Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone-in thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
But it's not just been this week has it that his selections and formations have been wrong.

A manager can't keep on being wrong and still keep his job.

It's a results business!

When else has it been wrong? Opening day against Walsall, perhaps. He tried to play with a fluid system which he thought would work well with his new signing up front, it didn't work and he pissed alot of people off by not playing Gary Dicker, but it was his decision to make. As you say, it's a results business so he has to pick a team to play the game how he wants it to be played. He did that today, I don't agree with the selection nor the tactics, and alot of people won't I'm sure. But it's his decision to make, he'll be dissapointed it hasn't worked and he will accept alot of the blame. But it's still October, moving into November.

As I said on the forum, so long as he doesn't lose us the game at Swindon, I'll be backing him!

D

Deleted member 2719

John Byrne says getting rid of Wilkins was "one of the worst decision this club has ever made", how obvious that was to most football fans, momentum is everything in football.

What a f*ck up, it has proved to be and costly too.

:nono:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As I said on the forum, so long as he doesn't lose us the game at Swindon, I'll be backing him!

With the way the results are going, I sincerely doubt that he'll survive the 7 games before Swindon.

Rodfox

Jan 6, 2008
You sounded an even bigger tart, more of a weasel than an elephant!

We assumed you were trying to fish when you said about giving slade until December............Please say you were joking.:guns:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Slade still needs to play our best team:-
Kipper, Whing, Virgo, Tunny, JMAc, Bennet, Dicker, Crofts, Davies, Murray, Forster.

Play this team for a couple of games and results will come.

Unfortunately too many suspensions and injuries have meant this team has not graced Withdean's hallowed turf.:wink:

To sack the manager will mean 10 in 9 seasons. No wonder we find ourselves in the brown stuff. I saw enough last season to say stick with Slade and give him a chance, at least until Christmas.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
:thumbsup:

I thought the formation was wrong today and the personell was bizarre. But Slade does NOT deserve to lose his job.

Change Slade to Adams & this sentence could be a year old.......looks like we've got another opportunity to sleepwalk into league 2

bhamanandboy

Feb 17, 2008
I think Johnny Byrne should host the show. He's about as brighton as you can get loves the club and talks sense.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Richard Reynolds and John Byrne are fine.

Mike Ward is f***ing hopeless.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
John Byrne says getting rid of Wilkins was "one of the worst decision this club has ever made", how obvious that was to most football fans, momentum is everything in football.

What a f*ck up, it has proved to be and costly too.

:nono:

:thumbsup:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Explanation

When else has it been wrong? Opening day against Walsall, perhaps. He tried to play with a fluid system which he thought would work well with his new signing up front, it didn't work and he pissed alot of people off by not playing Gary Dicker, but it was his decision to make. As you say, it's a results business so he has to pick a team to play the game how he wants it to be played. He did that today, I don't agree with the selection nor the tactics, and alot of people won't I'm sure. But it's his decision to make, he'll be dissapointed it hasn't worked and he will accept alot of the blame. But it's still October, moving into November.

Could you explain, please, in your opinion, what would constitute unsatisfactory performance from a manager which would justify him getting the sack? Which things that are not happening now would have to happen?

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Hat off to you Ninj' for sticking with Slade and keeping the faith. I think maybe a few people on here could do with a drop of your patience, including me.

My heart says stick with Slade but my head reminds me of MA the 2nd coming... I truly wanted it to happen for MA and I truly believed that the corner would be turned but the reality is, is that if MA didn't get replaced with RS when he did, I think we would be playing League 2 football now.

Time flies and although we are only 14 games in, the idea for this season was to build the team then come out fighting next season for a play-off spot minimum.
I honestly think that the team as is, backroom staff included, are not capable of carrying out that plan.
The quicker the change can take place, the more chance we have of getting where we want to be in a few seasons time.

Bring in the new as soon as poss I say !!!

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Hat off to you Ninj' for sticking with Slade and keeping the faith. I think maybe a few people on here could do with a drop of your patience, including me.

My heart says stick with Slade but my head reminds me of MA the 2nd coming... I truly wanted it to happen for MA and I truly believed that the corner would be turned but the reality is, is that if MA didn't get replaced with RS when he did, I think we would be playing League 2 football now.

Time flies and although we are only 14 games in, the idea for this season was to build the team then come out fighting next season for a play-off spot minimum.
I honestly think that the team as is, backroom staff included, are not capable of carrying out that plan.
The quicker the change can take place, the more chance we have of getting where we want to be in a few seasons time.

very nicely put post i have to agree I dont want change but i have to agree with many i think its about time it happened SC is coming back!!!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Could you explain, please, in your opinion, what would constitute unsatisfactory performance from a manager which would justify him getting the sack? Which things that are not happening now would have to happen?

Rafa Benitez at Liverpool, 5 years in the job and built a squad consisting of a strong first 11 and a pathetic second string of backups. For the money he has thrown around and the players he has wasted, he deserves the sack. He is not taking them forward and will continue to hinder the development of such players as Ryan Babel. Personally, I think he warrants the boot.

It's not easy to show patience in this situation, you don't want to see your club failing every game and you ideally don't want to be in the relegation zone with the money we've spent! But I don't think Slade is doing a bad job, I think he's made some tactical mistakes and maybe the mentality of the team hasn't been right at times. But he is stuck with players such as Hawkins, Livermore and McLeod, none of whom he wants but who are here anyway and he's bought alot of players into the side and is still trying to bed the team down.

I think in an ideal world, he'd like to have McNulty fit at left back and play someone narrow on the left of our midfield, safe in the knowledge that we won't be too vulnerable on that flank. That seems to be the plan with Davies, Thornhill and Cox. But we've been unable to play that way so far. I think Slade would like to have Murray fit and firing up top, and have the ball at the feet of Bennett more often. But at the moment we are too negative in my opinion, and too focused on not conceeding. Personally, I think that needs to change. But I think the right man is in charge of our football club, and until he no longer is, I'll be supporting him. What he did last season warrants atleast a season of his own in charge, as far as I am concerned.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Rafa Benitez at Liverpool, 5 years in the job and built a squad consisting of a strong first 11 and a pathetic second string of backups. For the money he has thrown around and the players he has wasted, he deserves the sack. He is not taking them forward and will continue to hinder the development of such players as Ryan Babel. Personally, I think he warrants the boot.

And won the Champions League, got to another final, a semi-final, led Liverpool to their best ever Premiership campaign and bought in the best striker in the world.
I agree with your points other than that though :thumbsup:
Although i'd argue that Liverpool don't even have a strong first 11 these days
Carragher, Insua, Ngog, Babel, Riera are all pretty shocking.
and as for that Lucas... Words fail me.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here