Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Ratings - Leeds

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't normally partake in this thread (though I read it). I don't like rating players individually, but I will make comments:

I thought the first ten minutes were all us. Which is good to see. Too often last year and early this season we have been low to start. Unfortunately they got into the game and settled and while we had some good possession and did make some good movements, I can't think of any shots on target, let alone any that troubled their keeper. They seemed to cut us open when ever they wanted, and had little trouble.

Smith - Didn't seem to do anything wrong per se, he just seemed to be out of his depth, like a kid playing with men.

Murray - seemed very Dickinson-esque. He got fouled a couple of times early and didn't get anything from the ref, so seemed to go down easy a lot as if making the foul more obvious would get the decision, didn't seem to try as hard as he has in the past couple of games, seemed to get frustrated and fouled players in the same way he was being fouled, but unlike the leeds players, he never got away with it. He seemed frustrated and like he didn't turn up. His selfishness led to the second goal - He kept going and tried to play through the defender instead of laying it off for Forster. Murray lost the ball (far too easily, as he frequently did today) it was played precisely up the other end and put past Smith.

Cox - again seemed to give up too easy, didn't seem to try for balls h could have made with a little effort. A couple of times he ran into space, and then when the ball didn't come to him he'd get frustrated and not make another run for a while. Didn't do anything to deserve the ovation when he got subbed.

Bennett - played too many aimless balls, too many random flick ons into space where we had no men. Seemed a little lightweight. Never stopped running though.

El Abd seemed to be out of position too much. I know left back isn't his natural position, but he has played there so much this season he shouldn't be drifting across to defend from the centre back position, especially when Elphick is already there marking the guy el abd thinks he is covering. I think El Abd is fortunate the goals didn't come from these errors. And he did chase back to defend from our attacks quite quickly and put his share of effort in.

The whole defence seemed to punt the ball aimlessly too much. Going forward we never seemed to have attacking options or movement. It seemed we were outnumbered and too compact - the flick ons and aimless hoofs often found spaces where there were no brighton players. We also seemed slower to react, like we wanted a few more minutes to judge distances and likelihood of reaching the ball before going for it.

I think this game will be good for us, long term, it gives Gus and the squad a reality check. It's not all changed simply because we have a new manager. The players will hopefully realise they really need to step up their game, gus will see some of the weaknesses in our team and where our guys need coaching, where they need motivating, reining in etc.

Of course, we should factor in this is our 3rd game in 7 days. Which is concerning because there isn't much respite in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like many clubs before them Leeds did their homework and moved Snodgrass over to the left to attack Whing, it worked.

Over 50% of Beckfords goals come as a result of a long punt from either the defence or midfield for him to chase for a one on one with the keeper. Why did we fall for it?

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
Cant be arsed to give individual ratings, no one would be above a 6 or below a 4, except for maybe Crofts, he put himself about and got stuck in, and seems to have a decent head on him he is getting better every game IMO.

Not the result i was hoping for, but their first goal was a good finish, and Beckford is a Twat but he can score and will if he gets any sort of space, we still defended a lot better today than we have been in recent weeks.

Hopefully we can get 3 points from either Norwich or Charlton, then after that we can look to push on with a run of very winable games. :ascarf:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I don't normally partake in this thread (though I read it). I don't like rating players individually, but I will make comments:

I thought the first ten minutes were all us. Which is good to see. Too often last year and early this season we have been low to start. Unfortunately they got into the game and settled and while we had some good possession and did make some good movements, I can't think of any shots on target, let alone any that troubled their keeper. They seemed to cut us open when ever they wanted, and had little trouble.

Smith - Didn't seem to do anything wrong per se, he just seemed to be out of his depth, like a kid playing with men.

Murray - seemed very Dickinson-esque. He got fouled a couple of times early and didn't get anything from the ref, so seemed to go down easy a lot as if making the foul more obvious would get the decision, didn't seem to try as hard as he has in the past couple of games, seemed to get frustrated and fouled players in the same way he was being fouled, but unlike the leeds players, he never got away with it. He seemed frustrated and like he didn't turn up. His selfishness led to the second goal - He kept going and tried to play through the defender instead of laying it off for Forster. Murray lost the ball (far too easily, as he frequently did today) it was played precisely up the other end and put past Smith.

Cox - again seemed to give up too easy, didn't seem to try for balls h could have made with a little effort. A couple of times he ran into space, and then when the ball didn't come to him he'd get frustrated and not make another run for a while. Didn't do anything to deserve the ovation when he got subbed.

Bennett - played too many aimless balls, too many random flick ons into space where we had no men. Seemed a little lightweight. Never stopped running though.

El Abd seemed to be out of position too much. I know left back isn't his natural position, but he has played there so much this season he shouldn't be drifting across to defend from the centre back position, especially when Elphick is already there marking the guy el abd thinks he is covering. I think El Abd is fortunate the goals didn't come from these errors. And he did chase back to defend from our attacks quite quickly and put his share of effort in.

The whole defence seemed to punt the ball aimlessly too much. Going forward we never seemed to have attacking options or movement. It seemed we were outnumbered and too compact - the flick ons and aimless hoofs often found spaces where there were no brighton players. We also seemed slower to react, like we wanted a few more minutes to judge distances and likelihood of reaching the ball before going for it.

I think this game will be good for us, long term, it gives Gus and the squad a reality check. It's not all changed simply because we have a new manager. The players will hopefully realise they really need to step up their game, gus will see some of the weaknesses in our team and where our guys need coaching, where they need motivating, reining in etc.

Of course, we should factor in this is our 3rd game in 7 days. Which is concerning because there isn't much respite in the next couple of weeks.

Only a week ago you said Smith should play in front of FDM - have you changed your mind ??????????

Got to say I don't really recall who it was, I just presumed it was Elphick or Tunnicliffe because of the position Beckford was in (ie dead centre).

What I do know though is that the second goal today was right up there with all the PATHETIC defensive cock-ups we've made in recent weeks. We were actually on the attack and in a good position, yet 5 seconds and 1 hoof upfield later our defence has parted like a slag's legs and the ball is in our net. Truly abysmal defending and why that whole back four has got to go.

It was an incisive move and it is where I'd like us to be in about a year's time, Whing got caught out of position but he should have had Elphick or Tunnicliffe to help cover him.
Not sure if the back four has to go, don't be so rash, give Poyet and Taricco a bit of time to try and get the team playing as a unit again. It was against a very good Leeds side after all.
I spoke to a Leeds fan after the game and he said that was the best they had played for a long time.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Looked that way to me too from the family stand.

I love his graft but to be honest (as said earlier) struggles big time against better players.

Agree would like a second look at the first as well didn't think he got close enough to their bloke in time. Looked off the pace today and think Hoyte will come straight back in on Tuesday night which in turn releases Bennett more

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I thought the second goal was more down to half the defence (Tunnicliffe and Whing) moving up whilst the other side (Elphick and El-Abd) did not, they certainly weren't in line and I'm pretty positive it was Elphick playing him onside. Beckford just placed himself in an ideal position to take advantage of it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Only a week ago you said Smith should play in front of FDM - have you changed your mind ??????????

No.

A week ago I said I preferred 100% fit smith in a game we're expecting to lose anyway over an 80% fit kuipers risking further injury that could lead to him being out longer than necessary.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be fair I didn't think we played TOO badly, just completely outclassed by what is going to be a championship team next season

PrestGull

Oct 18, 2003
According to a chap on the bus he was sat next to FDM who said he is out for 3 weeks.

Oh dear that scares me. Smith is so poor. Defenders heading for him in his six yard box off a corner was the last straw for me. If your keeper is crap it infests through the team. Leeds best team I have seen by a country mile. A game to forget

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that Smith is bad but he needs to work and communicate with his defenders.
Having said that I thought that the back four in general were poor. Whing allowed Snodgrass much to much room. Tunnicliffe made far to many errors and poor headers which had no direction. Elphick was ok and El Abd was probably the pick of the back four.

The midfield was overun today and everytime one of them had the ball the Leeds players were immediately snapping at their feet giving them no time.

Forster and Murray were well shackled by the Leeds central defenders and the No 17 spent the afternoon climbing all over Murray for which he received no protection from the ref.

Just a bad day that they will have to overcome very quickly.

We had nobody on the bench to bring on to revitalise the team.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think today also showed that if we are to mount any sort of promotion push, be it this season or certainly next, the board ( Blooms) are going to have to fund it.

Today just showed what it takes to get out of this division.....a strong and tall back four, energetic and skillfull midfield and strikers of undoubted quality.

We were trying to think of any of our players who would get into that Leeds team and on todays showing, none of them.

I don't think we will go down this year, however, I do not think we have the quality to be any more than mid table...Poyet or not.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Jocko - 4 - uninspriring rubbish, as usual
Whing - 3 - hopeless
Elphick - 4 - out of his depth
Tunnicliffe - 4 - ditto
El-abd - 5 - our best defender, says it all
Bennett - 2 - a shocker
Crofts - 6 - only one worth marking really
Dicker - 0 - total shithouse
cox - 2 - rubbish
Forster - 2 - whinging, diving cheat
Murray - 4 - needs to be a lot stronger than that if he's going to get a transfer

Fatty McLard - 0 - shit
Barndoor Davies - 0 - shit

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Jocko - 4 - uninspriring rubbish, as usual
Whing - 3 - hopeless
Elphick - 4 - out of his depth
Tunnicliffe - 4 - ditto
El-abd - 5 - our best defender, says it all
Bennett - 2 - a shocker
Crofts - 6 - only one worth marking really
Dicker - 0 - total shithouse
cox - 2 - rubbish
Forster - 2 - whinging, diving cheat
Murray - 4 - needs to be a lot stronger than that if he's going to get a transfer

Fatty McLard - 0 - shit
Barndoor Davies - 0 - shit

Shut up, you're full of shit. I'd say Whingy was our best player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here