Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pics from the Palace five-penalty game...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Can anyone help? I'm trying to find pics or video of this game for a story I'm writing - but nothing's come up so far. The YouTube vid's been removed.

Any help greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

BTW, just read this great description from Palace board...

With Palace-Brighton sentiments clearly as strong as ever after many years of separation, I find it surprising that so little mention has been made here of the last time our paths crossed with the Seaweeds' at Selhurst. I'm sure there are plenty here who remember it as if it were yesterday but, as it was more than thirteen years ago, there must be many who were not there, perhaps even some who know little or nothing about the occasion that remains one of the most eventful, exciting, nail-biting, bizarre and downright hilarious days I have ever experienced as a Palace fan. I think it's important that the scene is properly set for this Saturday by ensuring that everybody knows what happened last time.

It was Easter time in 1989. Both teams were still in with a shout of making a late challenge for promotion. The stage was set for an exciting and passionate encounter but one man was determined to make his mark on history and turn this into far more than just a great football match. Step forward Kelvin Morton. If you think we've got some dodgy refs doing the rounds these days, you really should have seen this bloke. He was legendary. Fortunately, Palace often seemed to be on the right end of his more eccentric displays. I recall another occasion when he sent off two Luton players in a Zenith Data Systems cup tie for little more than slipping around on the icy pitch, then flashed his red card at their coach Terry Mancini, possibly for wearing an alarmingly unfashionable coat, or maybe for having the cheek to be even balder than Kelvin himself. But I digress.

After a lively start, Palace took the lead when Ian Wright picked up the ball on the left just inside the Brighton half. He took a few paces forward and then, instead of cutting inside or making a run for the byline, he hit a shot from a ridiculous distance and angle that looped over the flailing Seaweed keeper and into the top corner. Standing near the goal on the Whitehorse terrace, I was right in line with the shot and I don’t know to this day where Ian got that one from. One of the most audacious and unexpected goals I've ever seen.

Clearly sensing that the match was in danger of becoming a perfectly normal, good game of football, Kelvin stepped in and began the process of making sure his name would feature prominently in the next day's papers. He sent off Brighton's Mike Trusson for two innocuous bookable offences and awarded a penalty to Palace which regular penalty taker Mark Bright dispatched without problems. 2-0.

Shortly before half time, another penalty to Palace. Up steps Bright but his shot is weak, the keeper guesses right and it's saved. As I remember it, the ball was not cleared and within seconds Kelvin spotted another infringement and pointed to the spot yet again! For some reason, Bright stood aside and up stepped Wrighty. He may have hit the target in spectacular fashion from just in front of block M of the Old Stand, but a free shot from 12 yards proved too much for him as he slammed the ball against the post.

The feeling at half time was not comfortable. Smelling blood and the chance of a runaway victory just minutes before, we now had visions of blowing this one in the most embarrassing fashion. And we very nearly managed to do just that. Penalty number four was awarded, but to Brighton, who put it away without difficulty. Kelvin made amends for this rare lapse soon afterwards, as he pointed to the spot for the fifth time, awarding a fourth penalty to Palace. Unbelievably, Ian and Mark stood back and allowed right back Johnny Pemberton, presumably mistaking the BBC and ITV transmission towers for the goalposts, to send the ball soaring high over the Holmesdale.

From then on, it was a nightmare. Brighton's ten men were understandably inspired and seemed like twenty. The Palace defence was shaking like Little Mo in Eastenders when Trevor's on the warpath. I still remember Perry Suckling screaming, "Don't foul him, don't foul him!" every time one of his defenders went to make a challenge inside the penalty box. Nothing like the keeper taking control of the situation and calming the nerves, eh?

We held on for the victory but it was the Seaweeds who made the most noise at the end. The away fans occupied the corner compound of the Holmesdale terrace in those days and they clearly felt that moral victory was theirs, giving their team a huge ovation for several minutes as Palace fans attempted to celebrate a vital but very unsatisfactory win.

All ended happily for Stevie Coppell's red and blue army that season as we won promotion to the old First Division. By the time we dropped back down, the Seaweeds were long gone into the nether regions of the league. But now the time has come for them to darken our doorway once again. We could do with a bit of excitement in this dull, frustrating season but I'm not sure I could take another match like that one. I keep having this disturbing dream lately where I take my seat on the 26th October, flip to the back of the programme and see the words "Referee: K. Morton". And last night it was worse - I looked over to the enemy dugout and there sat none other than Steve Coppell! It seemed so real.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
There was a little vid on youtube a fair while back but when I tried to find it last time I couldn't.

Sorry to be of no help whatsoever.

:shrug:

Oops, sorry, just read that you've already said that!

Last edited:

You can thank whoever was spiteful enough to get my Youtube account closed for the removal of the video.

I didn't realise you could get kicked out of Youtube. Can't you just delete your cookies and log on elsewhere?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Sorry but can't help you in your quest, and just wanted to say...

'I was there...'

Thank you :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have it on the computer EastLondon but would need help in putting it up anywhere, but if anyone wants to help.

Just looked at it again and its a 1.35 min clip. Kelvin you Silly Billy we all sang.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yep I was there too...

A BRITISH record I believe.

I was there and I took a camera and i took pictures................

but we were stuck in a corner, looking through a huge "safety" net in the corner and all the penalties seemed to be down the other end.....which made all the photos blurred and faint.

(and no, I can't find them now, it was 19 years ago FFS)

BTW- has JPemberton's penalty come down yet or is it still in orbit

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Back in 1997, I used to teach Kelvin Morton's son at Culford Prep School, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

After hanging up his whistle, Kelvin became an FA Referee's Assessor - 2 free tickets to a game that he was assessing. I ended up going to watch one of the Premiership games with him - Leicester v Derby.

During the trip up there, I did ask him about the 5 penalty game. Kelvin then proceeded to systematically talk through all the penalties that he gave and the reasons why he gave them. He was quite adamant that he called all of the decisions correctly!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Back in 1997, I used to teach Kelvin Morton's son at Culford Prep School, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

After hanging up his whistle, Kelvin became an FA Referee's Assessor - 2 free tickets to a game that he was assessing. I ended up going to watch one of the Premiership games with him - Leicester v Derby.

During the trip up there, I did ask him about the 5 penalty game. Kelvin then proceeded to systematically talk through all the penalties that he gave and the reasons why he gave them. He was quite adamant that he called all of the decisions correctly!

Marvellous, just like Stuart Atwell's probably still doing with his goal that never was :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here