Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pethick loaned to Weymouth

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Robbie has rejoined Weymouth initially on a months loan. Steve Claridge appears keen to make to move a more permanent one.

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Guess Peth and Claridge are old Pompey palls.

No great loss really. He's crap at right back, was terrible when he was played in midfield earlier this season, and we have enough cover at centre back. Only good point was a shot like a traction engine (not that he used it much).

How can you be so cruel? The bloke's an absolute f***ing legend. If he leaves the club I will be first in the queue with my £16 for the video of his greatest moments. I'm off down the pub to drown my sorrows...

pethick.jpg

xx

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
shame. i always really liked pethick and still think he's a useful squad member but with the money situ i suppose we have to clear out a few faces... :(

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
Desert Orchid said:
I won't believe this devastating ;) piece of news until it appears on the official website.

FANS' favourite Robbie Pethick is back at the Wessex Stadium.

The popular defender today joined the Terras on an initial one-month loan deal from Nationwide Division Two promotion hopefuls Brighton and Hove Albion.

The move sees the 33-year-old return to the club who sold him to Portsmouth in a big money deal back in 1993.

More recently, the ex-Bristol Rovers man helped the Seagulls win back-to-back Division Three and Two championships between 2000 and 2003 but he has been frozen out at the Withdean Stadium since the arrival of new boss Mark McGee in November.

Terras manager Steve Claridge says he's delighted to welcome Pethick back to Dorset, albeit on a temporary basis.

"I've been looking to strengthen the defence for quite a while and Robbie fits the bill perfectly," he said.

"He is an experienced player with a lot of league games under his belt and he will give us exactly what we need.

"He knows the club having been with Weymouth before, where he made his name before going on to have a good career at Portsmouth.

"He is also a great character to have in the dressing room and I'm grateful to Mark McGhee for allowing him to come for the initial month.

"Obviously I'd like to have Robbie longer but, at the moment, we're just grateful for what we've got."

Pethick signed for the Terras in early 1993 and his excellent form soon had the league scouts buzzing and he completed a move to Portsmouth just a few months later.

He then signed for Bristol Rovers before moving to Brighton in July 2001. His current contract with the Sussex club expires at the end of this season, a fact that has been noted by Claridge.

"Robbie is obviously hoping to be offered a new deal with Brighton and I definitely feel he can still hack it at that level," he said.

"But we'll get this month out of the way and take it from there."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Could be that putting Peth out on loan to a non-league club is a gesture by McGhee to show that nobody's place in the squad is safe. Might just help re-focus the minds of the rest of the squad on the task in hand.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Not happy about this.

Yes- I think we can get better players at this club, and we do need a clearout.

But he is far too good for a team that won't even be promoted from the Dr martens Premier.

:bowdown::bowdown:ROBBIE PETHICK FOOTBALL GENIUS:bowdown::bowdown:

Oct 13, 2003
The back of beyond
fatboy said:

But he is far too good for a team that won't even be promoted from the Dr martens Premier.

:

Who says that Weymouth will not be promoted!! Chances are that it will be one of Weymouth, Crawley or Nuneaton. As the table stands you have to say that Weymouth are the favourites.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
J Livingstone Seagull said:
Who says that Weymouth will not be promoted!! Chances are that it will be one of Weymouth, Crawley or Nuneaton. As the table stands you have to say that Weymouth are the favourites.

It's Crawley's year.

In any case, he is too good for the Conference, especially the bottom end, IMHO.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
J Livingstone Seagull said:
I agree he is too good for the Conference, but then so is Steve Claridge. :p

Not at taking penalties.

He's in management though.

Robbie Pethick the manager. That's an interesting thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here