Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

phone calls from india?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
A few weeks ago I told a caller that my number was registered (it is) and he asked me for the ref. number it was registered under, I said I didn't know so he said it can't be registered then, I asked him if he was calling me a liar and he disconnected.

If you're registered just ask the person what company their calling from and their name if you can. They then get fined if you report them for calling you and youre registered on their "do not call" list.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I usually just hold the phone to my ear but don't say anything. It's hard not to laugh listening to the person on the other end trying to see if I'm still there.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Go ex-directory. We don't get any cold callers.

Unfortunately doesn't work with the automated dialing machines.
We get few calls, but when we do, I just claim to be under 16 and my parents aren't at home. I think they legally have to hang up at that point. Also works with those annoying people trying to sell you life insurance / AA membership in the street. There have been a few raised eyebrows when I've claimed to be under 16, but they don't want to take chances and will leave you alone.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Unfortunately doesn't work with the automated dialing machines.
We get few calls, but when we do, I just claim to be under 16 and my parents aren't at home. I think they legally have to hang up at that point. Also works with those annoying people trying to sell you life insurance / AA membership in the street. There have been a few raised eyebrows when I've claimed to be under 16, but they don't want to take chances and will leave you alone.

I don't think Yorkie can get away with that!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you're registered just ask the person what company their calling from and their name if you can. They then get fined if you report them for calling you and youre registered on their "do not call" list.

I have been doing that a while it really throws them when I ask for the company name, registered office address and managing director details. Some just hang up, some say they cannot give that info under the data protction act (to which I reply rubbish) but I have got a couple of addresses from them. Thing is I cant be bothered to actually write to complain.

What really annoys me most is when they start by asking "How are you today"

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I used to enjoy winding up the people who would dare call me up to try and sell me stuff on the phone but now I never get any calls and I don't even know why.

Maybe they're all in cahoots and after my regular outbursts have struck me from their register for good?

I don't think being ex-directory makes too much difference. It's the same as being on the tps, you're saying you don't want calls, but it doesn't mean people won't try to get around that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here