Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

plastic bags

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
plastic bags are a recent target for going green, banish the plastic bag and the world will be saved apparently. however, it occurs to me that plastics, plastics bags and packaging in general, are made from waste product of the oil industry, so whats the fuss about. or to put it another way, if the plastic bags weren't made, something else would have to be done with that material, no one digs up oil just to turn into plastic. Ironically though, in the interests of green causes there are some plants grown now to produce more biodegradable plastics, using land that could be otherwise used for food. now, i understand theres an issue with littering of bags, but thats an issue regarding general litter and people being twats. land fill being filled with tons of plastic bags is just a neat way of disposing of something that might be disposed of in a far less friendly way such as burning or dumped in a more toxic form.

so, is this just another green issue thats a storm in a polystyrene cup?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
From what i can decipher from that speech, plastic bags are the recent target for 'going green' because they don't degrade - thus staying on the planet.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I watched a rather interesting thingy on Ch4 last night about how the world would change if humans suddenly dissapeared.

It went in to 1 year, 5 years, 10, 20 etc right up to 100, 1000 & 10,000. Don't recall plastic bags being mentioned.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...how much would the World change...I would like to think that the rain forests might grow back, but that might take a couple of hundred years.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Plus isnt everyone forgetting HOW the plastic bags are made? it requires poisonous emissions which go ino the atmosphere of some sort I believe.

heres the nub of the matter, what else is there to the issue. the furore seems to be focused on the disposal of plastic bags and such. im thinking that disposal of the raw chemical soup that goes into making plastics presents no less a problem, yet it seems ignored. im wondering if plastics, in their stable, non-degradable form are actually preferable to just dumping the unneeded slurry. if there are other toxins come from the production, that might go some way to explain it, but otherwise plastics bags might not be so bad after all.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
the whole thing is just a supermarket ploy to make us buy PLASTIC bin liners.we all recycle carriers as bin liners but the supermarkets HATE us getting them free(we dont,the cost is included in overheads added to prime cost before profit mark up).

they want to sell us overpriced bin liners (carrier bags without logos)

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
the whole thing is just a supermarket ploy to make us buy PLASTIC bin liners.we all recycle carriers as bin liners but the supermarkets HATE us getting them free(we dont,the cost is included in overheads added to prime cost before profit mark up).

If you go to Lidl you can buy a bin liner with a logo

Actually it is a governement driven nonsense to make it look like they are doing something. Supermarkets (and others) are using it as a marketing opportunity selling us other, often plastic, bags to reuse time and again. However for the amount of plastic used I am doubtful of the enviromental benefit, these bags still have to be disposed of at some point. The only really biodegradable types are Jute and Cotton.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The point is that the carrier bags being used as bin liners are not eco friendly as it means that that the contents in the bags will decompose but the bag wont for 200 years. The supermarkets ploy is in fact to get people to buy bio-degradable bin liners which will rot away eventually. The supermarkets dont want to give away free carrier bags as the Government is intent on bringing in a bag tax if they continue issuing single use bags. The alternative is to sell bags for life at a nominal amount , along with a choice of more expensive bags which shoppers used before the advent of plastic bags. In 2 years time the major retailers wont have "free" bags available , either because there is a tax on all carrier bags or they have been withdrawn as not being "green".

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The supermarkets dont want to give away free carrier bags as the Government is intent on bringing in a bag tax if they continue issuing single use bags.

but why are the Government driving this? is it a genuine environmental issue or just a ruse to generate some revenue? they know fall well that even with those fancy hesiam whatever bags we still will use plastic for those things that dont fit, or the short trip to the corner shop. ever left a plastic bag out in the sun for for a year or buried one? last 200 years my arse. we've been sold another pup havnt we?

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
been a few years since i have braved the trip( its the long f***ing winding road through NOWHERE not the prospect of being in the windiest town in england,after crawley of course) but i doubt it is any nicer

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
irrespective of going green, those big blue Tesco bags are so much easier than plastic ones anyway. We have been using them for about a year and rather than make loads of journies from the car to the kitchen it only takes two due to the amount you can oput in them.

We always use to have a cupboard full of plastic bags but no longer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
but why are the Government driving this? is it a genuine environmental issue or just a ruse to generate some revenue? they know fall well that even with those fancy hesiam whatever bags we still will use plastic for those things that dont fit, or the short trip to the corner shop. ever left a plastic bag out in the sun for for a year or buried one? last 200 years my arse. we've been sold another pup havnt we?
This is to bring us in line with the rest of the EU. For instance in the Irish Republic they have a bag tax equivalent to about 13p which has vastly reduced the number of plastic carrier bags being used only once. France Spain and Germany have done the same or are about to.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I try to avoid them, because at the end of the day they are so sh*t these days a newspaper will slice a whole in the bottom in no time.

As much as I hate to be promoting Tescos, they do a fold up black re-usable thing which is genius, I try to take it with me everywhere I go. Not to save the planet, just to make sure my shopping doesn't end up on the pavement.

I have great pleasure filling my shopping up with it in Sainsburys. I wish Sainsburys did the same kind of thing, because I'd make sure I'd use when when I shop in Tescos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here