Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini the idiot

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why the hell does he always talk about how the English teams spend to much ect, and I've NEVER heard him say anything to the likes of Real Madrid who spent 80M on one player?? :rant::wanker:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Probably because in England we have teams in the third division spending more money than teams in La Liga. Plus we have every team in the Premiership spending way more than they have, look at Stoke, was it £14M yesterday? I would imagine the Championship in this country spends more money than La Liga. The point he is trying to make is that in England there is a disproportionate amount of money being spent, in relation to the teams spending it. Teams that play in grounds that are only half full unless United are there, are spending millions on players, Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan. It is going to be scary if/when the bubble bursts.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Because the english teams pay for their own stadiums and so are in debt, whereas the local governments/councils help fund stadium for spanish and french teams, so they aren't in debt, despite the spending.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It will never happen, in three years teams in a loss will not be able to play in Europe?

So that will be Chelsea, Man Utd, Real Madrid...All running at the moment with debt and therefore at a loss.....He needs these type of clubs in it!

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Platini just dislikes English clubs - whether the excessive spending is right or not he just wants to stop English clubs and the national team being sucessful and at the moment he can do it by saying the spending is wrong. What he forgets is the spending is driven by the money coming into the product from firms like SKY who sell the premiership all over the world and promote football (as wellas making lots of people rich).

Me I watch the Albion and Hastings United.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Platini just dislikes English clubs - t he just wants to stop English clubs and the national team being sucessful and at the moment he can do it by saying the spending is wrong.

It's English clubs that are hampering our chances of the national team being successful because of the amount they're spending on foreign players I'd have thought.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's English clubs that are hampering our chances of the national team being successful because of the amount they're spending on foreign players I'd have thought.

I don't think their spending is hampering the england team as much as their buying foreign players instead of developing english players. Slight distinction, I know, but hull could spend 80m on ronaldo, and still have a bunch of english players in their team, while arsenal could spend 50m on 8 foreign players and fill the team with none english.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nonsense, foreign clubs have just as many players from abroad as we do.

I don't think their spending is hampering the england team as much as their buying foreign players instead of developing english players. Slight distinction, I know, but hull could spend 80m on ronaldo, and still have a bunch of english players in their team, while arsenal could spend 50m on 8 foreign players and fill the team with none english.

I agree. The BBC website did an interesting piece a while ago looking at the number of foreigners in the last season of the old First Division compared to in this Premiership season. I don't have a problem with foreigners coming in and raising the standards of our game (e.g. Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Zola), but the constant stream of average foreigners does my head in.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Has anyone noticed how the big, flair european players are staying abroad now, High earners tax?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I agree. The BBC website did an interesting piece a while ago looking at the number of foreigners in the last season of the old First Division compared to in this Premiership season. I don't have a problem with foreigners coming in and raising the standards of our game (e.g. Ronaldo, Bergkamp, Zola), but the constant stream of average foreigners does my head in.

True, but managers find cheap imports because the home grown talent is gets overpriced.

Wenger is good at unearthing gems, but there are a lot of mediocre imports in the league because they are cheap and worth a punt

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nonsense, foreign clubs have just as many players from abroad as we do.

Yeah but they are foreign nationals playing top class football abroad which HELPS their National team. I'd agree it was nonsense if a host of English players were playing top level football abroad, perhaps you'd like to name them for me???

I may be wrong, as I am no top level football expert, but it seems we have less English players in the Premier League (especially in the top 4) year on year which has to be bad for the National team. Thank God for Harry Redknap

In conclusion it is YOU who are talking nonsense :lolol:

Attachments

• _44692280_english_non-english.gif
    _44692280_english_non-english.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 194

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy

Exactly. Why can't we go back to the days when we had fewer foreign players and the England team were really successful? Oh ... hang on!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. Why can't we go back to the days when we had fewer foreign players and the England team were really successful? Oh ... hang on!

Foreign coaches with England players is the way forward :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Exactly. You know what I entered a fantasy football team, all but ONE player was british/irish.

Why? Because I had never heard of any of these foreigners, I dunno whether they are good, bad, injury prone etc etc. So I stuck with what I know...and had Zamora and McShane to boot :thumbsup:

What was it on that Liverpool/Villa thread where Badger listed these names of Liverpool players that I never even f***ing heard of where he was highlighting average foreigners.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its actually a problem that does need addressing. the main concern is that the way many european clubs are funded, ie by massive private donations rather than a chairman buying out another and putting thier cash in, will work against us. i recall that Real Madrid has a open-end overdraft with Santander which is written off every year (may not be completely true... anyone know?).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here