 2nd

Lua Lua - 7 Lively and got in a few dangerous crosses
Buckley - 7 Loves an injury time winner
Vincelot - 7 Not on for long but made a major contribution

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Lucky old win, didn't play very well, but we all still celebrated like a demented monkey when the goal went in. Didn't think anybody played that well. Paynter is a shocking footballer, league 1 at best. Still don't rate Navarro at all, we looked better once he'd been removed.

Special mention for Vincelot... what does he have to do to get a proper run in the team? He looks great whenever he plays.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

They've sunk into an uncreative team, after they realised the Dicker (or Sparrow or Harley) midfield wasn't good enough at this level, especially lacking Championship level pace & creativity.
Just pragmatic for the moment, until the class midfield reinforcements arrive. I hope in January, rather than next Summer.

And yes, this has meant Paynter, an ideal target man, is now being asked to be a mobile centre midfielder, which he ain't.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't think CMS had his best game, but i'm gonna give him a 10. Simply because even after 92 minutes of running his socks off and getting beaten up by Wes Morgan he can still find the energy to roast a full back down the flank and drill a plum cross into the box. Incredible, just incredible!!!

Well noticed. Also got the ball right at the end (last 20 secs) and sprinted flat out into the corner with 2 Forest players hot on his heals. An amazing turn and run to help set up the goal as you say.

smelly

May 23, 2004

And then be last off the pitch after applauding fans on all sides. Legend in the making.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And then be last off the pitch after applauding fans on all sides. Legend in the making.

The guy has the potential to be an amazing acquisition, but we MUST find a target man and creative midfielder to support him. Otherwise the money we spent on him is largely wasted.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ankergren 7 - have people learnt nothing in 2 years? He's not going to launch it long so shut the f*** up and let him pass it out.
Reyes 8 - MOM for me, very very classy player.
Greer 7 - solid as usual.
Dunk 7 - ditto Greer.
Taricco 6 - pretty average game I thought, gave it away a few times. LOVED his celebration in the centre circle though, on his knees facing the West Stand.
Bridcutt 7 - tidy as usual sweeping up 2nd balls, don't remember him having it much otherwise
Navarro 7 - him having a run in the side has seen us win 4 from 5. Breaks up play well.
Barnes 6 - looked lost, unsure of his position, but still puts in a great shift. Want him back upfront so much it hurts.
Noone 6.5 - would've got an 8 for the first half, when he tormented their full back, but very anonymous second half.
Paynter 5 - does try, and being asked (like Barnes) to play a wider/deeper role, but never jumps for headers and first touch is shocking. Thought that was what he was got in for?
Mackail-Smith 6.5 - standard great shift but got dominated all game by their absolute unit of a CB.

LuaLua 7.5 - fantastic, I maintain he hasn't looked fit previously but made the full-back his bitch when he came on.
Buckley 7 - Mr Late Goal digs us out of a hole again. Direct running, just hope his hamstrings got through it ok!
Vincelot n/a - no real time to do much

Another interesting example how opinions differ depending on whether you are generally watching the match or focusing on specific players.

Yesterday Navarro (who I generally think is quite good) showed a bad technique with his first touch early on in the game right in front of me so I started to watch his first touch. Yesterday it was woeful. Loads of times he gave away possession because he had the touch of an elephant.

Then Paynter (who I generally think is poor) did something good early on in the game right in front of me. So I focused on his contribution and many times he impressed me in the first half. I agree he seemed to revert to type in the second half but I thought he was our best player in the first.

IMHO the marks for Navarro and Paynter should be reversed.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can only remember one bit of flapping by Ankergen, the other was a fantastic ball into the box which he did well to punch. I thought he did alright. Apart from the subs who did , I thought Dunk was superb, Reyes played well and CMS did the usual incredible effort

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here