Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Bournemouth

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren 6 - He needs to dominate his box alot better than he does, that flap in the second half was completely unneccessary and we got lucky it wasn't punished.
Calderon 6 - Why has he stopped attacking like he did last season? He was a vastly better player last season than he has been this.
Painter 6 - Mainly for the sheer stupidity of the shot in the first half, but he was his usual composed and consistent self, no complaints.
Elphick 7 - Very good in the air, nothing got past him on the ground and his distribution was good but went too sideways and backwards too often.
El-Abd 7 - Much the same as Elphick. No creative ideas at all with the ball at his feet though, which is why I still advocate bringing Greer in ahead of him.
Bennett 7 - Playing far too narrow and we're not seeing the best of him at the moment, plus he seems reluctant to shoot. I want to see him wider.
Dicker 7 - Quality on the ball, put in some good tackles and got into good positions, especially after we'd gone 1-0 up.
Kishishev 5 - His best game for us was the Aberdeen friendly, I've not been impressed with him since then. I think he's overrated and not needed in our side.
LuaLua 6 - I thought he was terrible today, kept falling over himself and wasn't effective as he usually is, but his goal was sheer brilliance, we're lucky to have him.
Barnes 6 - All endeavour and hardwork, no end product and his finishing needs alot of work, but he's got a sort of presence about him and will come good with time.
Murray 8 - Easily our best player on the day, why El-Abd keeps getting the political vote for MOM, Murray was our best player on the day but needs to be more selfish and spend more time in front of goal.

Bridcutt 6 - Very composed, confident on the ball and makes us play alot more than Kishishev does, we were more balanced with him in the midfield in my opinion.
Baz 6 - Would benefit from going out on loan I think, he looks like he's got something about him but he needs to be playing to get it out of him.

Very disappointed with the performance, we were too slow and too negative in my opinion. The only thing that annoyed me about all the negative passes was that we didn't need to do that today. We could have comfortably played 10 yards higher up the pitch and played more of the game in their half, rather than our own. Our patterns of play were just boring, at times, today. Posession is great, but we don't do anything with it. We're too cramped in the midfield in my opinion, Murray should be told to stay right up front, and one of the central midfielders should be pushing higher up the pitch to create more room for the holding midfielder and/or centre backs to play our posession football.
All that said, a 1-1 draw isn't a bad result against a team (somehow) 3rd in the league. Still top of the league, still unbeaten at home in the league, and still setting the standard.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Thought we were below par today against a team that offered little,and which should have been down to ten before the break.

Thought Elphick was good today,apart from being second to handle THAT ball,otherwise first all the time.Murray needs more support.We had a lot of the ball,but did little with it.

MOM was the Ref,10.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ankergren 6 - He needs to dominate his box alot better than he does, that flap in the second half was completely unneccessary and we got lucky it wasn't punished.
Calderon 6 - Why has he stopped attacking like he did last season? He was a vastly better player last season than he has been this.
Painter 6 - Mainly for the sheer stupidity of the shot in the first half, but he was his usual composed and consistent self, no complaints.
Elphick 7 - Very good in the air, nothing got past him on the ground and his distribution was good but went too sideways and backwards too often.
El-Abd 7 - Much the same as Elphick. No creative ideas at all with the ball at his feet though, which is why I still advocate bringing Greer in ahead of him.
Bennett 7 - Playing far too narrow and we're not seeing the best of him at the moment, plus he seems reluctant to shoot. I want to see him wider.
Dicker 7 - Quality on the ball, put in some good tackles and got into good positions, especially after we'd gone 1-0 up.
Kishishev 5 - His best game for us was the Aberdeen friendly, I've not been impressed with him since then. I think he's overrated and not needed in our side.
LuaLua 6 - I thought he was terrible today, kept falling over himself and wasn't effective as he usually is, but his goal was sheer brilliance, we're lucky to have him.
Barnes 6 - All endeavour and hardwork, no end product and his finishing needs alot of work, but he's got a sort of presence about him and will come good with time.
Murray 8 - Easily our best player on the day, why El-Abd keeps getting the political vote for MOM, Murray was our best player on the day but needs to be more selfish and spend more time in front of goal.

Bridcutt 6 - Very composed, confident on the ball and makes us play alot more than Kishishev does, we were more balanced with him in the midfield in my opinion.
Baz 6 - Would benefit from going out on loan I think, he looks like he's got something about him but he needs to be playing to get it out of him.

Very disappointed with the performance, we were too slow and too negative in my opinion. The only thing that annoyed me about all the negative passes was that we didn't need to do that today. We could have comfortably played 10 yards higher up the pitch and played more of the game in their half, rather than our own. Our patterns of play were just boring, at times, today. Posession is great, but we don't do anything with it. We're too cramped in the midfield in my opinion, Murray should be told to stay right up front, and one of the central midfielders should be pushing higher up the pitch to create more room for the holding midfielder and/or centre backs to play our posession football.
All that said, a 1-1 draw isn't a bad result against a team (somehow) 3rd in the league. Still top of the league, still unbeaten at home in the league, and still setting the standard.
Calderon 6?thought he was brilliant today:thumbsup:
Can't understand why everyone thought murray was superb today as looked average and didn't score either.:facepalm:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Only saw it on TV but agreed with the original poster from Borneo that Calderon and Kishishev were our best players today.

And fair play to Tommy for staying on his feet when he got elbowed. (Take note Adam, you're a good player but a terrible actor!)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ankergren 6
Calderon 8
Elphick 7
El Abd 7
Painter 6
Dicker 6
Kish 6
Bennett 6
Lualua 6
Barnes 4
Murray 7

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No scores but observations -

Ankergen - Shaky on cross's , nothing much else to do

Kishishev - Not a great game for him , ran out of steam, as soon as Bridcutt cam on we looked much more solid.

Barnes - Bad game from him compared to the last home game

Murray - Maybe my MOM

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Casper 6 had nothing to do but brave
Calde 7 did fine and plays like a captain
Painter 6 - did nothing wrong
Elphick 6 - was great until Fletcher came on and then struggled. Fletcher forced the handball out of elphick
El bad - Uneblievable.... must have been his brother playing last year. Today nothing special but the miracle is the slip ups and the clumsiness seem to have gone forever. - 7
Kish quite clearly a cut above but passes are other brilliant or giveaways -7
Dicker - ok . One great run that shouldve got us a goal - 6
Bennett - worked very hard, Great potential - 7
Lua Lua - saw his skill and his potential to frustarte his own supporters today. Great goal and some super runs but also first free kcik really poor and soemtimes made poor decisions - 7
Barnes - oh dear. You can see hes got great potential but the goal touch has deserted him. Looked like his confidence was low too - 5
Murray - HUGE! Looked dangerous the whole game. Deserved a goal - 8

Baz - I really like him. hes got real potential
Bridcutt - didnt get into the game

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Casper 7
Calderon 8
Painter 7
Elphick 8
El Abd 8.5 MOM
Kish 7
Dicker - 7.5
Bennett - 7
Lua Lua - 7
Barnes - 6
Murray - 8

Baz - 7
Bridcutt - 6

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ankergren 7 - brave to carry on
Calderon 8 - flair and class
El Abd 7 - solid
Elphick 6 - why go up with your hand in the first place?
Painter 6 - did his job
Kishishev 7 - did a good job in holding mid
Dicker 7 - some nice passes
Bennett 7 - worked hard
Barnes 6 - honest endeavour. If curling distance shot had gone in, everyone would have said he was brilliant. Not as bad as some make out.
Murray 7 - has a real touch of class about him. Reads game well and a threat.
Lua Lua 7 - sussed out in the first half but is always liable to change a game at any time. Great goal (and celebration).

Subs: Baz 5 & Bridcutt 5 (not really on long enough). Would like to see Jamie Smith back on the bench, does not deserve to be out of squad on early season performances. I agree with NE about Baz. Loan him out so we can see what he is all about.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Ankergren - 8 - anyone who plays on despite having broken a nose deserves an 8.
Calderon - 7 - had a shaky 10 minutes near the end, was superb otherwise though
El-abd - 8 - yep, outstanding again
Elphick - 7 - good game, shame he felt the need to stick his hands in the air, although the ref has shafted him
Painter - 7 - Bournmeouth simply couldn't get past him.
Bennett - 6 - some lively moments, but never really got going
Kishishev - 6 - not his greatest game on the ball. However, i'm rapidly beginning to think he's one of our most important players positionally. Every time he goes off we seem to lose all shape. Shame he's not younger.
Dicker - 7 - yeah, good game from him, lots of good passing. However, delayed playing Murray through in the second half which was a bit costly.
LuaLua - 7 - struggled a bit to get past the fullback. Was just a bit of an 'off day', the ball kept getting stuck in his feet. And then he pings one in from 20 yards. Too good for this league, and our season hinges on his loan deal.
Murray - 6 - didn't have a lot of service, but again won a shit load in the air.
Barnes - 4 - a bit of a shocker.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Why the low scores for El-Abd from some people? He was outstanding. There was one block in the 2nd half he made which saved us from a certain goal.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Well, I totally disagree with all of this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This is the least nervous I've been with Ankergren, and I think that is because he had nothing to deal with except the penalty.

Our defence has made such a turnaround on last year (at least the early part), and another solid performance stopping bournemouth having any shots on target.

I noticed that Calderon and Kishishev seem to have a good understanding several times working well when bournemouth were overlapping on the outside. Dicker had some good ball control (I loved watching him almost dance over two challenges in the centre circle and walk away with the ball).

Bennett has a lot of freedom, and has the work rate to warrant it, but he needs to be careful that h doesn't neglect the wings.

Lualua needs to release the ball quicker. He can often try to do too much, and must have had the wrong boots on the way he was slipping over. It wasn't his best game, and I feel he hasn't lived up to his mk dons performance, having said that, despite not doing much for most of he game, he does like to pop up with a goal or an assist.

I didn't think either of our forwards were up to much today, Murray seemed to struggle with his first touch a lot, particularly in the first half, he doesn't seem to be getting into the goal scoring positions he did in the first half, and can sometimes be so concerned with winning headers and flicking them on (which he does well) that he sometimes isn't overly aware that his flick on is going to no one. Barnes was largely anonymous, I think it's harsh on him to criticise not heading the chance he chested down, but he needs to not let pressure get to him, and not over-think things. I don't mean to be more harsh about one striker or the other, I thought both were ineffective today.

Why did we bring everyone back for corners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here