Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

plastic bags

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is to bring us in line with the rest of the EU. For instance in the Irish Republic they have a bag tax equivalent to about 13p which has vastly reduced the number of plastic carrier bags being used only once. France Spain and Germany have done the same or are about to.

still doesnt address the question why? isnt there more important issues bureaucrats could be addressing? if we stopped using plastic bags and packaging altogether, what would happen to the stuff that used to make them?

I watched a rather interesting thingy on Ch4 last night about how the world would change if humans suddenly dissapeared.

It went in to 1 year, 5 years, 10, 20 etc right up to 100, 1000 & 10,000. Don't recall plastic bags being mentioned.
On the basis that humanity WILL eventually become extinct (like every other dominant creature in the history of the earth), it doesn't actually matter what the consequences are.

In ten million years time, life on earth will be (a) different; and (b) thriving.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Plastic bags are virtually non-existant here - they cost 22 cent in shops (tax), some shops charge more than that to pay for the bag. Most people use the bag-for-life things or just carry stuff.

I'm shocked every time I'm in NI, get one single item in a shop and get it thrown in a plastic bag. Even worse is getting the tiny little bags for stuff like CDs and DVDs - you cant even re-use them as bin bags.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely disposable nappies must be as big an issue?

I don't know how many of the things your average infant gets through in a day, but whatever it is, multiply that figure by the number of babies in the world, and that must be one bloody massive, non-biodegradable pile of plastic and poop, festering away for the next thousand years.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Plastic bags are virtually non-existant here - they cost 22 cent in shops (tax), some shops charge more than that to pay for the bag. Most people use the bag-for-life things or just carry stuff.

I'm shocked every time I'm in NI, get one single item in a shop and get it thrown in a plastic bag. Even worse is getting the tiny little bags for stuff like CDs and DVDs - you cant even re-use them as bin bags.
These little bags are useful for scooping up dogshit after your doggie has dropped his load on the pavement :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here