Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player of the Season

SEAGULLS TILL I DIE

Jan 6, 2008
should of been bennett to be honest!
i always think it should be the most valuable player to the team who has the most influence!
we have greer, el abd and elphick all doing well, but we only have one bennett! this is also arguable for murray!

A sad day for football when the player with the biggest heart and the least footballing ability wins such an award. Hopefully he will acknowledge Greer's part in his success.

A competent player alongside him and he's great.
I imagine most of us would struggle if we had to take on more pressure and responsibility than our job normally warranted for one person.
The same goes for Murray, and Bennett, and Lua Lua, and...basically, anyone allowed to focus on their own job is going to enjoy freedom to express their abilities better.
The Gus effect, in my opinion, has been to compliment all the squad with each other - and it'll only get better.

No weak spots in the squad and every single member can play their own game - el-Abd has been exposed by a missing midfield, poor passing and/or understanding with those around him. You'll see Greer really complaining if he has to come across and help with AeA's position, but you very-rarely saw el-Abd having a wobbly - and he has had WAY more reason to in the past.

His style of play draws opposing players into all kinds of struggles and tempers, destroys their focus and game plan.

That's why Gus Poyet appreciated him from the first place - and that it turn has given him more confidence. He is also an excellent midfield player, and might still become captain again.

DESERVED player of the season, congrats to Adam.

Brilliant. Well done Adam. Amazing in a team full of international flair, a Brighton boy shines through.

Not quite a case of "zero to hero" but jolly well done all the same, home grown talent shines through! El Add for Egypt!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I voted for Murray but I'm really chuffed for Adam and wouldn't begrudge him a well deserved award after the slating he has taken over the years. Not only a genuine player but a talented one.
Although I do still have reservations about his size making him vulnerable at the next level, he has earned player of the season based on his consistent performances this year.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i didnt vote but i think i would have voted for murray. although i think el abd and bennett have been amazing i just think with murray not in the side we struggle. look at bournemouth away , colchester away and look at how the game changed when he went off against southampton last week. he holds the ball up so well and defends well too. i feel we are half the team without him in it. we really could do with him signing this contract or wed probably have to splash out 2 mill to get 2 quality strikers in then. also his goals , 22 is great but how many penalties have we had this year ? 15 at a guess. how many has he won ? over half? what if he could take them hed be on over 30 goals this season and well ahead of CMS in the scoring table . how much is CMS worth 2 or 3 million . its very important we keep hold of murrayin my opinion

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If thats true then Brilliant our goal difference shows how good our defence is ,and it apears that when El-Abd dont play we dont win

We've lost 9 games this season, Adam El Abd played in 7 of them.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For me:
Best player in the squad: Bennett
Player who has had his best ever season for us: Murray
Player who has improved the most and surprised everyone: El Abd

So, happy for Adam to win it, congrats to him. He's come a long way since calling the South stand a bunch of wankers!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I may be wrong but did BZ fail to win PoS when we won the league under Peter Taylor?

Now you say that it rings a bell. Cullip maybe?

I think people have been swayed by how much El Abd has improved. He has come on leaps and bounds. But he hasn't been our best player this season. Top five DEFO. Behind Bennett and Murray? Defo.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Now you say that it rings a bell. Cullip maybe?

I think people have been swayed by how much El Abd has improved. He has come on leaps and bounds. But he hasn't been our best player this season. Top five DEFO. Behind Bennett and Murray? Defo.

I think you may be right about DC.

I do think Adam has had a good season, but a little worried about his aerial prowess. If you look at the chances Saints had last week on Seagulls World a good few of them came when Adam was outjumped or out of position.

Having said that, a good case could be made for 7 or 8 players this season.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sadly, I think Adam may find it harder to nail down a place a league up. Better near post defender than Greer, but I can see Poyet signing at least one top quality centre half. We seriously lack pace at the back, which is more likely to be exploited a division up.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
A well deserved award. Although he does not stand out by scoring goals he is quietly effective and is the first to throw himself in front of the ball when needed. He is also the most talented player for winding up the opposition without getting admonished himself.
Hopefully his award will be presented during the after match celebrations rather than squeezed in between the end of the warm up and the start of the match.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Player of the season isn't just about who's been the flashiest performer or scored the most goals, it's also about attitude. As well as turning in a few MoM performances, all season long El Abd has shown a spirit, effort and determination which seems to rub off on the other players around him - and was visibly missing in the first half at Colchester. For that he deserves player of the season IMHO

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'd like to see the stats with and without Greer. Especially clean sheets.

According to my records:

With Greer
played 32
Win 22 - 68.75%
Draw 5 - 15.63%
Loss 5 - 15.63%
For 67
Against 28
Clean Sheets 18
League Win 19
League Draw 5
League Loss 4
Points 62 (out of 84) 73.81%

Without Greer
Played 20
Win 9 - 45.00%
Draw 7 - 35.00%
Loss 4 - 20.00%
For 28
Against 21
Clean sheets 5
League Win 8
League Draw 5
League Loss 2
Points 29 (out of 45) 64.44%

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
You must be joking, his beeen class this season. Forwards win you games defenders win you championships!

So are you suggesting when we won back to back titles it was won by our defence, and not by zamora? but i thought we were a one-man team then? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here