Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Phone-In Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They're hardly what you'd call reliable sources. The ones who decide are the Football League - not Leeds United and not the media, who let's face it, love to create a story out of their expenses-paid whisky-driven heads, and pass it off as 'rumour'.

Surprised to see you re-gurgitating it, Harty.

Sounds more like sabre-rattling from Leeds United to me.

I thought that both parties has agreed to independent abitration. So it will not be the Football League who decides.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My understanding is that Leeds are challenging whether the league was allowed to deduct points in this situation. It is therefore an all or nothing case. If Leeds win then they will get all 15 points back, if they loose the 15 points stands. There is no provision for reducing it in this particular challenge.

So it's not the severity of the punishment which is at stake, it's whether there should have been any punishment in the first place which is the bone of contention, which makes the 'they will get five points back' notion all the more ludicrous.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
...which makes the 'they will get five points back' notion all the more ludicrous.

Why?

Wouldn't that be the ultimate compromise? The FL don't totally lose face because its been taken out of their hands by independent arbitration and Leeds get some points back.

Like I said Alan I hope it is rubbish but I'm also worried that its coming from too many sources to be just 'pie in the sky'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why?

Wouldn't that be the ultimate compromise? The FL don't totally lose face because its been taken out of their hands by independent arbitration and Leeds get some points back.

Like I said Alan I hope it is rubbish but I'm also worried that its coming from too many sources to be just 'pie in the sky'.

I too hope it's rubbish because for me it doesn't make sense.

By the sounds of things, the severity of the punishment is not what's at stake here (though whether they would make a claim with such gusto against a less harsh penalty is another matter).

In Leeds' eyes, they would have the same case whether it was a five points, ten points or twenty points penalty. They are making the claim that the penalty itself was illegal. What is happening is that they are trying to set a legal precedent.

The only way the Football League would lose face is if they don't shore up their own rules and allow this dumb challenge to succeed. To me, they will HORRIBLY lose face if they allow Leeds five points back. It would imply that their own rules are not watertight.

The other thing - and you don't actually need me to tell you this - is that often, the root of 'many sources' is just the one source. If you know who that original source is, you can set a lot more store by it. Once that rumour from one source gets out, of course you're going to hear it from many people. If that original source is the Football League, that's one thing, but if the original source is Ken Bates...

In answer to the question I said was dumb (Would I support Dick in any court challenge?), I would say I would support Dick, but I would be surprised if he went down that route. However, we are still a fair way away from that. By the time any decision is reached, there will be more clubs than us (Tranmere, Walsall, Leyton Orient, Southend) who might still be affected. That's when it could get messy.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
This season said:
Is this not what the 15 points were for as usually a new football club would start at the bottom of the league (like AFC Wimbledon)? Was the 15 point deduction given as a condition to allow Leeds to stay in league one??

If so not sure that Leeds have a leg to stand on as without the 15 points they would not even be in the league?

Does anyone know officially what the 15 points was for?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I thought that both parties has agreed to independent abitration. So it will not be the Football League who decides.

surely the role of the arbitrator(s) is to act as an independant go-between, Arbitration is only a means to get the 2 sides together it doesnt hand the decision to a 3rd party, if the f.l. then decide that the 15 points will stand they have every right to disregard any argument offered.......I think.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Is this not what the 15 points were for as usually a new football club would start at the bottom of the league (like AFC Wimbledon)? Was the 15 point deduction given as a condition to allow Leeds to stay in league one??

If so not sure that Leeds have a leg to stand on as without the 15 points they would not even be in the league?

Does anyone know officially what the 15 points was for?

See my answer earlier on page 3. Other clubs have had new names, for example Luton this year.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
surely the role of the arbitrator(s) is to act as an independant go-between, Arbitration is only a means to get the 2 sides together it doesnt hand the decision to a 3rd party, if the f.l. then decide that the 15 points will stand they have every right to disregard any argument offered.......I think.

My impression is that it is binding arbitration, rather than mediation.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Given that the play-offs follow very closely after the season, how could they push something through in time, bearing in mind there should also be time for any appeal?

If, for example, we got the 6th place , went throught to win the play-offs, would we then be swapped with leeds at a later date?

Also, if we were 6th and lost in the play-offs would all the play off games have to be replayed to feature leeds?

No, it's too crazy to let it happen.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
At the end of the day we need to put as many points on the board to make this all irrelevant. Otherwise we are all going to get our knickers in a twist over unsubstantiated rumours.A further point, 5 of Leeds' next 6 games are away from home and the only home game in that mix is on form Carlisle. So there is every chance that any points recovery may still not put them in the play off picture.:cool:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here