Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plane crashes into houses at Biggin Hill.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make that Farnborough.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody who goes up in a Cessna is ultimately putting their life in the hands of a souped-up lawn-mower engine. If it stalls, there's no parachutes, you ain't going to glide to earth, you're f***ed basically. RIP tho. Obviously.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
OMG - family that own the house away on holiday, coming back tonight. How lucky are they - could have come back yesterday and now be dead. Obviously homeless now though but better than being lifeless!

RIP the 5 in the plane but I really wonder why people put their lives at risk going up in those things!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
just seeing the news, one of the people on the plane was David Leslie, an ex touring car driver, Sad Loss

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Anybody who goes up in a Cessna is ultimately putting their life in the hands of a souped-up lawn-mower engine. If it stalls, there's no parachutes, you ain't going to glide to earth, you're f***ed basically.

Erm, so which planes have you been on that have parachutes? Or that "glide to earth"? Or is a Cessna uniquely a death trap?

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
It was one of these, a Cessna Citation 501.
781px-Cessna_citation_ISP-Mojave-07.jpg

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I have only flown once, and I thouroughly hated every second of it :(
It was only a short haul trip to Nice as well!!

I will need serious coaching to ever set foot on a plane again, I have a genuine fear of flying.

As for the crash today, RIP to the 5 that died. A tragic accident.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Anybody who goes up in a Cessna is ultimately putting their life in the hands of a souped-up lawn-mower engine. If it stalls, there's no parachutes, you ain't going to glide to earth, you're f***ed basically. RIP tho. Obviously.

Just as a matter of interest, how many flying hours do you have? I'm assuming that you've flown a range of aircraft on which to base that opinion. FWIW, my experience is that the Cessnas, of the types that I've flown, are some of the most forgiving aircraft in the air. Fact is, if you get into trouble at a couple of hundred feet in any aircraft then you're going to need a large dose of luck to go with any skill that you have to get out of it.

Stats for Southern England suggest that yes, yes it is.

What stats would those be then? You can see C510 stats here (not updated yet with this incident, obv):

Aviation Safety Network > ASN Aviation Safety Database > Type index > ASN Aviation Safety Database results

And yes, I agree, RIP those killed...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's about 4 miles from where I live. Never heard a thing. Biggin Hill is hardly Heathrow and Citations are about the biggest planes to flight out of there. Just a sad accident the like of which can happen on any road daily.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Sad story but couldnt help smilimg at this quote from the Daily Mail

"Last night Mrs Harman arrived at what was left of her £450,000 home and sobbed: "Oh my God, oh my God, the house, not the house, a plane into my house..." She was led away by a male relative.

Her husband said he would be completing his golf trip before returning home tomorrow. "

Got his priorites right then

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Even in an area like that she'd be hard pressed to get £450,000 for that house !

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just seeing the news, one of the people on the plane was David Leslie, an ex touring car driver, Sad Loss

yeah I was at Brands yesterday for the BTCC, saw MURRAY WALKER and lots of FIT PIT GIRLS!
Shame about the crash, I vaguely remember Leslie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here