Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Platini spot on

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Hardly ground-breaking, is it ?

"Suggestions that it would help break the monopoly of Champions League qualification among England's 'top four' appear unfounded, however, with one of Chelsea, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool winning all but two of the last 19 FA Cup competitions."

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The whole tournament is at odds with itself. For me it should the the Champions, and only the Champions of each league who enter, together with the current holders of the title. The rest should be in the UEFA cup/league thing.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I long for a day when Champions League actually means champions of that country after a season of 30+ games like it used to be. The only people who should be allowed to enter if not champions are the current holders to defend the title.

(Superphil got there first)

Money money money.

Cup winners should NOT be allowed. What 5 games to the Champions league and if the draw is in your favour all the way to wemberlee? No siree.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
These poofy modern day footballers moan about playing too much football, well, hello, solution, Champions League for Champions ONLY...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not necessarily - teams like Spurs, Everton etc would really concentrate efforts on the FA cup, and would be way more likely to spring an upset over one match than over a whole season.

And far from detracting from the Premierleague, it would spice it up - for the last few years Liverpool and the Arse have had a 3rd and 4th place comfort zone - now they'd be fighting for one spot.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
its be a shake up purely because its a different way of getting there...not necessarily for the teams that go...still the same lot....

As titanic said, when was the last time someone REAL won the FA Tin Pot?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I long for a day when Champions League actually means champions of that country after a season of 30+ games like it used to be. The only people who should be allowed to enter if not champions are the current holders to defend the title.

(Superphil got there first)

Money money money.

Cup winners should NOT be allowed. What 5 games to the Champions league and if the draw is in your favour all the way to wemberlee? No siree.

Sorry, but I don't. Call me an armchair fan if you like but I like to watch good football (I define good as being highly skilled) and the current champions league produces that consistently.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love the Champion's League as it is once it reaches the 2nd phase.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I love the Champion's League as it is once it reaches the 2nd phase.

Couldn't be something to do with the fact that:

Knockout stages = Excitement.

Any competition that allows a team to be beaten 3 nil HOME AND AWAY in the group stages and then go on to win the competition is SHITEHOUSE.

Thats what happened to Real Madrid they lost to Bayern a few years ago but still won the f***ing thing. Whats all that about?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm probably out of touch here as I don't follow much of the European cup football, but isn't the European Cup for the winners of the FA Cup? I know it used to be called the Cup Winners Cup, then it got renamed to the European Cup, didn't it?

Er,no!

There used to be 3 cups.

European Cup for the champions of each league
Cup Winners Cup for the domestic cup winners in each country
UEFA cup for those who came close in the league (not sure how the numbers were decided for how many from each country)

Since they changed it, the Cup Winners Cup disappeared and those who would have been in it now enter the UEFA cup. Most of those who used to be in the UEFA cup are now in the Champions League (European Cup) and some serious also-rans now make up the UEFA cup until half those who should be in it anyway get knocked out of the Champions League and, in turn, knock those originally in the UEFA cup out of that competition

You can also get into the UEFA cup via the Intertoto Cup, but there my interest / knowledge fails.....

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
To be honest, my interest in European Club Football faded away once they adopted the current format, at least the way it was run actually meant something, now it is just designed to bring more money to the bigger clubs...making them bigger and bigger.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
To be honest, my interest in European Club Football faded away once they adopted the current format, at least the way it was run actually meant something, now it is just designed to bring more money to the bigger clubs...making them bigger and bigger.

I used to enjoy the European cup years go, when I would support any British team from my armchair................nowadays there,s just as many British players playing for european teams as in an English premiership team.
Enjoyable as far as quality football goes..........but no passion in it for me.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Now there's a surprise. :tosser:

Good old G14 looking out for football, rather than being a self-absorbed monopoly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6993848.stm

Europe's most powerful clubs - the G14 - will not back Uefa president Michel Platini's plan to give domestic cup winners a Champions League place.

"We're opposed to giving cup winners a place in the Champions League," said G14's general manager Thomas Kurth.

"We're very concerned about the quality of the competition and the damage this could cause," added Kurth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here