Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pie and Mash

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
From the ‘West Ham Travel Match Pack’:

“Avoid the ‘Pie and Mash with Liquor’. Most locals steer well clear of it except to prove their cockney worth, ie, Danny Baker types.”

What absolute rubbish. I am by no means a local, and am quite comfortable with having absolutely no cockney worth whatsoever, but Pie and Mash with Liquor is The Food Of The Gods. All the people packed into Goddards Pie and Mash shop by the Cutty Sark in Greenwich every Saturday lunchtime, and the ones queuing out the door, will back me up on this as they tuck into £2.60 worth of culinary comfort.

Ignore the ill-informed comments if you’re going to West Ham and let Liquor into your life. You won’t regret it.

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
Absolutely! Goddards in Greenwich is a culinary delight, along with Menzies in Deptford High St. Pie, double mash, a great big ladle full of liqour, all drenched in loads of pepper and chilli vinegar... all for a couple of quid. Top artery blocking scenes!!:clap2: :clap2:

Serves 4

Butter - 25g (1 oz)
Plain flour - 25g (1 oz)
Water - 300 ml (10 fl oz), or chicken stock
Fresh parsley - 4 tbsp, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Malt vinegar - 1 tsp, optional

METHOD

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.

Gradually add the water or stock. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Add the parsley and seasoning and vinegar if using.

Serve with a minced beef pie and mashed potatoes.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
It's not really parsley sauce - I'd say that was white sauce with parsley that you'd have with fish. It's more like a kind of parsley gravy...

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Smithers-Jones said:
Absolutely! Goddards in Greenwich is a culinary delight, along with Menzies in Deptford High St. Pie, double mash, a great big ladle full of liqour, all drenched in loads of pepper and chilli vinegar... all for a couple of quid. Top artery blocking scenes!!:clap2: :clap2:
*Homer Simpson-style drooling* Oooh that takes me back. Haven't been up that neck of the woods since a customer of mine moved from Creek Road out to Sevenoaks a few years ago. Haven't had decent green gravy since.

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
It looks like snot with parsely in it, but tastes bloody great. If you don't fancy it, they always offer regular gravy as an alternative. Complete menu is something along the line of

Pie and Mash
2 pie and mash
Pie and double mash
2 pie and double mash
Cheese and Onion pie (for the veggies!)
Sausages
Something horrible involving eels

Liqour
Gravy

Deserts...
Spotted Dick and Custard
err thats it!

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Goddard's Pie House

pieshopfront-gallery.JPG

Smithers-Jones

Mar 26, 2004
Eltham
Titanic said:
It's not a complete 'Pie and Mash' experience without the eels :)

Sorry mate, cant be doin with the eels. I have tried but it just didn't really do it for me:sick:

Just looking on the website there. WTF!!! Enjoy a glass of wine! With pie and mash? It's not normal. Things have changed since I was last in there. I normally go to the one in Deptford if I am in that neck of the woods, and all you get there is tea coffe and a choice of coke or lilt!!:D :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here