Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Piss off wind

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
This weather's screwed up: I spent last weekend in Germany where the temperature on about the same line of latitude as Brighton hit a cheeky little 33c on Saturday in blistering and windless sunshine - not at all unheard of there in August but in May? Mental.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Having worked outside nearly all my life I've noticed over the past few years that as well as the obvious, wetter warmer winters , we seem to also have far more windy days than we used to. Other outdoorsey folks I've spoken to about this say they've noticed it too. I wonder if there's any hard evidence to back this observation up ?

P.S. Plant African marigolds with your peppers if you want to try some companion planting.

ooohhh companion planting eh? never heard of that, might do some research so thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tagetes are better as companion plants ;)

Good point. Stronger scented version of marigolds in essence so will probably do the job with peppers too. French marigolds go with toms & African marigolds with peppers, but tagetes would probably be great with peppers too.

Discussing the weather and gardening tips is much more civilised than all that other stuff going on in Rome :jester:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Global warming. Or more accurately, Climate change. The melting ice caps causing pockets of colder oceans, together with heat from the holes in the ozone = change in wind patterns.

Ta :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
what size pots are they in now? if small you will need to pot them onto larger pots at sompepoint. I use anything from 2litre to 3.5litre pots asthey'll tend to grow to the size of the pot (like a fish in a tank!).
Flowering depends on when you sewed them, I sewed most of mine early Feb and the first flowers came out the last week or so.

You can move them outside anytime from now really but best when they are mature in larger pots, night time temps dont dip too low anymore but i'd be aware of days like today, wind/rain damage can be life threatening. Keep them in Pots for their entire life or place them into Troughs or even tomato grow bags should be alright!

I'll post pictures of my lot later tnoight if you like :thumbsup:

Hmm - not sure about litreage, but they're in 3" pots at the mo and I think they've just about outgrown them, so I guess I should re-pot them soonest. I have 66 viable plants so will take a while. I planted at the beginning of Mar, so I'm running just behind you it seems. I guess I'll put them outside at some point, once our Shoreham climate has mellowed a bit (at least the wind's gone today).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Hmm - not sure about litreage, but they're in 3" pots at the mo and I think they've just about outgrown them, so I guess I should re-pot them soonest. I have 66 viable plants so will take a while. I planted at the beginning of Mar, so I'm running just behind you it seems. I guess I'll put them outside at some point, once our Shoreham climate has mellowed a bit (at least the wind's gone today).

lol yeah I'm in Shoreham too and that wind is a bastard but my hothouse stayed upright than god! I've got 60+ chillies, toms & sweet peppers on the go. About 7 or 8 chilli varietys too of which I *WILL* sell on here once they fruit up :)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
lol yeah I'm in Shoreham too and that wind is a bastard but my hothouse stayed upright than god! I've got 60+ chillies, toms & sweet peppers on the go. About 7 or 8 chilli varietys too of which I *WILL* sell on here once they fruit up :)

Good news about the greenhouse, it was a bugger of a day yesterday.

Out of interest, are there any particular varieties that grow better ? My Cayennes are about 12" now. The Lanterns are obviously as smaller type, they're about 5 or 6" and the Jalapenos somewhere inbetween. I water them virtually every day - would that be too much (doesn't seem to have done them any harm), but being South American, I would guess they are genetically used to less water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here