Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Pitch may not help"...headline quote from today's Argus

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Basically Gus has picked the wrong players and the tactics have been wrong (FANNYball instead of football with purpose) . It aint the f***ing pitch. Apart from the fact that yes OUR players seem to be slipping over ALOT but the opp DONT. It AINT the f***ing pitch. Ya hear?

The miserable 3-1 at Ipswich, the rather poor 1-0 at Leics and THAT Watford game, I I havent even mentioned Ryan f***ing Harleys pen at Millwall . It. Aint. The. Pitch.

I think the point is we were trying to find out what is causing the injuries, not what has made us shit.

Fur Cough

It’s the training methods, I’m sure of it.

There's a saying that goes "no pain, no gain".

Bearing this in mind, I think the players would all benefit from being kicked hard in the balls once a day. This would toughen them up, and mean they could spend their careers completely dedicated to football, without the distraction of kids.

Or, if more pain really does equals more gain, insert a thin, hollow glass tube up a player's knob then hit the organ with a hammer to shatter the glass. Lots of gain there, and you get more gain every time the player goes for a slash.

And finally, if any of you have read Matilda by Roald Dahl, there's a nasty wardrobe called the Chokey where the mean headmistress sent naughty children. I think we should have a similar thing. I'm thinking a huge pit, filled with monkeys wearing Palace shirts. I don't know quite what the point of this would be though.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Poyet holds inquest????

Don't they teach the Argus writers any grammar?

The word inquest refers to a judicial investigation, conducted by a judge, jury, or government official. The most common kind of inquest is an inquiry including a medical examination by a coroner into the cause of a death that was sudden, violent or suspicious, or occurred in prison.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Considering Martin Perry was telling anyone who would listen that we would have one of the best pitch constructions in the country this does seem to be grabbing at straws! I guess they have to look at every possibility though. It's notable that the players mainly affected are the new signings.

I remember Martin Perry specifically saying that the pitch construction was such that it provided low impact on the players joints and would help minimise injuries.
Well that worked out didn't it!

:facepalm:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I mentioned this last month, but as many have pointed out if we stopped soaking the pitch immediatly prior to the game it would be a start.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think the point is we were trying to find out what is causing the injuries, not what has made us shit.

The same pitch that, certainly when I have my ST presentation, was explained that it was the least likely pitch to cause injuries in the country - have we been sold a lemon

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It really can't be our pitch. Reyes only played once on it, Bridcutt has had a head injury, Buckley only played a few times on it before being crocked, Hoskins didn't even start the season on it, Vicente has struggled for fitness in recent years anyway

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
So why hasn't affected Calde, Greer, Dunk, CMS or Nooney? I don't buy it's the pitch. I was told the same as above at my season ticket presentation. I would imagine that CMS and Noone have covered the most ground and it hasn't effected them injury wise.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Little comment from his interview and blown up, he went on more about the intensity of training and what not. Basically they are looking at everything

Quite. He doesn't blame the pitch, he holds it as a possible reason, but then seems to dismiss it.

Poyet revealed to The Argus: “We have been talking about everything and analysing. It’s not as if we don’t search for answers or reasons. The problem is you can talk about ten different things and we haven’t come up with one answer.

“The pitch is different grass, a different kind of effort, different reaction from the players after the games we have played. Is that a reason?

“I don’t know. What is true is it’s different. The players who have been injured most of the time weren’t here last year, Buckley, Hoskins, Vicente, now Gonzalo Jara.

“Players who haven’t been with us previously are for some reason not really coping with the intensity or whatever it is.
Even Bergkamp has been injured for a month and a half.

“Then we have tried to address the intensity of training and whether it is right or not, especially when it is close to the game and people are trying to get into the team and maybe training harder than they should, so we’ve tried to slow it down or make it shorter.

Poyet holds injury inquest From The Argus)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
It is not only new players who have been affected. Gary Dicker broke a leg in the last home game against West Ham.

After reading this on the bus this morning this stuck out to me. So the new grass broke his leg!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
High Water and Green Grass

“If you hit it long against a high line, you’ll find the ball going through to the keeper a lot – especially in England when the ball is often wet and moving fast. We like to play on the floor against a high line, because if you slip a man through with one or two touches, they’ll be onto the keeper. If you’re precise, it’s easier to play against a high line than a deep defence. Watch how Spain do it!”

Countering a team that defends deep | Tactics | FourFourTwo Performance

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Poyet holds inquest????

Don't they teach the Argus writers any grammar?

The word inquest refers to a judicial investigation, conducted by a judge, jury, or government official. The most common kind of inquest is an inquiry including a medical examination by a coroner into the cause of a death that was sudden, violent or suspicious, or occurred in prison.

Inquest is also "n. an act of inquiring"

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Argus in 'take-a-throwaway-remark-and-make-a-story-out-of-it' shocker. What a ridiculous article.

If anything, it's far more likely that training could be the issue considering it's mainly the new players who have become injured. If, as Gus describes, we train at a higher intensity than other teams then it may take a while for new players to adjust their fitness levels, with injuries being more likely along the way.
It surprises me sometimes that the Argus is allowed by the club to print articles as our main newspaper, considering the twist they put on one sentence of an interview for 9/10 of their BHA articles.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I can't remember any of your players slipping over at home?

Oh wait, I can - Liam Bridcutt just before Zaha fired in our equaliser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here