Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Stations - increasing shambles

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Apologies in advance - mild rant

I'm finding it harder and harder to be able to drive onto a petrol station forecourt, fill up, pay, and drive away.

There's far fewer petrol stations in Brighton & Hove than there was and many more cars so they're much busier and add in the fact that people go shopping for bits & bobs you sometimes can't actually get onto the forecourt.

And another thing - more and more - petrol stations don't seem to have any petrol! In Woodingdean today both are out of unleaded which seems to happen far too much. I couldn't get onto Lewes Rd BP on Sunday and then the next one, Tesco's Woodingdean, was also backing out onto the road.

All this and paying prices at the sort of level which i'd expect to be orally pleasured whilst filling up.

If you think wanting to buy a pie at the amex but being unable to is a daft situation, having £80-90 in your pocket earmarked for the pumps but being unable to off-load that is ridicolous

:bla::bla::bla::bla:

The next time there's some sort of fuel crisis, things will go bat-shit mental very quickly

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I think this issue is the same in all busy town's / citys, we tend to fill our cars up sort of "Out of Hours" what I mean is not in rush hour times that way we drive in, fill up and pay and away...happy days................of course it may be that some people can't do that, but many petrol stations are 24/7 so it should be possible in many cases.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have to say I rarely have any problem filling up at the ESSO on London Road (usually one of the cheapest in Brighton) in the evening rush hour on any day of the week.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am suprised how much cheaper Brighton petrol stations are compared to outside of Brighton. I always use Shell, and for unleaded premium normally pay 141-142 in Worthing or Horsham, its about 137-138 in Brighton at Preston Park.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I get ANGRY if I have to use the one opposite the Dyke Tavern, got to be the worst petrol station in Brighton by a mile. If I can actually get in there, I find myself queuing up behind someone who is doing their monthly shopping. Why can't they just have a petrol ONLY till??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That Tescos one on Dyke Rd IS a shambles though. All it needs is for one idiot to put 10 litres of unleaded in their Astra, then try to do their week's grocery shop before they queue to pay, and the forecourt is gridlocked, with the queue backing up along Dyke Rd itself.

D

Deleted member 22389

Apologies in advance - mild rant

I'm finding it harder and harder to be able to drive onto a petrol station forecourt, fill up, pay, and drive away.

There's far fewer petrol stations in Brighton & Hove than there was and many more cars so they're much busier and add in the fact that people go shopping for bits & bobs you sometimes can't actually get onto the forecourt.

And another thing - more and more - petrol stations don't seem to have any petrol! In Woodingdean today both are out of unleaded which seems to happen far too much. I couldn't get onto Lewes Rd BP on Sunday and then the next one, Tesco's Woodingdean, was also backing out onto the road.

All this and paying prices at the sort of level which i'd expect to be orally pleasured whilst filling up.

If you think wanting to buy a pie at the amex but being unable to is a daft situation, having £80-90 in your pocket earmarked for the pumps but being unable to off-load that is ridicolous

:bla::bla::bla::bla:

The next time there's some sort of fuel crisis, things will go bat-shit mental very quickly

I agree this is why I was get my petrol early in the morning if I can. The most irritating thing I find about our local garage is that people drive in the wrong way. Are people really that lazy that they can't wait at the lights turn right at the roundabout?

All that happens is when people drive in the wrong way is, they create a stand off. It slows everyone down. Bring back the pertol attendant.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I am suprised how much cheaper Brighton petrol stations are compared to outside of Brighton. I always use Shell, and for unleaded premium normally pay 141-142 in Worthing or Horsham, its about 137-138 in Brighton at Preston Park.

Why out of curiosity? I always use the cheapest.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That Tescos one on Dyke Rd IS a shambles though. All it needs is for one idiot to put 10 litres of unleaded in their Astra, then try to do their week's grocery shop before they queue to pay, and the forecourt is gridlocked, with the queue backing up along Dyke Rd itself.

Whilst I agree with your point about the shopping, I've driven past it twice a day for the last five years and never seen it cause a queue up Dyke Road.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

It hasn't moved from 130-133 for a while in Bexhill

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
In the Lewes Road area, up until fairly recently, you had a Shell opposite the remaining BP on the gyratory, a Texaco (was it?) at the bottom of Coombe Road, an Esso up Hollingdean Road and another one along Lewes Road where that 'urban garden' was.

Just goes to show how little is made at the pumps these days

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In the Lewes Road area, up until fairly recently, you had a Shell opposite the remaining BP on the gyratory, a Texaco (was it?) at the bottom of Coombe Road, an Esso up Hollingdean Road and another one along Lewes Road where that 'urban garden' was.

Just goes to show how little is made at the pumps these days
True, but then they're getting replaced by newer out-of-town ones... There just aren't many in Brighton because there's no land for it. It did piss me off when the one on Hollingdean Road closed!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I concur, wholeheartedly, There are two or three petrol stations in Worthing that I will not use for that precise reason. Yes, they were trying to milk more money by selling food and drink but, that has cost them my custom forever. It really is PRIZE ignorance to wander round looking at bottles of wine while waiting for the packets of donuts to go on to half price. people must surely see the cars piling up behind ?
This is especially annoying as most of the petrol station/convinience stores have parking places away from the pumps which could be driven in to after paying for the petrol.:annoyed:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Isn't the shambles that more and more people are buying /using cars (thus bigger queues at the Petrol Station) when really living in a city you shouldn't need one? Following yesterdays debacle on the trains though I don't blame them!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Most mornings Lewes rd BP gets a delivery which shuts down the forecourt from about 7.30- 8. Mental.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ha yes, very. Glad it's not just me though I cant fkn stand it and avoid it at all costs, usually go to the Shell one by Preston Park if I can, even if it costs more!

That one's a NIGHTMARE too though, due to people going in both entrances and meeting in the middle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here