Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Stations - increasing shambles

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
I get my own back by cycling everywhere I can. However it gets me when I pop into a filling station while on my bike and they ask me if I want to pay for petrol- duh, why am I wearing a cycling helmet?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's one of the (relatively few) things over here in the US that strike you as being a bit more sensibly organised (the other being drive-through banking, which is a godsend): you swipe your debit or credit card and enter your pin right at the pump, meaning that you only have to go into the shop if either you want to buy something else - they advertise the little shop's "soda, cigs and coffee" on the pump but few people venture inside. Speeds the whole process up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's one of the (relatively few) things over here in the US that strike you as being a bit more sensibly organised (the other being drive-through banking, which is a godsend): you swipe your debit or credit card and enter your pin right at the pump, meaning that you only have to go into the shop if either you want to buy something else - they advertise the little shop's "soda, cigs and coffee" on the pump but few people venture inside. Speeds the whole process up.

They do have pay-at-the-pump here, too, you know. Amazing as that might sound, in little old backward England!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Almost don't wanna tell anyone but as you're Brighton fans:

Brighton Marina - 128.9p baby!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They do have pay-at-the-pump here, too, you know. Amazing as that might sound, in little old backward England!

What? C'mon, you'll be telling me that you're not all related to Prince William next.

Really? I hadn't noticed it, I always paid - and sometimes shamefully joined in - with the bread and wine brigade inside the shops.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm finding it harder and harder to be able to drive onto a petrol station forecourt, fill up, pay, and drive away.
It is sad and I feel your pain, but it happens to us all. As we get older and our eyesight goes, we have to accept that our driving days are behind us.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Tesco's in West Durrington (Worthing) has it but it always seems to be broken. Used to be good stacking up the club card points when I was driving 500 miles a week but they have halved the amount you get now.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

New Jersey is one of the two States left where you are still served by a petrol pump attendant. I’ll go over there every so often to fill up, petrol is cheaper and it’s worth paying a dollar tip to get served in your car. Makes sense to me as it provides jobs and is very efficient at clearing a long queue of cars.

Marshal Josip Tito

Маршал н
Nov 29, 2011
Yugoslavia
Bring back the pertol attendant.

Funnily enough out here in southern Yugoslavia we do still get petrol pump attendants, so you never need leave your vehicle. Furthermore there's no forecourt mini-mart to distract you. We have plenty of kiosks dotted about the place selling drinks, fags, magazines etc. They just don't live on petrol station forecourts.

Now admittedly we don't have anywhere near as many people or cars as the UK here, but consequently we have less petrol stations and yet we still NEVER need queue.

Unleaded costs about 78 Denar a litre, which is about £1.07, whilst Diesel is cheaper at about 69 Denar.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
When the early Tesco Express stores appeared on Esso sites they always had a separate queue for those who only wanted to pay for fuel and they were always given priority. Nowadays not only has the fuel only queue gone, the Esso pumps don't have pay at pump to speed things up. Of course, if you were being cynical you might suggest that it is a deliberate ploy by Tesco to encourage people into the store to buy things...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Morrisons @ £1.29 however do you think some of us could start filling their tank from either side of the pump and not queue in a nice long line in the short pump to tank queue !! That would speed things up for a start.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Unless you go to Shell opposite Preston Park, they spent a couple of months refurbishing it recently and REMOVED the pay-at-pump feature :facepalm:

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
I concur, wholeheartedly, There are two or three petrol stations in Worthing that I will not use for that precise reason. Yes, they were trying to milk more money by selling food and drink but, that has cost them my custom forever. It really is PRIZE ignorance to wander round looking at bottles of wine while waiting for the packets of donuts to go on to half price. people must surely see the cars piling up behind ?
This is especially annoying as most of the petrol station/convinience stores have parking places away from the pumps which could be driven in to after paying for the petrol.:annoyed:

Tesco one by north star and one at the strand must be two

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here