Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone Networks and Data Connection @ Amex

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I'm on Giffgaff (Giffgaff) on my iphone 3gs which uses the O2 signal and in the north stand I've had no problems placing bets etc whilst in the concourse and in my seat, agree that free WiFi would be pretty cool though

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
the club has wifi hotspots allegedly, but either don't connect, or are password protected

Yes they do and yes they are for what it is worth there is no mobile signal in the press room what so ever (unless it has been solved since the first game) so I suspect that the surroundings as well as the number of users + phone used will all be contributing factors to lack of 3g download.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was told that several Networks have been instructed to provide only a reduced coverage in the area of the stadium

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
I am surprised that the club hasn't approached BT Openzone or similar for WiFi. Easy for the club as BT maintain the service and I guess the club must get a (small?) proportion of any operating profit? Still not sure what size data pipe BT would out in for something that might only get used 25-30 days a year?

Thi mobile reception in the concourses is due to all the steel rather than the concrete as it would create a Faraday cage blocking the radio waves.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Tesco (o2) on a iphone and get pretty much naff all from half time until I'm back on the bus and away from the stadium.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Why on earth would that be?

Don't know, though I was told it's to hinder away fans with intent to cause aggro making easy contact with each other.

Though that sounds extreme for the other 99% of fans!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its just capacity I assume. No-one is going to invest a significant amount of money, for a high density of users in an area, for 30~ events a year.

Bisto

Getting older everyday
Oct 25, 2010
Brighton
I am Cellnet no signal at all, however thinking about it haven't had a signal anywhere or received a phone call in 15 years

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Hi,

Thinking of changing from Vodafone for a few reasons, one of which is that I cannot seem to get a 3G data connection at Falmer. What have others found in terms of their connections - any better on T-Mobile, 3, O2 or Orange?

I imagine it could simply be a network capacity issue at the ground when a few thousand people may want to be checking the half-time scores.

Why do you need that in ground mate?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am on Virgin on an Iphone 3 and the internet connection is f***ing shite!!!

I have mailed them three times to compalin and not received a dickybird back.

Considering I spend nigh on £300 a month with Virgin( telly,sporta club etc) their customer services are shite!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Me too, its fine inside the stadium and outside, but in the concourse WSL I get no service. It has its advantages, if you can be contacted to come straight home after the game! :thumbsup::drink:

Same for me - concourses and Dick's Bar is where I struggle, which is actually annoying as that's where I'm generally trying to arrange meeting mates post match!

Aug 4, 2011
I can find out the Wi Fi code for you as i work there? And have it in my brief. Also I think generally signal in the ground is not great. But 02 would get my vote !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am Cellnet no signal at all, however thinking about it haven't had a signal anywhere or received a phone call in 15 years

:lolol: that would be O2 now though.

you shouldnt expect to get any signal in the concourse areas, you are surrounded by alot of metal work and concrete, both very good at blocking radio waves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here