Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol prices

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Its the same stuff, the supermarkets don't have there own refineries, they just buy it off the "named" ones where you buy it from.

It is the same base product but supermarkets use their own additive in the fuel which is not to the standard of Texaco, Shell etc

Also supermarkets such as Tesco may not have their own refineries but they do have their own storage facilities mainly on the Thames in Essex and have been known to buy and import very cheap and poor quality fuel from Russia, and then spike it with an additive to try and raise the octane level.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It is the same base product but supermarkets use their own additive in the fuel which is not to the standard of Texaco, Shell etc

Also supermarkets such as Tesco may not have their own refineries but they do have their own storage facilities mainly on the Thames in Essex and have been known to buy and import very cheap and poor quality fuel from Russia, and then spike it with an additive to try and raise the octane level.

True or not it's stories like that that will stop me ever using their fuel. Not worth the risk for £1.00 or so when I fill up, not to mention the fecking queues at the supermarkets near me.

franks brother

A few months back the petrol prices were the given excuse by supermarkets as to why my loaf of bread now costs £1.45 (etc). If petrol is coming down, then I think the supermarkets would be looked upon favourably if they reduced the key items- bread, milk etc.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
A few months back the petrol prices were the given excuse by supermarkets as to why my loaf of bread now costs £1.45 (etc). If petrol is coming down, then I think the supermarkets would be looked upon favourably if they reduced the key items- bread, milk etc.

Deflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Im not expert by anymeans, but i would say it would start deflation. I maybe wrong of course.

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Oil is traded a couple of months in advance (i.e. prices now are for something like December delivery).
The petrol you put in your tank today was refined from oil purchased a few months ago when prices were high. It will take a month or so for these larger cuts to filter down ..... plus, as someones already stated, consumers are paying high prices for a commodity they can't do without, therefore why cut dramatically so quick.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Why should they put the prices down? You've all proved you'll pay £1.25 £1.30 a litre so what incentive ha ve they got to reduce them? They'll just knock a few pence off and then pocket the difference whilst fobbing you off with stories of exchage rate fluctuations, refining costs, delivery costs, etc.

Nationalise 'em that's what I say.

We've only paid it because we HAVE to. Some people can opt to take public transport however some of us rely on a vehicle for our business. I cannot use public transport as I am a tradesman who needs transport to get from job to job !

Its the same stuff, the supermarkets don't have there own refineries, they just buy it off the "named" ones where you buy it from.

Not true-they buy it off the main oil companies but their retail fuel is not the same as brand name fuels.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Back down below $3.00 a gallon in Florida. Has fallen around 70 cents a gallon in just over a week.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
True or not it's stories like that that will stop me ever using their fuel. Not worth the risk for £1.00 or so when I fill up, not to mention the fecking queues at the supermarkets near me.

Fair point :thumbsup:, agree i would rather pay the extra £1 or so not to queue.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Not sure there is any truth in that story, , with fuel is not trial and error when mixing it like in a chemistry lesson when you add something and see what happens:lolol:
"spike it with an additive to try and raise the octane level."

My guess these stories are put about but the marketing people at the big companies, they got to try something otherwise there would be not reason for anyone to use the supermarkets.

scooter1

How soon is now?
A guy at work mentioned this morning that the Esso station at Hove Station was down to 95.9p per litre, whether thats what he heard or has seen it I can't verify, but they're always cheap there. Or the Shell on Old Shoreham Rd in Hove is generally pretty competative - and neither require you to enter the hallowed realms of a supermarket

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Why should they put the prices down? You've all proved you'll pay £1.25 £1.30 a litre so what incentive ha ve they got to reduce them? They'll just knock a few pence off and then pocket the difference whilst fobbing you off with stories of exchage rate fluctuations, refining costs, delivery costs, etc.

Nationalise 'em that's what I say.

Petrol retailing in the UK is a hugely competitive market... there is always someone looking to increase market share / sell a bit more / or a supermarket using it to attract customers.

If you think that anything the government runs is efficient, you are living in laa-laa land! :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here