Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini the idiot

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But there have ALWAYS been foreigners in English teams! When Liverpool won the FA Cup in 1985 (or 86, or 84, can't rememeber the exact year), they did what Arsenal are often criticised for doing and they had NO English players in the starting eleven; and going back to when football first started several English clubs had teams that were comprised entirely of foreigners. Admittedly in the old days the 'foreigners' were Scots, Welsh and Irish but the principle is the same.

Maybe that's why we've always underachieved at international level?

PS - Apart from that, and despite his known anti-English sentiment, I broadly agree with Platini. Football clubs have to live within their means - from Leeds to Lewes.

But there have ALWAYS been foreigners in English teams! When Liverpool won the FA Cup in 1985 (or 86, or 84, can't rememeber the exact year), they did what Arsenal are often criticised for doing and they had NO English players in the starting eleven; and going back to when football first started several English clubs had teams that were comprised entirely of foreigners. Admittedly in the old days the 'foreigners' were Scots, Welsh and Irish but the principle is the same.

Maybe that's why we've always underachieved at international level?

PS - Apart from that, and despite his known anti-English sentiment, I broadly agree with Platini. Football clubs have to live within their means - from Leeds to Lewes.

I would refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier post, which specifically talks about English and non-English players...

Not at the end of the season before last they didn't (I can't find any more recent numbers).
BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | England player numbers at new low

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Why the hell does he always talk about how the English teams spend to much ect, and I've NEVER heard him say anything to the likes of Real Madrid who spent 80M on one player?? :rant::wanker:

i take it you read the newspapers from all across europe then? for all you know, he could be all over the italian papers having a pop, for example, at roma's borrowings and wages?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Maybe it's because most of the best French players are with English teams ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Why the hell does he always talk about how the English teams spend to much ect, and I've NEVER heard him say anything to the likes of Real Madrid who spent 80M on one player?? :rant::wanker:

Have to say I don't like him for the same reasons, imho he's rabidly anti-English football, at both club and international level. Italian, German and Spanish football associations all seem utterly immune from criticism compared to the broadsides he continually fires in our direction.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
UEFA president Michel Platini has launched a scathing attack on Real Madrid.

Real have splashed out close to £200million to sign Raul Albiol, Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema this summer and Platini is worried by their lavish attitude to spending.

"I am concerned by the inflation and it upsets me," he said. "I do not understand such policies at certain clubs. I find it hard to accept the idea that some people are ready to spend without counting, when they don't have the money to do so

"Obviously, I'm referring to Real Madrid."

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Michel Platini Slams Real Madrid's 'Excessive' Pursuit Of Cristiano Ronaldo - Goal.com
Exclusive: Michel Platini Questions Real Madrid Transfer Policy - Goal.com

If people actually paid attention to what Platini said, rather than what the xenophobic right wing press think he says, they would realise he talks a lot of sense, and his views would fit in with what many people complain about on here with regards to the Premier League. The things he says are particularly meaningful to English clubs because they are generally the worst run!

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Michel Platini Slams Real Madrid's 'Excessive' Pursuit Of Cristiano Ronaldo - Goal.com
Exclusive: Michel Platini Questions Real Madrid Transfer Policy - Goal.com

If people actually paid attention to what Platini said, rather than what the xenophobic right wing press think he says, they would realise he talks a lot of sense, and his views would fit in with what many people complain about on here with regards to the Premier League. The things he says are particularly meaningful to English clubs because they are generally the worst run!

Precisely. The man talks sense. As someone else said the money in the English game is spread disproportionately between teams and it is detrimental to clubs like ourselves as the rich get richer and the gap between top clubs and lower clubs gets bigger. As Brighton fans people should be happy with what Platini is saying.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Precisely. The man talks sense. As someone else said the money in the English game is spread disproportionately between teams and it is detrimental to clubs like ourselves as the rich get richer and the gap between top clubs and lower clubs gets bigger. As Brighton fans people should be happy with what Platini is saying.

too right. generally speaking, he's on OUR side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here