Votes: 37 26.6%
  • Glenn Murray

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This is for player of the season not the last 3 months, if that was the case I would agree with you but as it is for a longer period I will vote for Crofts.

Unfortunately there is a distinct possibility that we could finish up with another Whing scenario when fans were duped to vote for performances over a very short period.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Calderon for. Yes he is a very exciting right back, but lets be honest he is our flair player and possibly falls into the Glenn Johnson school of being a fullback. e.g can do the job but is better going forward than he is at defending.

I think we have overlooked Painter massively. He arrived about the same time as Calderon and thanks to the pair of them our defence and goal keeper unit has looked a lot more dependable. Also when Painter was out we lost 2 and drew 1. Without him we don't seem to have the shape at the back.

With him since Feb 23rd Vs Charlton Pl 10, W7 D2 L1

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Sir Andrew of Crofts. His energy and work-rate is priceless, has kept improving with every game for us, and has been a pretty fine box-to-box midfielder for us in recent months.

But yeh, there have been several threads on this recently.

What you said, sir. Consistently good all season, but really came of age in the Southampton away game.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Interesting nobody has gone for Elphick, probably for his god-awful first half of the season but I think he has been awesome the second half. Easily our best defender.

I would vote Elphick but Elliot Bennet has been straight out an excellent player throughout the season, In one of the games with slade as manager he was the most threatening player on the pitch

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Interesting nobody has gone for Elphick, probably for his god-awful first half of the season but I think he has been awesome the second half. Easily our best defender.

Certainly should have been man of the match yesterday, or El Abd, but I guess we're looking at the whole season. El Abd is certainly worth a shout as well. When we were going through the bad spell just after Gus took over, he was about the only decent player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As long as a player makes the minimum number of appearances, he is a valid choice.

Until the last two months the team hadn't ventured above 15th in the table. If the addition of someone in that time (or shortly before) has turned us from a team hovering above/in the relegation zone to a team with promotion chasing form, they deserve recognition for what they have brought to the team.

If you feel that the addition of, say Calderon, improved the team and led to us moving up the table and to safety weeks before the end of the season, that is a major contribution and deserves recognition and he has every right to win the thing.

If you feel the addition of Brezovan, a keeper that comes for crosses, whose 8 clean sheets in 19 games, and a goals per game ratio of less than one, is the reason for the solid defence, the bedrock of a solid team, then feel free to vote for him.

LuaLua's pace and left-footedness gave the team balance, and energy and this has been the biggest difference from the first 31 games of the season, and for that reason, he is worthy of your vote, give it to him.

I get that the brezovan argument won't sit well with a lot of people, but the general, recurring themes of the argument - the team was failing to get the results that would give us survival until the last couple of months and the people responsible for that turn around are worthy of the player of the season award even if they weren't here at the start of the season - hold true in general.

To suggest players shouldn't be given the award because they've only been good in the last couple of months is churlish and narrow-minded.

The player of the season isn't just about who has performed best (which as we've seen isn't always something that is about how well they played, with particular posters overrating the performances of their favourite players and underrating the performances of players they don't particularly support) it is also about how many great performances they put in (either a simple X good performances or y% of their performances were great) but also what those performances contributed to the team and the campaign this season. And those that have been here the least amount of time may well have contributed more than those who have been here longer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Changed your mind on the back of ONE game?

No not just on the back of one game.

2 months ago i would only have voted for Crofts, but with Bennett playing so well on saturday it made me think and over the 44 games so far Bennett has probably been our best performer on more occasions than any other player.

Does anyone know which player has won the most MOTM awards this season?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No not just on the back of one game.

2 months ago i would only have voted for Crofts, but with Bennett playing so well on saturday it made me think and over the 44 games so far Bennett has probably been our best performer on more occasions than any other player.

Does anyone know which player has won the most MOTM awards this season?

MoM counts for sod all in the great scheme of things - you're talking about a sponsor's opinion, not a hard and fast fact. And you can see f*** all from the North Stand anyway.

If there was a vote on MoM for Saturday, I don't suppose many would have given it to Bennett - some, possibly - but he wouldn't have been the winner. Elphick/El-Abd and Barnes seemed to be the names most mentioned in the post-match, mid-street kickabout outside The Basketmakers. Opinions, isn't it?

But that's not my point - you said 'last week it was Crofts, now it's Bennett'. So what changed your mind?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
MoM counts for sod all in the great scheme of things - you're talking about a sponsor's opinion, not a hard and fast fact. And you can see f*** all from the North Stand anyway.

If there was a vote on MoM for Saturday, I don't suppose many would have given it to Bennett - some, possibly - but he wouldn't have been the winner. Elphick/El-Abd and Barnes seemed to be the names most mentioned in the post-match, mid-street kickabout outside The Basketmakers. Opinions, isn't it?

But that's not my point - you said 'last week it was Crofts, now it's Bennett'. So what changed your mind?

I've thought about it more. Early in the season Crofts was our standout player, then Dicker was playing and started to shine.
Throughout the whole season only 2 players have played well consistently, Crofts and Bennett, and of the two Crofts has had more 6 or 7 performances than Bennett. Bennett seems to have had a lot more 8's but also a few more 5's than Crofts but although both have had good seasons I have left more matches talking about Bennett's performance than I have Crofts.
So for me having now spent some time thinking about it I conclude Bennett is my Player of the Season

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Or they're talking about the opinion of the co-commentator, often someone with playing experience who picks up on things us mere mortals don't. Or sports journalists who make a career out of commenting on football performances. Or TV pundits who are frequently both ex-players, and well versed in commenting on players performances.

Depending on which person's man of the match performance you listen to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or they're talking about the opinion of the co-commentator, often someone with playing experience who picks up on things us mere mortals don't. Or sports journalists who make a career out of commenting on football performances. Or TV pundits who are frequently both ex-players, and well versed in commenting on players performances.

Depending on which person's man of the match performance you listen to.

The one that's announced by the sponsors... :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here