Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places in Brighton that are a mystery to you

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
How Cooper's barbers never got shut down (health and safety), i will never know- what a tip!

Another place I vaguely recall is a tiny boxers type boozer, found at random on a night out once, at the back of (i think) the Metropole hotel? The Crays would fit right in!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are you sure ;) ? They always close both tunnels for regular maintenance rather than contraflow through one. And there are all those doors.

There are tunnels that run between the main road tunnels (hence the doors). Principally as an safety feature, in case you ever got some kind of crash/fire inside as happened in the Mont Blanc tunnel a few years ago. There is also a kind of control room place further up the hill, maybe that's what people are thinking of...

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I, also, never had the courage to go in here. Did anyone go in and live to tell the tale?
534619_10151003338758734_1282254737_n.jpg

Yes, when I went back to Uni in the 90s I was skint so used him a lot. £1 for a number one all over, couldn't go wrong.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
There are tunnels that run between the main road tunnels (hence the doors). Principally as an safety feature, in case you ever got some kind of crash/fire inside as happened in the Mont Blanc tunnel a few years ago. There is also a kind of control room place further up the hill, maybe that's what people are thinking of...

No matter how much you and LB try to downplay the significants of Southwick Tunnel, the rest of us know it is the regular meeting place of the Illuminati or some such organisation.
Maybe it is just the best maintained tunnel in the world. There is no other stretch of public highway anywhere that receives as much regular attention.

Oct 25, 2003
How Cooper's barbers never got shut down (health and safety), i will never know- what a tip!

Another place I vaguely recall is a tiny boxers type boozer, found at random on a night out once, at the back of (i think) the Metropole hotel? The Crays would fit right in!

that's the smallest pub in brighton and is DEFINITELY a gay pub.........they're constantly belting out "show tunes" and the guy who runs it is GLORIOUSLY camp

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
that's the smallest pub in Brighton and is DEFINITELY a gay pub.........they're constantly belting out "show tunes" and the guy who runs it is GLORIOUSLY camp

used to be called the hole in the wall,
i worked as security on the metropole exhibition center and the pub is or was right outside the exhibition center main entrance

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No matter how much you and LB try to downplay the significants of Southwick Tunnel, the rest of us know it is the regular meeting place of the Illuminati or some such organisation.
Maybe it is just the best maintained tunnel in the world. There is no other stretch of public highway anywhere that receives as much regular attention.

I can exclusively reveal that the current works are to turn the tunnel area into a multi-billion pound tropical hideout for Vicente & his family, with revolutionary year-round artificial sunshine, a hilltop beach and infinity pool, foolproof security, three different tapas bars and a Bang & Olufsen stereo system in every room that plays the greatest hits of Las Ketchup and Sylvia twenty four hours a day.

Traffic from the A27 will be permanently re-routed back down the Hangleton link and through Portslade to Holmbush.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I can exclusively reveal that the current works are to turn the tunnel area into a multi-billion pound tropical hideout for Vicente & his family, with revolutionary year-round artificial sunshine, a hilltop beach and infinity pool, foolproof security, three different tapas bars and a Bang & Olufsen stereo system in every room that plays the greatest hits of Las Ketchup and Sylvia twenty four hours a day.

Traffic from the A27 will be permanently re-routed back down the Hangleton link and through Portslade to Holmbush.

That's more like it. Going over the top to put us off the scent. :wink:

secret-bunker.jpeg

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

There are also several doors on the exterior walls and as someone else has said, why all the maintenance closures?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are also several doors on the exterior walls and as someone else has said, why all the maintenance closures?

Oh god, are you saying you really do believe what the original poster said? I thought you were taking the piss.

I realise it may just look like a hole in the ground, but it has lighting, both of a standard and an emergency nature, ventilation systems, fire protection systems, storage for emergency equipment, escape routes, refuges, a control area, drainage systems and so on, and that's not even thinking about the basic structural complexities of the road surface and tunnel structure. All of which requires maintaining.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I forgot about the camera and radar systems that operate. They have to be maintained too.

Don't let that spoil a damned fine conspiracy theory though :lolol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Oh god, are you saying you really do believe what the original poster said? I thought you were taking the piss.

I realise it may just look like a hole in the ground, but it has lighting, both of a standard and an emergency nature, ventilation systems, fire protection systems, storage for emergency equipment, escape routes, refugees, a control area, drainage systems and so on, and that's not even thinking about the basic structural complexities of the road surface and tunnel structure. All of which requires maintaining.

Oh no - now you've started something :smile:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh no - now you've started something :smile:

Naughty :lolol:

By the way, did anyone see that photo Matt Prior tweeted the other day? No idea if there's been a thread on it or not. Sounds like he and the other players were sitting in queuing traffic at the Dartford Tunnel (is there a secret bunker there, do we know?) when an HGV passes them in the next lane. As they look across, they see a pair of legs and feet perched near one of the rear axles, one would assume some sort of stowaway.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Talking of bunkers, there IS one under the radio site at Truleigh Hill but it's fallen into disrepair.
There also used to be one under Beach Head rotor station but all surface features are long gone.
The Other one I know of is under Churchill square (been in that). There are rumours that there's a bunker under Brighton Town hall too.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Talking of bunkers, there IS one under the radio site at Truleigh Hill but it's fallen into disrepair.
There also used to be one under Beach Head rotor station but all surface features are long gone.
The Other one I know of is under Churchill square (been in that). There are rumours that there's a bunker under Brighton Town hall too.

There is one under the Town Hall because I have seen it. Don't rush for it though if the bomb drops as the only way in and out is through the building so if it collapses you are trapped. I think there was a good drama on a similar thing in the 70s

There is one under the Town Hall because I have seen it. Don't rush for it though if the bomb drops as the only way in and out is through the building so if it collapses you are trapped. I think there was a good drama on a similar thing in the 70s

Are you thinking about the BBC drama called Threads? It was set in the 80's and is about a when a nuclear bomb is dropped on Sheffield.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
This is a fascinating thread. I don't know brighton that well which I think makes it even more fascinating to me. so much better thn endless chat about Vicente.

When I was part of the Regional Civil Defence organisation (VIREG), one of the perks of my particular role was that, in the event of a nuclear attack by "a foreign power", I DIDN'T have to spend my last days on earth holed up in a local authority bunker, with the council's Chief Executive, while the building collapsed on everyone. Municipal bunkers are particularly unpleasant, claustrophobic environments. And they were also the last place that retained proper telephones with real dials, rather than those silly buttons we all use these days.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I have been told by a shop owner in Boundary Road Hove that there are a series of tunnels running under the road linking shops/houses in Boundary Road to Station Road Portslade. He seems a genuine guy and says that he has walked them but I've never heard this from anyone else.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Municipal bunkers are particularly unpleasant, claustrophobic environments. And they were also the last place that retained proper telephones with real dials, rather than those silly buttons we all use these days.

That's because dials and relays aren't susceptible to the electromagnetic pulse that is generated in a nuclear explosion. Anything with silicon chips will just stop working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here