Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pickling your own onions.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Seems to be several ways,however i have the pickling onions/shallotts and want to get crisp & crunchy onions. Any experts here ? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• pickled-onions-with-salt.jpg
    pickled-onions-with-salt.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 148

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Love em!!!

could fart for England after a few of them.

One tip is the jar that you pickle them in must be totally clean. you need to boil it to get rid of the previous contents. Also the lid must be sealed...

Good luck and Pickle on !!!!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well i have peeled them,jar is in boiling water,spices at hand,vinegar ready & plastic for seal. :bhasign:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not a tip about pickling them yourself, but for anyone who likes pickled onions, I cannot recommend Barry Normans Pickled Onions enough. They are absolutely amazing!

2_200by200.gif

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
I think the onions, once they've been peeled, should be left in salted water for at least 24 hours with a plate and weight on them to keep them submerged. It's something to do with osmosis I think, drawing the moisture out of the onions to help make them nice and crunchy.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Not a tip about pickling them yourself, but for anyone who likes pickled onions, I cannot recommend Barry Normans Pickled Onions enough. They are absolutely amazing!

2_200by200.gif

Oh yes! Barry does a good pickled onion. I can feel myself salivating already!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I think the onions, once they've been peeled, should be left in salted water for at least 24 hours with a plate and weight on them to keep them submerged. It's something to do with osmosis I think, drawing the moisture out of the onions to help make them nice and crunchy.

Last few year years I have tried both methods - brine and dry (i.e just salt) and think the latter gave the better onions. Just leave the peeled onions covered in salt for 48 hours before pickling. It is amazing how much water the salt does draw off.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
top tail and peel, big bowl water with lots of salt leave to soak overnight, drain and rinse in fresh water pat dry with kitchen towel,

jars fill with boiler water leave for a couple of mins drain put upside down in hot oven to dry when cool pack onions in jars

in sauspan heat pickling vinegar to boil add pack of pickle spices and a couple of dried chillers simmer for 10 mins cool and poor over onions in jar fill to top no you dont want air in jar put lid on nice and tight

leave for a few weeks then enjoy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here