Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player Rating Thread

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
A piss-poor defensive display that exposed a nervous keeper who had little or no chance to keep out the goals. Elf-dick was abysmal and offered little in the way of inspiration or substance in his play. His marking was up to its usual standard!. El-Abd was pulled accross to the centre too often and he failed to close down the attacker when it really counted. Tunny had an average game and only Hoyte gave a good account of himself for the defense.

Bennett and Dicker were immense. Davies and Crofts were almost anonymous.

Nicky was our saviour but maybe should have been subbed for OGH at 70 minutes when fresh attacking legs were needed. Dickinson fell over less but despite his goal, his finishing was poor.

Coxy didn't really have time to make an impact although he did liven things up on the left going forward where we were non-existent in the first half.

Virgo simply replaced Elf-dick and continued with his match tradition of hoofing the ball to nobody.

Verdict: Someone needs to grant us three wishes!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Totted up all the ratings awarded thus far and here's how NSC saw the game:

Forster, 7.4
Dickinson, 7.3
Dicker, 7
Crofts, 6.3
Bennett, 6.3
Davies, 6.2
Cox, 5.9
Smith, 5.5
Virgo, 5.5
El Abd, 5.3
Hoyte, 5.2
Elphick, 4.4
Tunnicliffe, 4.2

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Smith - 3 - didn't inspire
Hoyte - 6 - decent enough
Tunnicliffe - 4 - shit
Elphick - 0 - hopelessly, spectacularly shit. Needs time out of the side to sort himself out
El-abd - 7 - our best performer in defence, by far.
Bennett - 8 - So, so SO much better than anyone else on the park.
Dicker - 7 - kept the ball well, tidy.
Crofts - 6 - a quiet game for him
Davies - 5 - poor
Dickinson - 7 - looked lively, missed a sitter though. Was he celebrating in front of the fans?
Forster - 8 - well taken goals

Virgo - 7 - fair play to the bloke, actually looked decent enough
Cox - 5 - didnt do anything either

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Smith - Some worrying moments, didn't look settled and failed to command his area, he could have cut out alot of the danger but chose not to leave his goal line, some poor kicks and doesn't look like a good shot stopper. Also why did he go to ground long before the Hartlepool player even shot for one of their goals? didn't inspire confidence - I'm hoping it was just nerves and when he plays again I hope he settles down and improves 5/10

El-Abd - I don't get why El-Abd gets so much stick, he played well today, he tried to get forward and support the attacks and is fairly solid in defense, at least he got some support / cover from the player ahead of him this time, unlike the Oldham game. He made some good blocks today, he did welll at defending set pieces, clearing alot from the danger area, seems to me some are just anti him however he plays (and some critise him without even seeing his performance) 6/10

Elphick - Poor moments by his standards, I think he needs an experienced pro next to him, someone who is a leader and able to organise the defense - 4.5 / 10

Tunnicliffe - at fault for the first goal? - improved as the game went on, hopefully if we can get a consistant defensive line up rather than the constant chopping and changing we have at the moment, the whole defensive unit will improve - 5/10

Hoyte - fairly solid if unspectacular defender - 6/10

Bennett - Class performance today, execllent crosses, especially first half, looked a real threat throughout - 8.5/10

Dicker - Played well today, some seem obsessed that every pass by a player has to be perfect, when even the top players are unable to do this - 8.5/10

Crofts - Solid if unspectacular performance, Dicker and Croft look like the best central midfield pairing we have had for a long time - 7 / 10

Davis - Some good moments but faded as the game went on, gave the midfield better balance than the Oldham game - 6/10

Dickinson - His best game so far, covered alot of ground, battled all over the pitch, it looked like the goal had given him alot of confidence to shoot again, last week he looked to cross when well placed, but seemed more willing to try his luck this time around, some early chances he might have done better with (2 headers from set pieces and the chance where the keeper got back really well when Dickinson tried to roll it in after a cross from the by line - 8.5/10

Forster - worked hard and rewarded by getting on the score sheet, 8.5/10

Virgo - a stopper but he doesn't look to try to keep possession, rather he just hoofs it away 5/10

Cox - 6/10

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Anyone who gave El Abd less than 6 must have an ulterior motive. Apart from the misjudgement for the 3 goal he didn't put a foot wrong. I swear some posters on this thread either weren't there, or had decided their ratings on the way to the game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Totted up all the ratings awarded thus far and here's how NSC saw the game:

Forster, 7.4
Dickinson, 7.3
Dicker, 7
Crofts, 6.3
Bennett, 6.3
Davies, 6.2
Cox, 5.9
Smith, 5.5
Virgo, 5.5
El Abd, 5.3
Hoyte, 5.2
Elphick, 4.4
Tunnicliffe, 4.2

How ridiculous is that? We gave away 3 goals, and nearly lost to a very average League 1 side at home... and the average player rating it 5.9 ??

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Some much more interesting stats in that list:

Crofts and Bennett with the same average?

Davies (who was pretty invisible) just 0.1 points behind Dicker?

Interesting that Hoyte barely scrapes a 5

Tunni below Elphick but Tommy getting abuse in is very own threads

NSC finally recognising Dickinson (or Liam finally coming good for 90 minutes).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone who gave El Abd less than 6 must have an ulterior motive.

I can assure you I have no ulterior motive. I actually awarded him 5 as he was no worse than Tunnicliffe or Hoyte (5 also).

All the goals came from his side of the pitch.

We have conceded 3 goals at home to a very ordinary team. Reading the posts on here, I think its common concensus that ALL the defence were poor, but Elphick just absolutely dreadful and that is what I have reflected....

I'm really hacked off, as it has been like this all season, any sort of movement by forwards and our central defenders are all over the place. Someone, somewhere is not coaching properly and should be moved on....

That is all......

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
or had decided their ratings on the way to the game.

I've always thought that. El Abd is definitely one of those who some always mark down. (Sometimes he deserves it but not every game!)

I'm also sure that if FDM had his best ever game for us, made a load of world-class saves and never put wrong, some would still write:

Kuipers 6 - Distribution poor.

I'm sure that once some have got it in for a player they simply can't bring themselves to acknowledge a good game, and when that player has a bad one, they can't wait to stick the knife in.

Strange sort of support.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Smith 5 - Incredibly Kuipers is better at kicking. Could have reacted for first goal.

He does look a bit suspect on crosses, and still worries me a bit with his shot stopping and decision making. However to say his kicking is as bad as Kuipers is absurd. There was that one that he sliced horribly in the second half and one that went straight out of play almost immediately after. But the rest if his kicks were straight and true. Nearly all of them went straight to Dickinson, who as a result won more headers than he has in the rest of the season combined. There was also a throw out in the first half to Davies (I think) that was to the half way line and put us on the attack immediately. His distribution revealed that Kuipers despite improving down the years is still far behind what should be expected of a professional goalkeeper.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Smith - 5 - Very Average, Exposed By Defence.
Hoyte - 6 - OK
Tunnicliffe - 4 - Poor
Elphick - 2 - Oh Dear, Needs A Rest In The Reserves.
El-abd - 5 - Not A Left Back, Gets Sucked Into The Centre To Often Which Caused Confusion With Elphick And Gifted Hartlepool Space Down Their Right.
Bennett - 8 - Supplied Some Great Deliveries In The First Half, Involved In All The Good Things We Did.
Dicker - 8 - Collected the Ball In Deep Positions And Looked To Get Us Moving
Crofts - 5 - Quiet, Did Not Fall Back Enough With Dicker to Close the Gap Between Midfield and Defence Which Hartlepools Expoited
Davies - 4 - Send Him Back, Terrible First Half Miss Saved By Fosrter Scoring.
Dickinson - 6.5 - Very Poor Until Ref Had a Word With Him After Challenge in Front of North Stand Then Seemed to Put in Some Effort and Looked a Threat.
Forster - 8 - 2 Goals from the 36 Year Old, Puts Some of the Others to Shame

Virgo - 6 - Improvement on Elphick, Was Closer to Uniteds Strikers and Did Not Muck About
Cox - 5 - Needs to Cross The Ball Rather Than Trying To Shoot All The Time

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Smith - 5 Couldn't do anything about any of the goals but doesn't inspire confidence does he? Took up a couple of poor positions which could have led to goals a la Stockport.

Hoyte - 6 Solid when attacks came down the right but at times was dragged into the chaos in the middle.
Elphick/Tunnicliffe - Both pretty useless
El-Abd - Rubbish but who else could have gone there?

Bennett - 8 just superb. Won't be here too long if we're struggling.
Dicker - 9 The heartbeat of our side, always available for a pass, and always makes the right passes himself. Excellent.
Crofts - 6 typical Crofts performance, did a lot of cleaning up that goes unnoticed by a lot of people, nothing spectacular.
Davies - 3 utter rubbish, can we send him and Thornhill back please?

Forster - 9 Predatory in the box, and probably his best performance of the season outside of it, just a shame he was having to do it all himself.
Dickinson - 5 Between the goal and half time was the best he's looked for us by miles, just a shame about the missed sitters, the goal was an accident, and second half he reverted to type.

Virgo - 7 More commanding than Elphick, should have come on at half time for the team's sake and Tommy's.
Cox - 7 Should also have come on at half time, our most underrated player, puts the others who've played instead of him to shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here