Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone line and broadband - who is bestest?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
OK so I've just moved house and found out I can't get Virgin anymore. Something about the street being too old and "heritage" to allow them to dig up the road for their fancy fibre optic cables.

Anyway, as a result I need to go back to having old fashioned broadband through a phone line and am reluctant to shell out for those rip off merchants BT. I also need to find a broadband provider who won't penalise or disconnect me for being a heavy user as I had a bad experience before with Orange "unlimited" broadband cutting me off because I used it too much.

So does anyone have any advice as to how I get good, speedy, unrestricted broadband access in a non-cable area without having to pay BT for line rental?

Your stories and advice would be greatly appreciated

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
I've checked out Sky. As well as having to put up a dish on the side of my house, which I doubt we'd be allowed, their broadband is restricted.

What's the deal with Tiscali then? Don't they meter their broadband use too?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
be there is a good suggestion if they are in your exchange.

as said llu is the only way for fast broadband

you also will have to pay bt for a phone line so factor that into your monthly cost.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
BeThere, ignore all other suggestions.

Samknows Broadband - Exchange Search

type ya post code in there and see what you can get LLU wise [better than conventional ADSL.]

I did read about Be actually ad it did seem very reasonable. But do I not still need to pay someone for line rental? And if so can it not be BT?

I live in a Be area apparantly

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Bethere is fantastic. Its truly a cut above the rest.

I'm moving to them when I move to my new house, Virgin with their throttling and phorm antics can sod right off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tiscali.
£19.99 a month
upto 8mb broadband
free router
free line rental (normally about tenner + vat)
free anytime uk calls
free anytime landline international calls.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was with Tiscali but left because their speeds dropped to a level whereby it would have been almost better to use snail mail than e-mail, plus the service kept failing. I moved to O2, partly due to the discount through being an existing customer, but also because they had a better reputation than Tiscali...the service does fall over from time to time, particularly during bad weather for some bizarre reason, but it is far better than what Tiscali had been providing.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Tiscali.
£19.99 a month
upto 8mb broadband
free router
free line rental (normally about tenner + vat)
free anytime uk calls
free anytime landline international calls.

Again, nice idea but as they meter their broadband usage this wouldn't be suitable for my home as between us we are hevay users.

Tell me more about Be/O2. As an O2 monthly contract customer I take it I get a better deal? But am I stuck with BT's linerental?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i'm not sure the deal on line rental, best to speak to o2. you're likely to have to pay it just now sure the best way of doing it! Will also be much cleaner if you do it as a "clean" install. I assume there is some kind of phone line connected up to the property?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
am reluctant to shell out for those rip off merchants BT. I also need to find a broadband provider who won't penalise or disconnect me for being a heavy user as I had a bad experience before with Orange "unlimited" broadband cutting me off because I used it too much.

I switched to BT after a VERY bad experience with Orange. I went for the cheap set-up option, and bought my own router and everything. I have to say it's been remarkably consistent every since (for about seven months now). When I go over my bandwidth limit, they charge me about 30p a megabyte, which I can pretty much handle.

BT. The John Lewis of broadband. A bit pricey, but not a ripoff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here