Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pirates 3 - The verdict, My ordeal is over

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Following on from a previous thread I went to the multiplex at 2.15 pm for the sold out 2.45 pm showing , got a decent seat and by 3pm when it started the cinema was pppp packed. I sat back in my seat with shoulders slightly sagging as I had accepted my fate was sealed, 2 hour 50 minutes to go and I could get out into the fresh rain sodden air. I had very low expectations after the average Pirates 1 and even more average and even longer Pirates 2.

It started off at a decent pace for 30 minutes or so and Depp appeared after 30 minutes with an amusing intro where he was going doodle alley in the Desert, the plot was confused to say the least but then part 2 was total nonsense as well.

The film moved along at a fair pace but dragged a little in the middle when the eyelids started to get heavy in the warm theatre but I like to be a fair reviewer and it has to be said Part 3 is BY FAR the best of the 3 films imho, now thats not saying a great deal but I actually quite enjoyed it, I know, incredible, but they had made a massive effort on the spectacle front if not the story and the money was certainly up there on the screen. The realisation of the ships and the sea battles was stunning, the battles were excellently choreograhically and cinematically done, they made a real effort.

There was far more actually funny humour in this one and it has more heart and spirit than the other 2 put together.

I am not going to see it again or buy it as I am not a Pirate person but anyone who likes this type of film and likes part 1 and 2 should love it.

Pirates 3 - 7.4

Pirates 1 - 4.4
Pirates 2 - 4.2

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
See - that's true dedication. Forcing himself to go and watch a film purely so he can come on NSC and review it for us.

I downloaded the film overnight and will watch it later.

It's all about pirates, non?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
For a film of this size with huge special effects and so many things happening I would have to watch it on a big cinema screen, preferably in a packed auditorium.

If I watch it at home I usually end up pausing the film and rarely watch a long film in one go.

You just don't get the cinematic experience at home!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Downloaded Penguin said:
For a film of this size with huge special effects and so many things happening I would have to watch it on a big cinema screen, preferably in a packed auditorium.

If I watch it at home I usually end up pausing the film and rarely watch a long film in one go.

You just don't get the cinematic experience at home!

True. Shrek 3 is very good, and I will go and watch it on the big screen - I watched it last night at home, and there are some very good parts that need a humungous screen and good sound system.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kenhead said:
Its more of a costume drama set on a pirate ship

Its a Shu In for Oscar Best Costume 2007

Some scenes were hugely spectacular and impressive it has to be said.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Also they had a trailer for

Transformers 27/7/07

It looks fecking awesome

Die Hard 4 trailer was pretty good too.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Both me and the girl I was with were both a bit bored after 90 minutes but too polite to say anything. It was alriiiiiight, but about 45 minutes too long.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤ said:
It was wank

Transformers trailer was the best bit of the evening

Transformers looking fecking brilliant

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Both me and the girl I was with were both a bit bored after 90 minutes but too polite to say anything. It was alriiiiiight, but about 45 minutes too long.

Was that bored of each other or bored with the film

;) ;) ;)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Uncle Spielberg said:

Yeah, I saw the trailer when I went to see 28 weeks later. It looks bloody good. Can't wait.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Well I did like the original Pirates. I thought the second was a let down, but At World's End is QUALITY. I really did like it. Can't see it being the same at home though.

Gutted that I missed out on a Transformers trailer though :(

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Uncle Spielberg said:

Oh yes what a cracker that's bound to be directed by Michael Bay, after his expert, soulful workings on The Rock, Armageddon and the Bad Boys series.
For f***'s sake.

I'll see it, i'm sure, and return home to watch the 1986 version with the voices of Nimoy and Welles to re-warm my sentiments to the genre.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Just found this on Wikipedia:

In the early 90s when Steven Spielberg had plans on making the film, he really had no choices for the role of Governor Swann but had three choices for the role of Captain Jack Sparrow, one of which was Steve Martin who (much like Spielberg) is a huge fan of Doctor Who. So to get Martin interested, Spielberg contacted Sylvester McCoy (whose most famous for playing the Seventh Doctor) about the role, McCoy was very interested in the project. However Disney did not give permission for the film to be made.

Sylvester McCoy as Jack Sparrow??!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Saw last night

DO NOT WATCH THIS FILM :nono:

Quite possibly the WORSE film i have ever watched...honestly it was that bad :(

This despite an excellent line up of heavy duty actors (Depp, Knightly, Nighy, Rush, Chinese dude from 'Crouching Tiger' and earlier John Woo films)

Don't waste your money people, utter pants :nono: :nono:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Meade's_Ball said:
Oh yes what a cracker that's bound to be directed by Michael Bay, after his expert, soulful workings on The Rock, Armageddon and the Bad Boys series.
For f***'s sake.

I'll see it, i'm sure, and return home to watch the 1986 version with the voices of Nimoy and Welles to re-warm my sentiments to the genre.

OK I'll give you Armageddon, but don't diss the Rock, it's a f***ing ace movie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here