Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning application for seats

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Incompatible Browser | Facebook

I know this is pretty old news now although the Argus released it a 4pm this afternoon.. but I'm a little intrigued and confused. They are looking at upgrading to 30,500 but the article says;

"The extra seating is likely to be built in the corners of the ground. It is being worked on in parallel with an application to build a state-of-the-art training ground between Shoreham Airport and Lancing."

Does this mean no second tier on the East Stand and if not and they want to carry on expanding would this actually take us up closer to 38,000'ish?

Confused of Camden.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The application will be to allow attendances of up to 30,500. Whether they ever put the seats in or not is up to the Club and I suppose down to out success on the pitch and in ticket sales.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The application will be to allow attendances of up to 30,500. Whether they ever put the seats in or not is up to the Club and I suppose down to out success on the pitch and in ticket sales.

That wasn't my point. If it says 30,500 and only corners then does that mean our capacity will be substantially higher with a second tier on the East Stand, than at first thought.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No, about 3,750 ish seats for a second tier on the east stand and about 750-1,000 in the corners.

The argus have it wrong if they are suggesting we will get 2,000 ish seats in each of the corners.

AFAIK, 30,750 is the limit without any physical alterations to the structure, give or take a 100 or so if you really squeezed some etra seats in places but the financial outlay wouldn't be worth the seats you would squeeze out.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That wasn't my point. If it says 30,500 and only corners then does that mean our capacity will be substantially higher with a second tier on the East Stand, than at first thought.

Just Argus rubbish. 30k includes the East stand 2nd tier. The corners all combined only allow an extra 2500.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I reckon the corners will add about 750 each and the upper tier another 5000 maybe ... that'll be where 30,500 comes from I reckon

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it's just a mistake. "The extra seats are likely to be in the corners of the ground". The fact that it says 'likely' means the Argus reporter hasn't actually asked the club and is just guessing. It's been said all along that the capacity would be taken to 30,000 by seating in the corners and the Upper East tier. Can't see an extra 8,000 squeezed just into the corners.

I wonder if the transport issues may cause the application to be rejected? It's pretty clear the club is struggling to cope with the traffic and trains with only a 22,500 capacity stadium - so unless this went hand-in-hand with better transport proposals, I reckon it could well be turned down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here