Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pie Recipies

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Seeing all this talk of pie's makes me want to make one.

Usually it's a simple Beef and Ale or Minced Beef and Onion pie in the Barnet household. Any NSC'ers got top Pie recipe tips?

Thanks in advance

Barnet

Trufflehound said:
Pi - an excellent little movie by Darren Aronofsky. Bit weird in a black and white Eraserhead sort of a way, but very good nonetheless.

Yes, yes it is.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
think the shop's near London road somewhere, Friday is Pie day here and someone from work brings em in. They do great pies including (in December) a big turkey, stuffing and cranberry number.

That particular pie (7 inch diameter) requires a fork and a knife though in most other circumstances cutlery on a pie is wrong :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There was a pie in the Observer magazine yesterday that costs a grand.

It had Wagyu beef, shitakye mushrooms and some other posh stuff in.

Personally, I like a good old steak and kidney.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If anyoneever goes to the Greenjackets in Shoreham, I can heartily recommend their steak and ale pie with stilton. The cheese is (obviously) melted in with the sauce, and I've started wildly salivating now at the thought of it. The missus actually does quite a commendable copy of it in her kitchen as well, bless her.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Nice fish pie does the trick. Salmon, prawns, mussels, smoked haddock, nice creamy sauce, plenty of parsley and a nice puff pastry top (cooked seperately then placed on top so as to avoid going soggy).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Usually Beef and Ale, but the other night Roast Chicken.

Basically, Roast a small Corn Fed or Organic Chicken in the usual way.

Well, I always put butter between the breast and the skin and cook it UPSIDE DOWN. This ensures that the breasts don't dry out and all the flavour runs from the bottom of the bird to the top (there isn't any meat on the bottom)

I balance the chicken this way on some vegetables - usually a few carrots, onion and celery...

.. usually I wack a lemon up the chickens arse as well and rub pepper and thyme on the skin.

Also - the usual guide to cooking in 20mins per 500g plus 20 mins. I forget the extra 20 mins but put the oven to to about 200/210c. This way ensures that chicken is a lovely golden brown, moist and cooked.

For the last 10 mins or say - I turn the bird over to brown the top.

The breasts flatten a little this way - but you're after flavour.

When the bird is cooked - I remove the breasts and roughly rip. I also take off the darker meat (thighs, legs) but finely chop those.

Next - fry a handful of very finely chopped carrot and celery in a little butter until soft.

Add all the chicken, some prepared bechemal sauce (*), some chopped thyme and parsley, a pinch of grated nutmeg, salt and pepper (a little white) and a bay leaf.

Heat through gently until the bay leaf has flavoured the sauce. Add a handful of frozen peas (these will cook in the oven)

Remove the bay leaf and cool.

That's the pie filling - top with pastry of your choice, paint over a little egg yolk beaten with milk and bake until the pastry is cooked.

You can now make some good stock from the bones and the roast veg.

I made this pie on saturday and will tonight cook some nice spanish rice with some of the chicken stock

(*) - easy to make, but luckily I have a shop near me that sells pre-made bechamel sauce in a carton. Not powder, the real thing is a carton from Portugal. I don't bother making it any more.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I had a very nice Game Pie on Friday night at Crossways on the way to Eastbourne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here