Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone In

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Currently talking bollox whoever he is - get rid of Reid FFS

After checking it would appear that it was me that you were speaking about.

I will now give my reasons for this statement and ask you a couple of questions.

When he is fit both medically and match fit he is a good player and would be an asset to our team.

When was he last fit?

When would you expect him to be fit wenough to make a contribution towards achieving promotion?

How many times have we got to keep players who are not fit and struggle with injuries. At the momennt we have Paul Reid and Adam Hinshlewood how many have we kept in the recent past especially as we have no money?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How many times have we got to keep players who are not fit and struggle with injuries. At the momennt we have Paul Reid and Adam Hinshlewood how many have we kept in the recent past especially as we have no money?

These are very promising young players who IMHO are worth taking a relatively-low-cost punt on, that they get over their injuries and come back stronger than before. At worst, they'd both be excellent squad players. I personally wouldn't include them in your 'dead wood' selections - tho I agree with you about Loft, Gatting, Mayo and Hart. And Butters, tho only on the playing side. I'm sure his massive experience can be used in some capacity. Got a coach for every other bloomin' position, how about a 'defence coach'?

Don't agree with any of your 'deadwood' selections among the guys fresh out of the youth team. Their careers have barely started.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As you say both Reid and Hinshlewood are good players and would be good squad players IF and that is the big word they were fit. I must say that the prospects of that look slight but I would happily agree with giving them a contract which takes them through preseason training and the friendlies and look at it again in August and then make a decision before the end of the transfer window. I believe that some opf the youth have shown that in the opinion of DW they are not going to make it and as such DW must make a decision on them. In that group I would suggest Rents, Fogden, even O Sullivan who although young DW does not appear to have confidence in him the others have played and are now overlooked. If you add to that MARTOT,in whom Dean Wilkins must be the only who can see anything in him, returning to Le Havre that would free up some wages to bring in some more players who are known to be able to do the business in this divison as MA did when he arrived.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As you say both Reid and Hinshlewood are good players and would be good squad players IF and that is the big word they were fit. I must say that the prospects of that look slight but I would happily agree with giving them a contract which takes them through preseason training and the friendlies and look at it again in August and then make a decision before the end of the transfer window.

Or a rolling monthly contract. That would appear to be fair on everybody.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldnt disagree with that but would not hold too much hope for them coming good again, although I would love it if they did because at their best they were quality.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Has Beach Hut been blown away in all this bad weather? :lolol:

Probably in France by now :D

BTW, If you had offered me the same chance I would have turned you down. To be honest I can't think of any thing worse than being on the phone in or any other phone in for that matter.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Always remember when I was on a media training course with the great Barry Westwood of Southern TV being told by him to remember that the host of the show was the angler, the audience were the fish that he had to capture (no listeners/viewers = no job) and the poor sod in the middle ie the caller/interviewee/ DTG/ Beach Hut were the bait. The bait gets eaten and is dead. The host and audience survive.

Also told that you don't have to go on the radio and tv. Sometimes better to be unavailable or issue a statement

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why have you written Reid off? He has injured the other knee this time.

When he played this season he looked understandably rusty and I feel that the options we have now are better ie Thomson and Westlake if we can keep him longer + El Abd as the destroyer/ball winner with Cox out wide there would be no place for Reid. The best he could hope for would be pushing Dixon and Fraser for a place on the bench but at least it would be a great improvemnt on Loft, that is assuming Martot returns to France.

I personally would love Bertin to eat humble pie and ask to come in during the pre season as I think that he would be the ideal anchor man and allow El Abd to contest central defence with Elphick and Lynch and Thomson to push forward but I do not hold a lot of expectation of that happening.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bertin has already eaten humble pie via the Argus.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
and the poor sod in the middle ie the caller/interviewee/ DTG/ Beach Hut were the bait. The bait gets eaten and is dead. The host and audience survive.

Blimey

:eek::eek::eek:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
It's Friday & the phone in thread from Tuesday is still here.........must be hanging around for someone to accept Harty's challenge.......where is he?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
When I was a lad Barry Westwood was my hero, along with Jack Hargreaves.

No sign of Beach Hut yet but I've not given up hope, however if he doesn't I'm sure another one of my keyboard critics will step up to the plate to stand alongside Dave the Dangler, Tom Hark PP how about it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No sign of Beach Hut yet but I've not given up hope, however if he doesn't I'm sure another one of my keyboard critics will step up to the plate to stand alongside Dave the Dangler, Tom Hark PP how about it?

Sorry Harty, I really do not have a good voice for radio, especially after a few bottles of industrial-strength Westons. However, you'll still be able to catch both barrels of my wit and wisdom on here, both before and after the match ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here