Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pietersen OUT for the rest of the Ashes series

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I've read his book. Given his mental state, there's NO chance of that happening.

Basically, what's the issue? Is it clinical depression/bi-polar?

Damn shame - talented player.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With the central contracts it tends to make England players think they have a job for life.

It's very difficult to break through via one dayers and 20/20 to make the frame. If you are a contracted player and you suffer an injury or very poor loss of form, it's inevitable that another contracted player will be slid in in his place.

After all, if they replace a player with someone who is a county pro, instead of one of the 15-16 contracted players they will get flak for paying a player 80-100 K a year NOT to play for his county if he is not picked for England !

Basically, what's the issue? Is it clinical depression/bi-polar?

Damn shame - talented player.

Too right. But his health comes first.

Marcus Trescothick, one of England's finest cricketers, spoke for the first time yesterday of the clinical depression that forced him to abandon his international career.

Trescothick –who remains England's 11th best run scorer, with an average of 43.75, described the bouts of homesickness, sleeplessness and anxiety which forced him to fly home during Test series against India in February 2006 and from Australia in November of the same year.

In a serialisation of his forthcoming book, Coming Back to Me, Trescothick, 32, said: "I would not have wished my illness on my worst enemy ... Depression is not the same as feeling down or fed up. People might say 'I'm a bit depressed today,' but true depression is quite different." In March this year the opener was found slumped distraught in a corner of a shop at Heathrow, unable to board a plane to join his Somerset team-mates for a pre-season tour of Dubai. He announced his retirement from international cricket a few days later.

He recalls how he fretted about the welfare of his wife, Hayley, who had been tearful after the birth of their first child, Ellie, during England's tour of India. A bout of fever had confined Trescothick to his hotel room.

"My mind was pulling itself apart in a hundred directions," he wrote. "Then came the pictures in my head; specific, enormous, terrifying images. What was happening at home? Was Haley OK? Was Ellie alright? I couldn't distinguish between what was real and what I imagined to be real ... things, beings, beasts, bastards ... attacked in waves, one after another, each worse than the one before. 'Oh God, Please, make it stop. Oh go, please make it stop.'"

He tried to hide his state of mind from his team-mates, but he finally fell apart during a warm-up in Baroda, India. "We were out in the field, but I didn't have a clue what was taking place around me ... [and] I was supposed to be captain."

Back in Britain, his GP diagnosed depression. He said he asked himself why he should have depression. "What did I have to worry about? I had always been someone who coped. But depression doesn't care who it attacks; if it wants you, you cannot beat it off with a CV or a bank balance."

He worked with a cognitive therapist and returned to international cricket in November 2006, during the Ashes in Australia, but it was too early. He eventually broke down: "All the same feelings of irrational fear, despair and panic that had taken over my whole being in Baroda came back, wave after great wave."

Trescothick has since returned to county cricket, helping Somerset to the Division Two championship. And he says he now has his illness under control. "While there may never be a cure, I have built up strategies to deal with my depression and understand it better," he says.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Too right. But his health comes first.

Marcus Trescothick, one of England's finest cricketers, spoke for the first time yesterday of the clinical depression that forced him to abandon his international career.

Trescothick –who remains England's 11th best run scorer, with an average of 43.75, described the bouts of homesickness, sleeplessness and anxiety which forced him to fly home during Test series against India in February 2006 and from Australia in November of the same year.

In a serialisation of his forthcoming book, Coming Back to Me, Trescothick, 32, said: "I would not have wished my illness on my worst enemy ... Depression is not the same as feeling down or fed up. People might say 'I'm a bit depressed today,' but true depression is quite different." In March this year the opener was found slumped distraught in a corner of a shop at Heathrow, unable to board a plane to join his Somerset team-mates for a pre-season tour of Dubai. He announced his retirement from international cricket a few days later.

He recalls how he fretted about the welfare of his wife, Hayley, who had been tearful after the birth of their first child, Ellie, during England's tour of India. A bout of fever had confined Trescothick to his hotel room.

"My mind was pulling itself apart in a hundred directions," he wrote. "Then came the pictures in my head; specific, enormous, terrifying images. What was happening at home? Was Haley OK? Was Ellie alright? I couldn't distinguish between what was real and what I imagined to be real ... things, beings, beasts, bastards ... attacked in waves, one after another, each worse than the one before. 'Oh God, Please, make it stop. Oh go, please make it stop.'"

He tried to hide his state of mind from his team-mates, but he finally fell apart during a warm-up in Baroda, India. "We were out in the field, but I didn't have a clue what was taking place around me ... [and] I was supposed to be captain."

Back in Britain, his GP diagnosed depression. He said he asked himself why he should have depression. "What did I have to worry about? I had always been someone who coped. But depression doesn't care who it attacks; if it wants you, you cannot beat it off with a CV or a bank balance."

He worked with a cognitive therapist and returned to international cricket in November 2006, during the Ashes in Australia, but it was too early. He eventually broke down: "All the same feelings of irrational fear, despair and panic that had taken over my whole being in Baroda came back, wave after great wave."

Trescothick has since returned to county cricket, helping Somerset to the Division Two championship. And he says he now has his illness under control. "While there may never be a cure, I have built up strategies to deal with my depression and understand it better," he says.

Poor sod, by the sound of things he was only a whisker away from becoming a independant mortgage advisor and failed tipster and poor film reviewer..:wozza:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Means he misses the fpt final...that'll do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've read his book too, and my conclusion was more that he does want to play for England but just can't hack any away tour. Do you not think he would be up for 3 test matches in England? I reckon he possibly would.

I'm staggered that anyone could think that after reading the book. He describes, in vivid detail, his battle with a deep and debilitating depression - it's not about a bout of homesickness. He feels content playing for Somerset because he almost regards them as family but he lays bare the pressure he feels under playing for England.

Remember, that after he returned back from India and tried to play again, he didn't even make it on the plane - that was for a short trip to the UAE, about the same length of time away from home as a modern test match - and that was without the added pressure of an Ashes series.

Besides, even if he did say he wanted to play for England again, there's no way that the selectors would take a chance on him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Means he misses the fpt final...that'll do.
Very short-sighted, it would have been better for us (Sussex) if he'd played. He hasn't played for Hampshire for a year and in his last two finals for Hants he scored 5 and 12. Add that to the fact that he would have been carrying a serious injury (which has affected his form and his capacity to score quickly) and the only reason to include him would be because he's Kevin Pietersen and he *might* do something good. Experience has told us that playing injured players in any sport never works, but I was hoping that Hants would let hope triumph over experience. Now they'll have a settled side who'll be going all out to prove that they reached the final without Pietersen and they don't need him in order to win it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bell for me, gets a lot of stick but is still a quality batsman.
Not many other options, not sure why SSN have been mentioning Moore his average this year is poor. (Poet and I didn't know it)

Moore scored a century for Eng lions against Australia, and another for Worcs against Lancashire during the Cardiff Test. He's an opener though and replacing experience with a novice when he would be surrounded by inexperience (Ravi, Prior) would be a gamble.

Bell will do fine. What would be nice would be him doing great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here